W-body Grand Prix

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Sedan - 108k, $3,200 OBO

3n03m73pd5T35U15R4b3p5fd996be4b3f1696.jpg

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2285822718.html

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe - 134k, $2,500 OBO

3mb3ob3le5Y35Z15U4b4529aa85b99aae11b6.jpg

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2307790801.html

So the step-son will be turning 17 years old in less than three weeks (4/24) and currently has his learner's permit (behind the wheel test for license is scheduled for September). He, after not being interested in driving at all the last two years, has now developed a taste for wanting to drive and would like a car. My wife has not been a happy camper about this, but is getting more use to the idea of her first child getting behind the wheel.

He's been saving 95% of his paychecks since he started working at a Regal Cinemas last August, in addition to what his mother and I hope to provide (maybe the grandparents will contribute too). After discussing it with my wife, we decided a cash deal would be the way to go for a used car purchase in order to save on insurance costs. We feel $2,500 is possible between what he has saved (not using all of his money btw) and what we can contribute. Surprisingly, he wants an American car.

Yesterday while out practice driving and running some errands, he parked next to a late '90s GP sedan and commented to us that he liked "those cars". My wife was happy, as she fondly remembers her leased '00 GP GT Sedan. So I was told to see what I could find in our designated price range. Above are two CL finds.

Since I'm a member of AAA, I intend to take any car we consider to an AAA-authorized repair facility for an inspection. Before we get to that point, is there anything specific I should look for upon a first look of any W-body GP?

If it is the 3800 check the intake manifold. If it not cracked yet it will. We sell a crap load of intakes by Dorman to replace the bad ones from GM. Look for leaks or loss of antifreeze. Note the Dorman intakes have been fixed not to break like the GM one.

My buddy just bought a Old W body that was clean but had a bad intake for $1200. He already has it running

Also really check the rocker panels. Often they are gone under the Pontiac Plastic. Some are worse than other depending on the care.

We also lost the intake gasket on the 3800 SC on our 04. It took the converter and both O2 sensors with it. I fixed everything pretty easy and quick. Thank God for my work discount on all the parts I needed. I would have hated to have paid retail.

Sway bar links have been issues on some. Also random electrical issues have hurt some too.

For the most part these cars will hold up for many many miles with only a few random issues. Often most issues are not too expensive to fix unlike some imports.

Edited by hyperv6

i'm betting both are 3.8Ls the 99 is a GT.

i'd go with the newer one if it's in your budget.

should be safer, better reliability...

the 99 might have the gas level sensor problem mine has, which only showed up after ~130K or so.

the 99 might be easier to work on though....

Check the seals and for leaks if the car has lower mileage for the age... We got burned on this with the Regal, and some of the seals are suspect on the 3800 SII especially if the car isn't driven a lot.

Spent a ton of money after we bought it replacing a front seal, an axle seal, the oil pan gasket etc... it was leaking oil (albeit slowly and barely noticeably) like a colander because it was driven so infrequently (40k miles in about 8 years).

So far the intake manifold gasket is just sweating but I'm keeping an eye on it so it can be preemptively fixed as soon as it starts to go.

the 99 might have the gas level sensor problem mine has, which only showed up after ~130K or so.

I have the gas level sensor problem too. Always full!!!!

The fuel level sending units were know to have issues in all late 1990's GM cars. We had a 97 Lesabre, SSEI, and Sonoma and all had issues with the sending units issues. It was a common complaint on several years of GM cars.

Have an '03 GP in the driveway- bought with 29K, currently has 107K.

3.1L has had it's intake gaskets replaced, but this car been really trouble-free.

Only issue with it is that the power locks don't always unlock when you shift it to park- big deal.

Gets around 23 in the road froth that is central Jersey traffic, and power is very decent.

I don't mind driving it at all when I don't need the Silverado.