Name That Concept!

My money was on either ocnblu or Cube, and Cubitar got it.

'56 Packard Predictor, roofline inspired by the '52 Packard Balboa (Yo!), I do believe:

sito148g13a.jpg

Note the monstrous degree of stylistic change from 1952 to 1956 - we'll never see that degree of change within even 10 years ever again.

Edited by balthazar

Interesting, and very cool. I never want to use google to jog my memory or my detective skeels, that would take the fun out of these threads, imo.

The narrow center grille didn't strike me, from that angle, to feature the trademark Packard shape. WMJ said this concept was inspired by an earlier one... that threw me off, because it clearly inspired the later Mercury Turnpike Cruiser with retractable Breezeway back window.

The front end doesn't look like a Ford design, on second thought, but the glassy roof and Lincoln-like rear end at the angle of the photo are what made me think Ford. I've seen the Futura, but it's been a while.

Well... they were thinking about a return to the classic Packard grille shape, which was more upright than the '50s horizontal version was. Reportedly --and this is the reason the Request was built-- there were considerable... requests for Packard to do so.

'55 Request:

MrMooerbyPackardRequestsm.jpg

^ I LOVE this car, I think it's pulled off tremendously well (classic grille on (then) modern envelope).

I especially love grillework that wraps under the front fascia. Giggity.

This car screams 'luxury' in a way no s-class ever could dream of.

Predictor looks somewhat ungainly here:

http://www.flickr.co...ard/5519038364/

• • •

RE the Predictor & WMJ's contention it could be production from the rear quarter view, I would agree, witness :

59continental-424-re.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Another shot of the Request, with a production '56 in the background :

177_4d0d420f378b5.jpg

And if you compare the Predictor to the following in-house styling direction, you'd clamor for the Predictor:

88.jpg

Packard Styling was really pared down to a few men and the rumors were swirling when these were penned, so....

Interesting, and very cool. I never want to use google to jog my memory or my detective skeels, that would take the fun out of these threads, imo.

The narrow center grille didn't strike me, from that angle, to feature the trademark Packard shape. WMJ said this concept was inspired by an earlier one... that threw me off, because it clearly inspired the later Mercury Turnpike Cruiser with retractable Breezeway back window.

The front end doesn't look like a Ford design, on second thought, but the glassy roof and Lincoln-like rear end at the angle of the photo are what made me think Ford. I've seen the Futura, but it's been a while.

I always liked the comically oversized butt on those:

1958_Mercury_Turnpike_Cruiser.jpg