Chevrolet Shows Off The New Colorado In Thailand

All-New Chevrolet Colorado Revealed to the World

post-10485-0-60480800-1317911176.png

2011-10-05 - BANGKOK - The all-new Chevrolet Colorado, designed and engineered to be General Motors’ toughest, highest-performing and most-refined midsize pickup truck ever, made its global debut today in Thailand.

The Colorado range is the product of a five-year, $2 billion vehicle program developed across five continents for customers in more than 60 markets around the world.

The new-generation Colorado offers more technology and delivers more features and value than ever.. Interiors, exteriors and major mechanical features are all new, representing the most-extensive clean-sheet midsize truck program in Chevrolet’s 100-year history.

Chevrolet will offer Thai customers 26 combinations of Colorado models, powertrains, cabins, and ride heights when the range goes on sale this month. They include single-, extended- and crew-cab bodies in high- and low-stance configurations, wide- and narrow-body options, as well as two- and four-wheel-drive configurations.

The range features a choice of two all-new Duramax turbo-diesel engines that provide a leading combination of performance and fuel economy across three specification levels.

GM Thailand President Martin Apfel said the entry of the new Colorado into Thailand’s booming pickup truck market builds on Chevrolet’s heritage of building vehicles that exceed the needs and desires of its customers.

“Thailand is excited to be the first market in the world to introduce the all-new Colorado, which represents GM’s most significant play in the midsize pickup truck market ever,” Apfel said. “This is a vehicle built tough for the people of Thailand, by the people of Thailand. It is a truck of which Thailand can be proud.”

Apfel added, “The new Colorado represents our largest-ever engineering and manufacturing program and demonstrates the outstanding skills and capability that exist in this country. Our manufacturing operations have the ability to meet the needs of the local and global marketplace now and well into the future.”

Based on GM’s global body-on-frame, rear-drive midsize truck architecture, the new Colorado is designed, engineered and executed to deliver best-in-class appearance, performance, versatility and refinement.

It also has been developed to meet the highest-possible safety standards wherever it is sold. Included in the Colorado range are features such as electronic stability control, anti-lock braking system featuring electronic brake force distribution, traction control, hydraulic brake assist, cornering brake control and driver and occupant front air bags.

According to Brad Merkel, GM’s Global Vehicle Line executive for Midsize Trucks, the Colorado offers the strength, design and performance needed to compete with the world’s best truck nameplates.

“Our objective from the beginning of the program was ‘haul anything, go anywhere’ – and that’s exactly what the new Colorado delivers,” Merkel said. “We have engineered it to meet the needs and desires of commercial and personal buyers alike. It can be a workhorse, a family hauler, a lifestyle vehicle, or a truck that plays to the higher-end premium buyer.

“That versatility is a big win for our customers. Regardless of configuration, they’re getting the features of a common frame and body structure, high-performing powertrains and outstanding refinement. There are no sacrifices in fundamental hardware or aesthetics, from a very basic two-door work truck all the way up to a premium crew cab.

The development of the all-new Colorado was led by a highly skilled team of GM engineers in Brazil who used their expertise to tailor the vehicle for a number of global markets, including those in Southeast Asia.

Team members lived in Thailand during the Colorado’s development, immersing themselves in the highly competitive truck market and observing how Thais use their vehicles and the driving conditions they experience. That expertise led to the development of new Colorado models covering three specification levels: the entry-level LS, mid-range LT and range-topping LTZ.

The new lineup was designed to deliver ride and handling characteristics unexpected of a midsize pickup thanks to two levels of chassis and suspension tuning. As a result, it is equally adept both at hauling and towing and at serving as a day-to-day city commuter.

The range also features an all-new global family of GM-developed turbo-diesel four-cylinder engines designed to deliver a leading combination of performance and fuel efficiency. The two Duramax diesels, built at GM Thailand’s newly opened $200 million engine plant, are available in 2.8-liter and 2.5-liter displacements.

The 2.8-liter turbo-diesel features a variable-geometry turbocharger for optimal power and efficiency across the rpm band and a balance shaft for greater smoothness, while both engines feature components designed to last for 240,000 kilometers.

The 2.8-liter engine is rated at 180 horsepower (132 kW) and 346 lb.-ft. of torque (470 Nm) with an available six-speed automatic transmission (324 lb.-ft. / 440 Nm with a five-speed manual). The 2.5-liter engine is rated at 150 horsepower (110 kW) and 258 lb.-ft. of torque (350 Nm).

The Colorado’s presence was created by the GM South America Design Center

in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and takes many cues from the three Colorado concept vehicles revealed at global auto shows in Thailand, Argentina, Australia and Germany throughout the year.

Design highlights include a power dome in the hood which, combined with a raised cowl, is intended to give the Colorado a strong, purposeful appearance. Higher-mounted dual projector headlamps are positioned beneath the power dome, intended to emphasize visual strength in the face of the vehicle.

Also prominent is the dual-port grille – an unmistakable Chevrolet cue – that carries a three-dimensional grille mesh. Chrome appointments in the grille surround, door handles, tailgate handle, mirror caps, and headlamps and fog lamps on high-level models are intended to provide a premium appearance.

Meanwhile, in a first for a Chevrolet pickup truck, the Colorado offers LED-illuminated tail lamps on high-level models.

That goal of premium appearance is also reflected by detailed sheet metal work throughout the exterior, including the hood and door panels, which blend layers of natural light for an uncluttered, natural surface appearance.

With a flowing instrument panel, integrated center stack and trademark Chevrolet dual cockpit design, the interior of the all-new Colorado combines car-like characteristics with the boldness expected of a pickup.

With segment-leading front- and second-row shoulder room, headroom and seat height, the Colorado is designed to provide outstanding levels of interior comfort for drivers and passengers alike.

Designers have also carried the premium finish expressed in the Colorado’s exterior into the interior with the use of chrome appointments around the shifter and shifter head; steering wheel bezels; heating and air conditioning controls; door pulls; door appliqués; and surrounding the radio head.

The use of LED backlighting in the instrument cluster and HVAC controls in Chevrolet’s trademark “Ice Blue” illumination is designed to provide a high-definition appearance.

The Colorado also includes several storage locations designed to be best in class. The regular cab has 16 storage locations, while the extended cab has 19 and the crew cab has 30.

Seats feature flat-woven cloth fabric or optional leather on high-end models with matching instrument panel inserts. They carry sculpted edges and have dual-density foam construction. A front vinyl bench seat is available on base models.

Convenience features like auxiliary power, auxiliary plugs and USB connectivity are standard across the range.

Thanks for posting this here, Mr. Monster. I see the interior is still plenty utilitarian, if a bit swoopier than the current truck. Very nice, imo.

I am still not sure about the front end. I like to call the Toyota Tundra an atomic tadpole... I guess this is my karma punishment, because this front end resembles a tadpole too.

The taillights are gimmicky. But GM has had plenty of prior episodes of this with their pickup trucks, where they try to blend car and truck styling with gimmicks, to varying degrees of success. It all started with the original Cameo, I think. And the Cameo is today a revered trailblazer of smooth-sided truck design (although I don't think they were the first, were they?)

Funny they got rid of gimmicky taillights when the Chevy GMT900 replaced the 800, and the new Equinox replaced the old. They just can't be without them for too long, I guess.

I am anxious to see the North American version. I hope there are some tweaks made for our market, as there were with the current-gen Colorado. I'd like to see a longitudinal version of the new 2.5L 4 as the base engine for us, and the larger diesel engine as an option, along with some sort of V6. If it is affordable and economical, I would go for the diesel in a heartbeat of america, along with a manual transmission and 4 wheel drive with jacked-up suspension package and knobby meats.

That bed with the exterior tie-down hooks reminds me so much of a first-gen LUV truck it ain't even funny, it seems as if it were lifted through time and plopped on this new chassis... the relatively flat sides and strictly rectangular taillamp cutouts only reinforce it for me.

Edited by ocnblu

ocnblu, I have a feeling the Colorado will come here just as it's been shown (no different face), but that's where the GMC comes in for the NA market (maybe it will have the tougher looking face, much like how the Equinox/Terrain are differentiated). I know GMC dealers will be up in arms without a pickup truck replacement for the current Canyon (can you imagine a truck division losing out on a pickup?), just like back in 2003 when the Colorado was announced as the S-10's replacement and the GMC Sonoma was suppose to die off.

• 1 month later...

That sure is an ugly little bastage

I like the way these two look (bigger rims & tires always make trucks look better :smilewide: ):

2013-Chevrolet-Colorado-Pickup-Truck-Concept-Thailand.jpg

2013-Chevrolet-Colorado-Pickup-Truck-Concept.jpg

But truth be told, I'm hoping the GMC is the butchier looking of the two... same as with the Equinox/Terrain offerings.

GM really should consider using larger tires on the low end trucks. THey look so silly with the undersized tires. Even my wife who is not a car person says they look silly.

Even if they are a less fancy wheel the larger size would make the trucks look so much better.

One thing I have learned over the years is a good set of wheels make a bad car look good and a bad set can kill a good looking car. Size color and shape of wheels are one of the most important elements to a vehicle. Lutz helped kill the silly snow chain clearance rule and that has helped a lot of the car with much better tire to wheel well clearence.

I expect the American models will get much better wheel and tire choices.

The low end trucks usually end up going to people who don't care about the looks and just need something to haul auto parts in.

From my experience, I wouldn't say that is 100% true... many people I personally know with base trucks tend to shell out some $$$ for upgraded tires and rims to improve the look of their basic truck. Not all, but a good majority (again, those that I know). In observance of base trucks in the wild, I see a good mix with upgraded tires/rims... but you're right on the dot with one aspect - NAPA, Advance Auto, independent auto part shops with base model trucks tend to keep the stock steelie rims and tiny tires on their parts haulers :lol:

I cans ee both your points. It's not a big deal as long as there's the ability to upgrade the wheels/tires and nothing else on the base truck. I'd always rather have an OEM wheel upgrade over an aftermarket one.

One thing I'm really starting to hate about the new Colorado - that bodyside molding. It really is disgusting, especially when it isn't body color. I like the truck much better without it.

but you're right on the dot with one aspect - NAPA, Advance Auto, independent auto part shops with base model trucks tend to keep the stock steelie rims and tiny tires on their parts haulers :lol:

Not only tiny wheels and steelies, but the trucks don't even get flush mounted headlights... they get those cheapie sealed beam squares with a super cheap looking grey bezel. Must be fleet-only options.

The low end trucks usually end up going to people who don't care about the looks and just need something to haul auto parts in.

My take is that the sight of even fleet trucks with wheels and tires that don't fit the wheel wells can effect the sale of non fleet trucks. It can turn a customer off before he really even considers it with the proper wheels and tires.

As far as I am concerned the cheap trucks should look good too. If GM offered based trucks that did not look base they could pick up a lot of sales.

I see many of my customers every day buy base trucks and spend a lot of money adding parts and wheels that GM GM does not offer on the cheaper lines. The money they leave on the table is money in my pocket. I think GM could do even more if they offered many of the bolt on options across the board. The guy who wants the loaded truck will always buy it but the low end guy would love to add a few easy options to his truck to make it more enjoyable and more a better value to him. Add this into the purchase price and it would make it easier for him to pay for it.

Edited by hyperv6

Well, I liked that base Camaro came with black steeles. I actually don't mind them on the car in certain colors (yellow, orange, black) with black stripes. What I didn't like was how much of a jump in price a set of alloys cost from Chevy.

If they did this for the S-10/Colorado, they'd need to keep a respectable set of 15s, 16s, or 17s for a reasonable price available.

• Agree 1

I may be old skool, but a set of 15x8 rims with 31x10.50 tires looked great on the S-10 ZR2, that combo would still look great on the new truck. This proliferation of giant rims is a mixed bag... the bad part comes when paying to replace a damaged rim, or replacing those giant tars when they wear out.

• Agree 1

Basically, instead of "Build a Bear", "Build a Truck"

Great idea! These could be offered by every GM dealership (not just for trucks). I know some of the newer dealerships have already taken a semi-salon approach for aftermarket items, but by expanding it so that the new vehicle customer can go into a specialized area, pull up a picture of their vehicle (stock photo), and "add" items to it that can then be installed and added to the purchase price, it would help make a vehicle purchaser like their decision more and help out the dealership's profits. Point though would be to make this AFFORDABLE to the average buyer - whether it's a full set of 22" rims, body kit, and stereo upgrades, or just a set of fog lights, chrome door handles, and a decent set of tires and upgraded rims for the basic vehicle purchase.

GM has several accessory 20" wheels that can be purchased for the GMT900. They are expensive as heck, but they're available. A Silverado 1500 LS with a set of those would look fine.

Don't forget the 22" rims the dealers are pushing out now more than the 20" rims from the past 2-3 years ;)

Well, I liked that base Camaro came with black steeles. I actually don't mind them on the car in certain colors (yellow, orange, black) with black stripes. What I didn't like was how much of a jump in price a set of alloys cost from Chevy.

If they did this for the S-10/Colorado, they'd need to keep a respectable set of 15s, 16s, or 17s for a reasonable price available.

I may be old skool, but a set of 15x8 rims with 31x10.50 tires looked great on the S-10 ZR2, that combo would still look great on the new truck. This proliferation of giant rims is a mixed bag... the bad part comes when paying to replace a damaged rim, or replacing those giant tars when they wear out.

Both great ideas! Make 'normal' sized rims & tires that offer a better design than the basic set at an affordable price.

It was not too long ago 17" was exotic and expensive. Today they are average as standard tires and price. I remember when I put 16" on the Fiero and everyone was amazed at the big tire. Today it is the smallest tire I have. In fact the 14' inch stock size is hard to find. I have 4 vheicles 2 with 18" on 17" and the 16". The new Colorado will not come with anything less than a 16". It could even jump to 17" with a 18" option.

GM needs to intergrate the larger tires as a factory deal and try to keep the price down. The Dealer Option wheels are just traps for people who don't know better to buy else where.

I think tires will stay 18"-22" as once you get past 22" there is little reason to go larger. The handling does not improve and I don't think the rotors will get much bigger. Styling wise would be the only reason and it would have to compenste the wheels ride with better suspensions to deal with it.

Most 14" tires are limited and I see the 15" getting less and less common.

The key to any new car regardless of tires size is to get the size matched to the wheel well. Also you need to match the size to the style of the car. Too much body and too little wheel can make a good car look silly. Just imagine a Chrysler 300 with large fender gaps and ugly small tires.

I saw a Silverado today that had 20" factory wheels in a silver that almost looked tan. It was one fo the best looking new Chevys I have seen. I am not a fan of the new trucks styling but the color and wheels really set this truck off. The 20" wheels and larger tires really made the 18" ones on our Silverado look silly and undersized. His truck has the same tow package but looked lowered. Ours looks like a 4X4 with fender gaps.

Edited by hyperv6

The 15" wheels would also lend credence to GM's determination to make the new truck cheap to own. 16" will prolly be more likely though, with 17" on the higher trims, maybe 18" on the sportiest trims, just like now.