Latest Project

So I had some circa '71 GM seatbelt buckles laying around, left over from the Cutlass days (these didn't work because GM had changed the buckle/harness design in '72). Deciding not to let them go to waste, I decided it would be cool to put them to good use. After a few cigarettes, some glue and thread, and a cheap-o Dickies strap I had snagged for free later, I had this:

d67a7dab.jpg

Yeah, the pic sucks. Cut my 3GS some slack.

Sure, Levy's makes a seat belt strap, but it's nowhere as cool as this. While Levy's claims that they use real, recycled buckles, you only have to take one look at their straps to see that it's obvious they're just blowing hot air. However, this is made from the legitimate article.

I plan on making more and probably charging $60 bucks for 'em. Of course, I'll incorporate the harness into the next one, but this came out very nice minus the harness, especially considering it was a first try.

I should also note this one doesn't adjust, although you can move the buckle to various points on the strap. Despite of this, I let two friends try the strap out, and they could find a way to make it feel right, despite the fact the length was fixed. Neat.