Next BMW M3 to have twin turbo V6

regfootball

I would have to doubt this in the immediate future, if you read all the posts on that story page and the additional links to other posted inside info from BMW, it seems the inline 6 has a long life yet. They might have some mules to explore this option just like Corvette has played with turbo v6 and other mid engine designs, but for purity, they always seem to come back to the history of the car and what people are expecting and they find a way to meet the latest rules on emissions, noise, etc.

I do think it is time for GM to up the HP of the CTS-V to close to 600HP. Put AMG and M back in their place and ward off th Audi S series.

BMW has already moved to a turbo-4 in the 5-series and 3-series, which both can already handle an I-6. I don't see what a 3 liter V6 buys them at this point unless they want to try and get it into a 0-series for some reason.

A V6 would enable them to do some future FWD transverse V6 model, as horrific as that thought is...

apparently the turbo plumbing on the 6 is easier with the V instead of the inline........ that would be a good question for Dwight.

I think BMW sees the writing on the wall, they probably need a more compact six cylinder.....maybe not for this car specifically. But others in the future may have packaging constraints, and now would be a good time for BMW to get a start on nailing it down.

Maybe they will do something crazy like a 72 degree v-6........

BMW has already moved to a turbo-4 in the 5-series and 3-series, which both can already handle an I-6. I don't see what a 3 liter V6 buys them at this point unless they want to try and get it into a 0-series for some reason.

A V6 would enable them to do some future FWD transverse V6 model, as horrific as that thought is...

.... but with a twin turbo 3.0? No way.

apparently the turbo plumbing on the 6 is easier with the V instead of the inline........ that would be a good question for Dwight.

I think BMW sees the writing on the wall, they probably need a more compact six cylinder.....maybe not for this car specifically. But others in the future may have packaging constraints, and now would be a good time for BMW to get a start on nailing it down.

Maybe they will do something crazy like a 72 degree v-6........

turbo plumbing is easier on an inline unless you run the exhaust up through the V instead of out the sides.

but back to the packaging thing again. BMW is already running Turbo-4s in the 5-series. Unless there is a major downsizing of the 5-series coming, I don't see them not being able to fit an I6 in there anytime soon.

A V6 M3 is a horrible idea. BMW's are better than everyone else partly because of the inline six. When the "what is the best engine in the world?" conversation starts, the BMW inline six is always at the top of the list. This can't just be about packaging, the 3-series already has a striaght six with a turbo.

Interesting that the new M3 will be 75-88 lbs less than the curent model, that is good news. But a V6 BMW isn't true to form.

• Agree 1

Well, inline engines are generally associated with ancient, outmoded technology... you kno; like pushrods, so the changeover just brings BMW up to modern perceptions here. :D

Uh, no. The inline six is more balanced and smoother than a V6 or V8 for that matter. I've driven the non turbo straight six in a BMW, it is fantastic.

Well, inline engines are generally associated with ancient, outmoded technology... you kno; like pushrods, so the changeover just brings BMW up to modern perceptions here. :D

Uh, no. The inline six is more balanced and smoother than a V6 or V8 for that matter. I've driven the non turbo straight six in a BMW, it is fantastic.

We are not saying that is not a true fact of the BMW inline 6, just like I thought Jeeps and GM inline 6 were amazing motors.

But one has to realize like Balthazar stated, perception is that a V6 is more modern than the Log of an I6. Marketing has done their job. You would not believe the amount of people I have run into that wonder how BMW has survived with old I6 engines. Course their Marketing effort has focused on the driving machine, over all car peception, but there are still those that wonder about the engine.

The BMW 3-series has had a straight six forver, and for 30 years every auto magazie or website has claimed it the best sport sedan there is. Even Cadillac and Lexus say the 3-series is the best sport sedan and that it is what they have targeted with the ATS and IS350. I don't think anyone is claimining a straight six to be past it's prime, if it was, the 3-series wouldn't be the gold standard that everyone is chasing. BMW sells over 1 million cars a year and the straight six whether it be gas or diesel is the bread and butter of their line up.

Furthermore, the 335i will still have a straight six, the 535i will also. Why make a V6 for just the M3 when the rest of the line has inline, and the inline is better. They are setting themselves up for the 335i to have a better engine than the M3.

Guess BMW's way of getting people ready for the over heavy hand of politicians telling people what they can drive. Gotta protect you from you even if you did not ask.

Not a happy camper on the overly heavy regulations.

Ford F-150 had a inline 6 "forever" also, it was the last to change over to the 'more modern' V design.

BMW is still the last OEM still badging their engines as 'injected', so finally switching over to a V6 decades after most everyone else did is par for their course. :smilewide:

No worries; the V6 is likely to take a volume back seat to the 4-banger... and at least that is still an inline. :P

Edited by balthazar
  • Disagree 1