GM Heads Back To The Drawing Board With Chevrolet's Tag Line

GM Heads Back To The Drawing Board With Chevrolet's Tag Line

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

September 2, 2011

post-10485-0-86456900-1315023029.png

GM's campaign for Chevrolet, "Chevy Runs Deep" is getting retooled after almost a year of being out. In a report done by Bloomberg, GM found the campaign was bringing in steady sales, but not any increases.

“‘Chevy Runs Deep’ has maintained the brand but it hasn’t really moved them in any direction. The campaign has not boosted showroom traffic,” said Alexander Edwards, president of the automotive division of Strategic Vision.

Chevrolet adopted the tagline a month after Joel Ewanick became GM's new Chief Marketing Officer. The campaign was intended to emphasize Chevrolet's heritage in the US and make an emotional connection with consumers.

GM says they will continue with the campaign with ads that performed the best with consumers throughout the fall.

Source: Bloomberg

I never cared for this slogan much, it just didn't seem to make sense for a car company. But GM does have a problem with changing slogans every year, and not developing clear brand identities that you can have a slogan fit. "Chevy runs deep" doesn't really inspire me at all to look at a Chevy. The best slogan out there is "ultimate driving machine" (and BMW needs to lose the Joy crap), because it is what the car is, and it makes you want to drive one.

Really the only 2 marketing taglines from Chevy I can remember, are The heartbeat Of America and Like A Rock. Both of those are old but still stick in my mind.

Those were their only 2 good ones, although American Revolution was a decent one. I think they should go back to something with "America" in it.

Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet

See the USA in your Chevrolet

The cars more Americans can depend on

May the Best Car Win

The most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road

Like a Rock

The Heartbeat of America

Building a better way to see the USA

An American Revolution

Maybe another 30

I would love to see the use of USA 1 again with a little update to the image.

Anymore tag lines are not as long lasting in most cases anymore. The media blitz wears them out often in a year. Many companies often use a new one for each year and keep them fresh.

I would love to see Chevy use a pro American theme here in the states. I feel when times are hard people pull ranks and look for m ore at home. While the Asians may build cars here they are still Asian own companies. Only other auto company Ford could play the America card. With Chrysler now Fiat owned it would be hard for them to join in.

Something simple like Chevy America's car ue truck would play well. Tag it with an appealing American base song You can still Rock in America by Night Ranger or Only in America by Brooks and Dunn. These kinds of songs have wide appeal with large groups of buyers. This could be another Like a Rock.

Too bad they can't use Nazereth Hair of the Dog. lol!