BMW News: Spying: BMW M3 Sedan

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

February 6, 2012

With the new BMW 3-Series sedan making its way to dealerships, thoughts and spy lenses turn towards to the variations of the 3-Series. So far, the 3-Series touring, 3 or 4 Series coupe and convertible have been caught. Now, you can add the new M3 to the list.

The next M3 will be larger than the outgoing model. Differences between the M3 and regular 3-Series will include a wider front and rear track, larger tires, and body modifications. Carbon fiber components will be used throughout to help lower the weight.

Power will come from BMW’s tried and true inline-6 with turbochargers. BMW is wondering whether to go down the tri-turbocharger route to minimize turbo lag and bring power output to a new level. Rumor puts the horsepower rating between 450 to 500. A six-speed manual and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission will be available.

The next M3 will make its official debut within two years.

Source: Car & Driver

View full article

Well, if they go to a Bi-turbo 3.0~3.6 liter Inline-6 and the ATS-V goes with a Pushrod V8, they stand to lose the performance crown. The ATS is already a lighter platform. Combined with the lower weight and higher power density of a smallblock V-8 along with an absence of turbolag. The King is in trouble.

Well, if they go to a Bi-turbo 3.0~3.6 liter Inline-6 and the ATS-V goes with a Pushrod V8, they stand to lose the performance crown. The ATS is already a lighter platform. Combined with the lower weight and higher power density of a smallblock V-8 along with an absence of turbolag. The King is in trouble.

The King has suspension, steering, chasis, and brakes that the others don't. If a lowly 4-cylinder 3-series can do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, I am not worried about the speed an M3 will put forth.

Well, at least if they indeed go with a I6 turbo and if the ATS-V goes pushrod V8, BMW has ceeded power plant superiority. That helps. The rest is up to the GM team's ability to match the 3-series on suspension and chassis tuning. But even here they start with a lower weight platform which helps.

Well, at least if they indeed go with a I6 turbo and if the ATS-V goes pushrod V8, BMW has ceeded power plant superiority. That helps. The rest is up to the GM team's ability to match the 3-series on suspension and chassis tuning. But even here they start with a lower weight platform which helps.

BMW is not up at night worried about Cadillac's ATS-V ... Trust me when I say this ... Cadillac may even sell one or two in Europe too, this time ... :smilewide:

My friend has last years M3 fully loaded and it is nice and has amazing power, but comfort between the M3 and the CTS-V, I take the V plus there is more room inside for a big guy like me.

Plus I like supporting amarica auto companies. :)