NYIAS Preview: Mazda CX-9

NY Preview: Mazda CX-9, Mazdaspeed 3 To Grace Gotham Show

Date posted: 04-04-2006

HIROSHIMA, Japan — The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9, the Japanese automaker's second SUV designed exclusively for North America, will be introduced on April 13 at the New York International Auto Show.

The automaker says it will also show off the new high-performance Mazdaspeed 3 with North American specifications, along with newly upgraded versions of the Mazda 3 range.

The CX-9, which will hit showrooms in early 2007, is the sibling to the five-passenger Mazda CX-7 crossover, which made its debut in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The CX-9, which comes in either front- or all-wheel drive, is powered by a new 3.5-liter V6 mated to a standard six-speed automatic transmission.

Standard features on all trim levels include air conditioning, power windows, power door locks with remote keyless entry, cruise control and six airbags. Other standard equipment includes dynamic stability control, roll stability control, and antilock brakes. A power liftgate is optional.

What this means to you: Mazda continues to target American consumers with its own unusual take on the crossover segment.

Posted Image

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109879

I had a post in this thread that got deleted or eaten by the board...

As I said before, I think it looks very nice and attractive. From the Edmunds blurb, it appears to be an attractive package with all the right features. I need to see an interior and rear shot, though, before I can endorse it, but that I think it could be popular.

Is this on a Ford platform? The headlights kind of give me an Edge vibe for some reason. I hope so...Ford needs greater commonality of platforms. I think they wasted a lot of money having the Mazda6 on its own platform while heavily revising it for the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. No sense. Have them all on one or the other, greater economies of scale, and greater profits.

same 3.5 that ford's going to use in the coming years?

Yes

AJ-V6>>Duratec>>MZI V6 family

Mazda even keeps the AJ- engine codes from Jaguar for the MZI V6 family.

It's apparently not a stretched CX-7, it just looks like one. Expect it to be a full E-segment crossover like the Endeavour and Subaru B9. The Edge and Aviator share the smaller CX-7's Mazda6-based platform.

Yes

AJ-V6>>Duratec>>MZI V6 family

Mazda even keeps the AJ- engine codes from Jaguar for the MZI V6 family.

It's apparently not a stretched CX-7, it just looks like one. Expect it to be a full E-segment crossover like the Endeavour and Subaru B9. The Edge and Aviator share the smaller CX-7's Mazda6-based platform.

Interesting..i wonder what platform it is on...a new Mazda platform or the Ford/Volvo platform that the Five Hundred/etc is on? I assume there will be more crossovers off the Five Hundred/Freestyle/Montego/MKZ platform.

Edited by moltar

I'm sooooooo sick of crossovers. 95% of them are wicked lame.

The SRX and FX34/45 are the only ones I really like. The rest are

mostly useless in my eyes. Even the Equinox, Torrent, VUE and

Randezvous do not interest me in the least bit. The Enclave is

anohter story all togeather. I think an Enclave might just end up

in my garage at some point in the future.