Chrysler Drops Social Media Agency After F-Bomb Tweet

10 members have voted

1. 1. Was Chrysler Decision To Drop New Media Strategies A Bit Extreme?

• Yes
    • No

Chrysler Drops Social Media Agency After F-Bomb Tweet

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 10, 2011

chrysler-hq-fence-auburn-hills-getty-580.jpg

Chrysler has dismissed New Media Strategies a day after an employee tweeted this out,

“I find it ironic that Detroit is known as the #motorcity and yet no one here knows how to f—ing drive.”

The tweet was deleted moments after, but not before it was retweeted accross the world.

A statement released today by Chrysler says,

"Chrysler Group LLC will not renew its contract with New Media Strategies (NMS) for the remainder of 2011. NMS has agreed to support us with an orderly transition until a new agency has been named. We thank them for the work they have provided to us and wish them the best as they move forward."

CEO of New Media Strategies Pete Snyder say in a statement,

"New Media Strategies regrets this unfortunate incident. It certainly doesn’t accurately reflect the overall high-quality work we have produced for Chrysler. We respect their decision and will work with them to ensure an effective transition of this business going forward."

Bad PR for Chrysler. There's a certain level of professionalism the agency should have held up, as they are (were) representing the company. I can't blame Chrysler for firing the agency.

See I think Chrysler went the extreme route. The agency fired the guy and implemented steps to make sure this doesn't happen again, but you still drop the agency? I think this makes Chrysler look worse. This is the guy using an Nuclear Bomb to kill a fly.. too extreme

I agree with their decision. If an employee working at any company dropped the F-bomb in front of customers they would be--and should be--fired.

Agreed, they also should have given him a Caliber SE with the CVT

Chrysler doesn't have PR people that can tweet for them? They have to hire an outside firm to do it? Weak.

From what I have been hearing, New Media New Media Strategies was actually doing a great job for Chrysler. I can understand why they would hire an outside agency.