I Am So Sad To Be Home.

Cory Wolfe

post-51-0-65079500-1294860574.png

Yes, sad. To put it simply... I really, really, really reeeeaaaally enjoyed NAIAS. :D

It was likely no secret that I was the alluded to third member of our C&G trio for Detroit, this year. As Chris mentioned after seeing me in line for the coat check, he had a pretty good idea I would be there. I had, after all, dropped $1200 on a new camera just in time for the show. If fact, I had one whole night to play with my EOS 60D before bringing it along and depending on it for atleast a third of the show coverage. I snapped, at most, a dozen or so pictures before the show began Monday morning. Not only would I have a strange new camera to use, this was also my first time being to any auto show, let alone attending as a member of the media. This is all thanks to Drew, of whom recently added me to the ranks as a writer. He began including me in testing press vehicles a few months back, starting with the Buick Regal. Since that time, I've also had the pleasure of driving the Cadillac CTS coupe, as well the displeasure of driving the Ford Fiesta. Afterwords, I suddenly found myself Cruzing (horrible pun intended) to the Detroit auto show. The experience of such is one I will never forget.

The night before the show is filled with excitement and a touch of anxiety. The thoughts of being in the company of all the major media outlets, as well as industry insiders, politicians, CEO's, and even celebrities was something I had not considered up until that point. This is, after all, the most important show of the year for many automakers. It's a bit unnerving to dwell on, and something I try to block out. Instead, I focus on the vehicles I have to look forward to; the core reason we have a show such as this to attend. Just as I begin to wonder into my gasoline powered dream world, Drew sets us straight and begins to lay down a game plan. Tomorrow will be a big day and we must focus on doing our intended jobs first and foremost. As much as we would all love to spend our time in Cobo gawking over the automotive equivalents of our guilty pleasures, covering the show is what we are here for. Laid down before us is the schedule of events. Between the three of us, we split the press conferences up. Drew, as our dear leader, will spend a majority of the time attending invitation only GM events while Michael and I cover most of the competing automakers. As a Volkswagen enthusiast, it's logical for me to be there. I also agree to cover Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai. Micheal and I both plan on getting a seat in Ford's conference while we are all likely to end the day with Chevrolet. Once everything is agreed upon, we hit the sack in anticipation for an early morning.

We start the day of the show running a little bit late. Unfortunately, that means missing Chrysler's press conference. As we head out, traffic doesn't do us any favors either. After the 40 plus minute commute, we finally arrive. Upon walking through the doors of Cobo, the presence of this show is fully realized. Everyone is dressed to look important. Expensive suits, sharp shoes, and aura of business-like attitude. I, on other hand, am dressed in a $70 outfit I bought at American Eagle two nights before. I can only imagine how bewildered my initial facial expressions were as I walked through the entrance hall. I probably looked like a scared puppy, floundering about. Continuing that trend, I follow Drew not knowing where to go or what to do. First stop, coat check. "Easy enough" I think to myself. After that, onward we go to pick up our media credentials. It was pretty easy, as well, and all we must do is get our wristbands before we can enter the show. With that small feat accomplished, we finally enter. Oh, the glorious sights to behold! This is what I've been waiting for all my life. It's every enthusiasts dream to be a part of this great show and I'm here. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with excitement as we walked through the show floor for the first time. But now it's back to business. Buick's press conference has already started and we soon learn that early attendance is the key to successful coverage of Ford's. This is where I begin to realize how hectic this place will be throughout the day. Each conference is scheduled with a mere 10 or 15 minutes between and in order to see the reveal, you must arrive early to pick a good seat. Otherwise, you're stuck in the back or off to the side. Such was the case with Volkswagen, BMW, and especially Hyundai where I had rely on nothing more than the live-feed televisions behind the stage. Thanks to Chris, I was able to get great seats for Toyota, Honda and Chevrolet, however.

Between rushing around in a state of confusion, I found a miraculous thing... Lounges. This show is absolute nirvana for coffee drinkers such as myself. Endless espresso, all free. During any skipped conferences, I found myself gravitating towards the Volkswagen lounge, whose cappuccino and donuts were simply superb. In addition to the aforementioned items, many Lounges also offered a variety of alcoholic beverages, even smoothies at some. Not only will they attempt to loosen you up, you'll be encouraged to stick around as you use their wifi connections to upload on the go. Connections of different nations are available, for all cultures. Walking about, the diversity is immediately noticed. Asian, European, Latin American, Indian, Canadian; every nationality is in attendance. The variety of languages you hear are evident as you peruse about. As such, most automakers offer media kits in those same varieties. Furthermore, these media kits are offered in all sorts of forms. Many automakers have switched to unique USB drives, while some stick with traditional printed material and CD/DVDs. Collecting press information was almost as enjoying as hitting up the Lounges.

No question about it, the best part of this show were the vehicles we were able to drool over. With the exception of Nissan, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, and Lamborghini, you could profusely molest anything you may have fancied. So many vehicles, so little time. I thoroughly enjoyed looking, touching, and documenting all of them.

I'm glad you had a great first experience, and a media-based one too. I've been going to new-car auto shows since 1990 (Philadelphia); started the New York Auto Show in 1995; and had the wonderful opportunity, thanks to some kind and generous friends who purchased an airline ticket as a present for me, to fly to Detroit in 1998 for the NAIAS (I'm dying to go back one of these days). It will be something that you will never forget about the rest of your life.

Drew, you know I'm very close to New York City, right? :AH-HA: I can't spend $1,200 on a new camera, but I can see what I can do to improve my photo taking equipment :P

Cory, about those media kits... you didn't happen to pick up an extra GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept one, did you? ^_^

I'm glad you had a great first experience, and a media-based one too. I've been going to new-car auto shows since 1990 (Philadelphia); started the New York Auto Show in 1995; and had the wonderful opportunity, thanks to some kind and generous friends who purchased an airline ticket as a present for me, to fly to Detroit in 1998 for the NAIAS (I'm dying to go back one of these days). It will be something that you will never forget about the rest of your life.

Drew, you know I'm very close to New York City, right? :AH-HA: I can't spend $1,200 on a new camera, but I can see what I can do to improve my photo taking equipment :P

Cory, about those media kits... you didn't happen to pick up an extra GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept one, did you? ^_^

We have a TON of pics of the All-Terrain... and a short video too

Ran out of time to finish reading this this morning before work. Glad to hear it was pretty much everything you wanted it to be, and more.

This thread is worthless without pics of vehicles and hot spokesmodels.

Sounds like a blast...I haven't been back to an auto show since Philly in around 2007...

For those of you who went, where'd you stay? I'm pondering a last minute, "why the heck not" flight out there to see it for once, over a day or two...

Cory,

AWESOME write up ... I can just sense and see the excitement you had of being there with all of the other media outlets, etc. I'm glad you were able to go. When Drew mentioned to me that a "secret" C&G member was going, I immediately guessed you, though I had a couple other people in mind, too.

:)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * ChitownCruiseNites_2011

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Do I really feel the way I feel?" __ Marc Cohn __ 'Walking In Memphis'