Some standards I'd like to see the industry adopt

Aren't exhaust systems stainless already...the days of exhaust rust out seems largely gone (my '00 Jeep still has the original exhaust system). I haven't gone to a muffler shop since 1998..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

No. The industry can take of these things themselves. There's no need for a government organization to mandate such pointless rules to justify their bureaucracy's largesse.

You obviously didn't read the title.

Aren't exhaust systems stainless already...the days of exhaust rust out seems largely gone (my '00 Jeep still has the original exhaust system). I haven't gone to a muffler shop since 1998..

Some are, some are not.

Well they're doing a good job at adopting them. Stainless steel was invented, what, in like the 1920's? If it were so common sense, then why isn't it being applied?

I thought that companies were self-regulating and made practical decisions in the interests of consumers on their own.

• Disagree 1

Well they're doing a good job at adopting them. Stainless steel was invented, what, in like the 1920's? If it were so common sense, then why isn't it being applied?

I thought that companies were self-regulating and made practical decisions in the interests of consumers on their own.

Now you know I never said any such thing.

Use of SS has been adopted, just not universally - which it should be in such critical systems.

So where has NHTSA been on this one?

I know it isn't as sexy as back-up cameras and standardized stop/start buttons - but aren't these things just a bit more critical to the safety of every car?

• Agree 1

What exhaust parts do you want to be SS? The C5 Z-06 titanium exhaust is light and corrosion resistant, albeit expensive. I think industry should move towards titanium as much as it can.

Titanium is a fine thing on a Vette, but short of that I'd want to see the entire exhaust system of more everyday cars be made of stainless.

I admit that part of the reason I included the exhaust system in my list is because I despise working on/replacing a rusty exhaust system. However, it is a safety issue as exhaust entering the cabin is a hazard with a rotted exhaust.

That kinda sounds like "You don't want to cure Diabetes, Cancer, COPD... you'll put the drug company's out of work that's bad for the economy"

If they go out of business then the market has determined its course. If the EPA/NHTSA edicts it then Gov. has determined the markets course, there's a big difference there.

Edited by 67impss