This Isn't Chevrolet's New Small Truck but it Could Have Been

I prefer the production '94 S-10. Owned one. It ended up being my longest-kept vehicle, at 4 years and 125k miles. Only thing odd about the production truck was the weird triangular rear bumper end caps, which prevented using the bumper as a step with the tailgate down. Form over function. The '98 S-10 re-do thankfully went back to a functional step bumper.

Yeah, like 18 years ago!! :lol: I do recall seeing this before, somewhere. Cool looking truck, but gotta say I'm glad GM didn't go in that direction for the new compact pickups for '94 (though I like the nod to the GMT-800 pickups with the bed & taillight design over the GMC Centaur-inspired bed & taillight design).

And for those not familiar with GM concept trucks, here's the '93 Chevy Highlander concept that did showcase the new styling direction of the then new-for-'94 S10 pickup:

intro.jpg

highlander2.jpg

And why does everyone always assume that concept trucks are Chevrolets? Clearly the writer didn't look at the photos close enough:

1990 Chevrolet-GMC Sedona, interior.bmp

The steering wheel cover clearly says "GMC"!! Which would make sense, as GMC renamed the S-15 'Sonoma', which is close enough to 'Sedona' (Chevy stuck with 'S10'). However, I will defer to Oracle, as he works for GM and would know for sure if this is really a Chevy or GMC.

The sliding extended cab door is a pretty nifty idea.

Yeah, I would have liked that more than the hinged 3rd door on my 2001 GMC Sonoma. Too bad GM either didn't get it worked out right or it would have cost them too much money/profit to offer the sliding door.

Slightly off topic, but I've really grown to prefer the extended cab configuration over the crew cab. The area behind the front seats offers plenty of storage space if you're not carrying any passengers, and it's very accessible with the rear-hinged door. Plus, the extra passenger room in a crew cab usually comes at the expense of bed length, which is pretty much the primary reason to buy a pickup in the first place. Case in point - I can't fit my bike in a crew cab Colorado bed with the tailgate closed.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

wow im glad they changed the design. that thing is hidious looking. I bet the same people who designed this truck also brought us the Pontiac Aztec!!

I heard that there was also to be a new cavalier for 2002 but it was hidous looking too so they scrapped it and waited a few more years before they could design the cobalt.