41 Second Quarter Mile

The work that went into old #10 is amazing. I was at Summit Raceway Norwalk last weekend and got to see the Future liner for the first time. I even got to climb into the cab and get to feel what it would be like behind the wheel.

I am glad this group took this Futureliner and brought her back to near what GM originally did. It gives you the idea what they really looked like. They are much more impressive in person than in any photo. I had seen one of the others that was not restored to original and it just lacks the class of the Earl vision.

We sawr one at Hershey one year.

Yeah, you, me and Drew saw it at the 2006 AACA Fall Meet in Hershey; I saw it again there in 2009. I agree with hyperv6 that it is a great feeling to climb those stairs up into the cab, park your but in the driver's seat and 'pretend' to drive :) I did that in '07 and '09, but only sat in the two-person bench seat (behind the driver's seat) in '09. Even that view is amazing! I'd love to go for a ride in the Futurliner before I die (bucketlist item).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Btw, for those that can get to either of these shows, you can see it for yourself and climb the stairs into the driver's cabin too:

August 26-28 – Saturday & Sunday. Grand Rapids, Michigan. GR Metro Cruise. Location is Harvey Cadillac dealership.

September 16-18 – Dayton Conquers d'elegence.

Link: http://www.futurliner.com/shows.htm

What was the trap speed?

28 MPH

Really? They must be sandbagging it... it looked like it was going faster than that in the video.

My father's '68 Kurbmaster had a 235 6cyl and when fully loaded (probably about 4 tons), it was slow, but not THAT slow.

What was the trap speed?

28 MPH

Really? They must be sandbagging it... it looked like it was going faster than that in the video.

My father's '68 Kurbmaster had a 235 6cyl and when fully loaded (probably about 4 tons), it was slow, but not THAT slow.

Throttle stops may be the cause. LOL!

I think he let off early. It appeared to be faster up track. But keep in mind it can only do 40 MPH top speed according to the guy I talked too.

This is really a great show. Most years they have over 500 Show Pontiacs and 500 race Pontiacs. This year was a down year. Last years show had 554 show cars the largest turn out ever. I was pleased to get one of the 5 best in show awards. That one really means a lot.

Years ago they ran a Penzoil NASCAR show car in the 1/4 mile and it did a 12 second run. Not bad for a old stock car with a junk engine.

Edited by hyperv6

I saw one reference that said these were 30K, but that sounds closer to GVWR or original weight with one of the displays in place, not curb weight. I know their size, and yes; their behemoths, but they're not anywhere near the 'density' of something even from the 1970s. I could see it weighing between 12-15K, but not 30K. Doesn't smell right to me. I'd like to know the fact here.

My Ford COE looks like a monstrous truck (it's over 9' tall), but there's nothing to it, very few sub-systems, and it's under 3900.

For decades, the weight of a Tucker has been quoted as being 4250, it's in any reference book you pic up with specs listed. That also didn't pass the sniff test, and I challenged that to one of the founders of the Tucker Club, who admitted this was the reported weight of the heavily-leaded prototype, and the production cars weigh about 3850. Made real sense when you considered it was the size of a 4300 lb Roadmaster, but had an AL H6 and no driveshaft vs. a iron I8, iron trans & DS.

Edited by balthazar

I saw one reference that said these were 30K, but that sounds closer to GVWR or original weight with one of the displays in place, not curb weight. I know their size, and yes; their behemoths, but they're not anywhere near the 'density' of something even from the 1970s. I could see it weighing between 12-15K, but not 30K. Doesn't smell right to me. I'd like to know the fact here.

My Ford COE looks like a monstrous truck (it's over 9' tall), but there's nothing to it, very few sub-systems, and it's under 3900.

For decades, the weight of a Tucker has been quoted as being 4250, it's in any reference book you pic up with specs listed. That also didn't pass the sniff test, and I challenged that to one of the founders of the Tucker Club, who admitted this was the reported weight of the heavily-leaded prototype, and the production cars weigh about 3850. Made real sense when you considered it was the size of a 4300 lb Roadmaster, but had an AL H6 and no driveshaft vs. a iron I8, iron trans & DS.

Per the book on the Futureliner the vehicle comes in at 27,000 pounds empty and depending on the display could add 12,000 more pounds to the vehicle. Number #10 as it is comes in at 30,000 pounds.

The upper doors each are 392 lbs, lower side doors each are 486 lbs Door light bars each 204 lbs, and 540 lbs for the light fins with cables and these are the light parts.

So the 30,000 is an accurate weight of the vehicle. This is not a light weight tour bus my anymeans.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...