GM design chief confirms Holden is working on Buick, as well as Chevrolet projects

By RON HAMMERTON

GM HOLDEN designers have added at least one Buick model to the line-up of vehicles being crafted at their Port Melbourne studios, alongside those for Chevrolet and Holden.

Existence of the confidential Buick design project was revealed to GoAuto at last week’s Detroit motor show by General Motors vice president of global design Ed Welburn, who was typically effusive in his praise of his Australian design team.

While Mr Welburn declined to elaborate on the model or nature of the project, he said “some very interesting assignments” were in progress at Holden Design.

“They are doing work for Holden, but they are also doing work for other brands as well – some terrific work,” he said.

“They are doing some work for Chevrolet, they are doing some work for Buick, and certainly they are doing work for the Holden brand.”

Mr Welburn indicated that the Chevrolet and Buick projects were still in their early stages, but that nothing designed by Holden for Chevrolet or Buick was expected to surface this year.

Buick is GM’s mid-range brand, aimed at North America and China, with the latter accounting for more Buick sales than the US.

Link: http://goo.gl/7BLDO

Yet another reason why losing Holden would be tragic.

would it really be all that different than losing pontiac or olds...?

i know it's a brand with big history and possibly a huge future, but those that work there could still work for GM, and the IP that they hold won't go anywhere. even if the brand disolved, aussies could still have a design place down there if GM thought it needed one....and could afford it.

i know it's a brand with big history and possibly a huge future, but those that work there could still work for GM, and the IP that they hold won't go anywhere. even if the brand disolved, aussies could still have a design place down there if GM thought it needed one....and could afford it.

No news here as we already knew the RWD is not going away all together.

We knew Holden, Chevy and Cadillac are active here in a RWD sedans and we also know Buick has been active in China with Holden based products and could bring it to the states if they choose.

As for the name Holden is just that anymore a name. WIth more and more Chevy product coming in to their line they are just the Chevy of down under. It only goes to reason Chevy here could and should get Police cars and a Sports sedan to offer here.

Even if Holdens name would ever vanish [i don't expect it to] that does not mean the people who design and the group building these cars would also vanish.

I expect we will see the Zeta replacment and it will be well designed to fit the needs of all of GM's Global divisions. I also expect it will lose a lot of weight too.

There is a lot going on and we will see some cool suprises here in the future.

We knew Holden, Chevy and Cadillac are active here in a RWD sedans and we also know Buick has been active in China with Holden based products and could bring it to the states if they choose.

As for the name Holden is just that anymore a name. WIth more and more Chevy product coming in to their line they are just the Chevy of down under. It only goes to reason Chevy here could and should get Police cars and a Sports sedan to offer here.

Even if Holdens name would ever vanish [i don't expect it to] that does not mean the people who design and the group building these cars would also vanish.

I expect we will see the Zeta replacment and it will be well designed to fit the needs of all of GM's Global divisions. I also expect it will lose a lot of weight too.

Your prognostications make me laugh, I can tell you this, Aussies won't just simply start buying Chevys, and if Holden goes, everything will go. If the AU government doesn't acqiuesce to the GM shakedown, everything that GM owns in Oz will go in 2016. But look on the bright side, at least your spelling has gotten better, spellcheck is a wonderful thing, huh? :smilewide:

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Your prognostications make me laugh, I can tell you this, Aussies won't just simply start buying Chevys, and if Holden goes, everything will go. If the AU government doesn't acqiuesce to the GM shakedown, everything that GM owns in Oz will go in 2016. But look on the bright side, at least your spelling has gotten better, spellcheck is a wonderful thing, huh? :smilewide:

Good to see some things never change and you're the same old souerkraut.

Looks to me the Aussies are already driving a lot of rebadged Chevys aleady According to you they must not know it yet?

Barina = Sonic

Cruze

Colorado

Volt

Captiva

If I recall correctly they are getting the Malibu and I would have to figure the Impala will land there too. Why yes there it is the Malibu on their web site under future models right next to that new Gen Colorado just like the one we will see in the Chevy dealers here. You can call em Holdens but they are still Chevys when you pull down their badges.

Seems like Holden is a lot more Chevy already than it is Holden, take away the RWD cars and you just have a Chevy with a lion on them. But then we also pull Lions off here and call them Chevy now on the police package.

They may keep the Holden name but Chevy and Holden are dance partners like Opel and Buick.

Edited by hyperv6

From a U.S. perspective, I hope that the Buick projects that Holden is working on make it to the U.S. as well. There is room above the Lacrosse for a big Buick

I would have to guess a larger sedan over the Lacrosse would fit them well. It would give them better leverage to compete down the road with Audi and others in this class. This appears to be the direction the are working towards.