The core of my faith in GM

While there is the occasional domestic or foreign model that gets my attention, there has always been at least one GM model available that has suited my needs perfectly. I'll grant that the number of GM models with the power to part me from my money has often been few, it has always been at least one more than the asian manufacturers have ever had to offer. To date, no asian manufacturer has ever built any model that I would actually spend my money on. That's right, nothing past or present from Toyota, Honda or their ilk has ever appealed to me in a meaningful fashion. This is not a case of loyalty, just plain fact. The future looks to remain exactly the same in this regard.

While there is the occasional domestic or foreign model that gets my attention, there has always been at least one GM model available that has suited my needs perfectly. I'll grant that the number of GM models with the power to part me from my money has often been few, it has always been at least one more than the asian manufacturers have ever had to offer. To date, no asian manufacturer has ever built any model that I would actually spend my money on. That's right, nothing past or present from Toyota, Honda or their ilk has ever appealed to me in a meaningful fashion. This is not a case of loyalty, just plain fact. The future looks to remain exactly the same in this regard.

HERE HERE! (well except the 3000GT VR-4....and the lotus.... sadly it is a Toyota engine)

but other than that...... :thumbsup:

Kind of funny for manufacturers that have such a wide acceptance of the buying public to have not made even one model that appeals to me. There seems to be something that they just can't quite grasp which comes naturally to the domestics.

Hopefully, the domestics will really capitalize on this.

Kind of funny for manufacturers that have such a wide acceptance of the buying public to have not made even one model that appeals to me. There seems to be something that they just can't quite grasp which comes naturally to the domestics.

How about a turbo prius? :ohyeah:

My gut tells me they will.....

Posted Image

Problem is that GM doesn't make a car that I both want and can afford at the same time. I'd love to own a Solstice, Sky, or Aura, but all are out of my budget range ($380+ for a decently equipped Solstice or Sky which comes standard with the optional equipment on the Solstice) and the Aura will probably be priced the same as a Mazda6.

Of course, I get Fords (Mercs, Lincs, Mazdas, et al) at a discount because CompUSA is a fleet partner with them, so that doesn't help GM out any...lol.

Problem is that GM doesn't make a car that I both want and can afford at the same time.  I'd love to own a Solstice, Sky, or Aura, but all are out of my budget range ($380+ for a decently equipped Solstice or Sky which comes standard with the optional equipment on the Solstice) and the Aura will probably be priced the same as a Mazda6.

Of course, I get Fords (Mercs, Lincs, Mazdas, et al) at a discount because CompUSA is a fleet partner with them, so that doesn't help GM out any...lol.

I get past this by cutting down on non-essentials like shoes and clothing. :AH-HA_wink: Just ask anyone who knows me. :lol:

Seriously though, I would buy an old GM before I'd ever look to a new asian car. In fact that's been my pattern, if I need to cut back I just find an old GM car that interests me. I'll be doing exactly that pretty soon.

Yes Z, there is at least one Zeta in my future. :thumbsup:

I get past this by cutting down on non-essentials like shoes and clothing. :AH-HA_wink:  Just ask anyone who knows me. :lol:

Seriously though, I would buy an old GM before I'd ever look to a new asian car. In fact that's been my pattern, if I need to cut back I just find an old GM car that interests me. I'll be doing exactly that pretty soon.

Yes Z, there is at least one Zeta in my future. :thumbsup:

Thing is, there are no old GM cars I'd even consider, much less want. I've never been a fan of late model Camaro/Firebirds. And add to that the fact that past GM cars were total crap and, well, I'd just rather have a shiny new Mazda3 5-door.

Thing is, there are no old GM cars I'd even consider, much less want.  I've never been a fan of late model Camaro/Firebirds.  And add to that the fact that past GM cars were total crap and, well, I'd just rather have a shiny new Mazda3 5-door.

For the price of a lightly used GTO? Not me.

I agree with you Camino LS6: I have yet to see an import that either appeals to me... or even matches the hype that accompanies any of them.

I spent 2 weeks in a '02 passat (with 29K miles)- why this car didn't have the amazing-fantastic interior I hear people bragging on VWs about, I don't know, Perhaps it had been completely swapped out for one from a mitsubishi because it was absolutely nothing special or appealing. As usual. Mis-aligned pieces, horrible seat adjustment controls, unlabeled switches, marginal ergonomics. Had 1 nice feature- the 'puddle lights' in the bottom of the doors. Whoopie-$h!. Add to that the regular mechanical issues it's had and the typical german throttle & braking lag, and the staggering subceptibility to cross-winds and you have a thoroughly marginal sedan. How & why people overlook these faults, I cannot fathom.

I would (and have numerous times) bought & drove daily a vintage vehicle, tho this comes more from an appreciation for a well-built, user-friendly car with a minimum of plastic than anything else.

II would (and have numerous times) bought & drove daily a vintage vehicle, tho this comes more from an appreciation for a well-built, user-friendly car with a minimum of plastic than anything else.

This is exactly what I have in mind once I sell-off the current fleet(or part of it). I tend to ping-pong between new and classic.

Import haters. :P

There are few brands that have absolutely nothing that appeals to me in some way. Currently, like... Buick, Ford, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercury, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and a few others. Luckily, I'm not biased like you bastards. :lol::D Well, except for Pontiac...

As far as ones I can afford (including insurance)... I'm having a hard time finding any used GM I'd want, including Pontiac. Sad. Same with a car for my parents...

I made the decision to purchase a vehicle way way before I wanted to. I never imagined buying a new car at 21. That's what I did with the Solstice and I havent looked back yet.

I'll agree....there's just nothing Asians or Koreans offer me that offer the same fullfillment. Nothing at all.

Where is there a lightly used 6.0 Goat for ~20 grande?  Thats what you pay for a Mazda 3 5-door Grand Sport.

I love the GTO and all, but interest on used cars is crap and insurance on the GTO would be high.

I've seen 'em and interest isn't so bad on '04-'06 used. Insurance has a lot of factors affecting it - call and get a quote on a few different cars and compare. My insurance is cheap, but I have a few discounts based on age, driving record, multiple vehicles et cetera. 20k is going to put you in the 20,000 - 30,000 mile range on a GTO, a couple grand more can drop the mileage way down, either way the factory warranty should still be in effect and extendable.

Where is there a lightly used 6.0 Goat for ~20 grande?  Thats what you pay for a Mazda 3 5-door Grand Sport.

I love the GTO and all, but interest on used cars is crap and insurance on the GTO would be high.

You can't get a 2005 for $20k, but there are plenty of 04s for $20k, and with low mileage too.

Insurance suprisingly isn't that bad for us. I think it's $700 or thereabouts because I'm not listed as the primary driver.

EDIT: Just saw what Camino said. My GTO was listed at $24k but since they had it a while we got it for $21k. It had less than 6500 miles when we got it.

You can't get a 2005 for $20k, but there are plenty of 04s for $20k, and with low mileage too.

Insurance suprisingly isn't that bad for us. I think it's $700 or thereabouts because I'm not listed as the primary driver.

EDIT: Just saw what Camino said. My GTO was listed at $24k but since they had it a while we got it for $21k. It had less than 6500 miles when we got it.

See? :AH-HA_wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a deal!

HERE HERE! (well except the 3000GT VR-4....and the lotus.... sadly it is a Toyota engine)

but other than that...... :thumbsup:

Actually, not all Lotuses use Toyota Engines, just the Elise and Exige. The Europa S shown at Geneva actually has the engine from the Cobalt SS, but a turbo instead of SC.