GM license plate trivia

Once commonplace, a great many cars had rear license plates that could be swung downward, as the fuel filler pipe was concealed behind them. When you finished refueling & let the plate go, it returned to it's flush-mounted position, obviously so it could be read when the car was in motion.

But there was a GM car that the rear plate would (by design) swing downward while the car was in motion. What, when & why did this occur?

Old Corvette to allow the exhuast to flow?

Is this the 69 License plate bracket that was on some Chevys and Pontiacs?

GM is selling OEM Replacements

Fits many Chevrolets and Pontiacs from 1969 to 1969

Brand: GM Performance Parts

Auto Part #: 3945756

Original GM quality! Technically correct. EDP coated black as original.

Edited by dfelt

My guess: full-size station wagons. When the tailgate was in the down position, the plate would swing down so it still could be read.

The judges are going to give it to you, ROg, as you got the concept quite right... tho this is the car pic I saw that sparked the question :

1959+Chevrolet+El+Camino+bed.jpg

This was a feature I wish the last of the B-bod wagons had. I must have ran around 100 trips with the tailgate down before I realized that one could not read the rear plate like that.

My previously owned B-wags had them in the bumper.

Edited by SAmadei

My guess: full-size station wagons. When the tailgate was in the down position, the plate would swing down so it still could be read.

The judges are going to give it to you, ROg, as you got the concept quite right... tho this is the car pic I saw that sparked the question :

1959+Chevrolet+El+Camino+bed.jpg

Wow, that was just a lucky guess. Didn't even think of the El Camino. :smilewide:

Didn't some of the '40s-50s vintage wagons also have tailights that swung down when the tailgate was open (along w/ the license plate)? I think I've seen pics of something like that..

Nothing is ringing a bell with me on that- would like to see some pics if you remember what it/they were.

Tails on the tailgate is unusual for that period.

I love detail stuff like this...

Edited by balthazar

Didn't some of the '40s-50s vintage wagons also have tailights that swung down when the tailgate was open (along w/ the license plate)? I think I've seen pics of something like that..

Nothing is ringing a bell with me on that- would like to see some pics if you remember what it/they were.

Tails on the tailgate is unusual for that period.

I love detail stuff like this...

Not a GM, but the '49-51 Ford wagons appear to work that way...

outside%20-%20005.JPG

Hard to see in this ad, but the tailight is hanging down under the open tailgate...

wagon.jpg

Here's another pic like that..

htt1949_Ford_Woodie_Wagon_For_Sale_resize.jpg

Looks like teh '49 Chevy wagon may have worked the same way, note the location of the taillight

1949_Chevy_Styleline_DeLuxe_2a.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Its amazing that 1949 GM and Ford came up with this, but 1990's GM and 1980's Ford didn't. That's design by committee right there.

I'd imagine something like that wouldn't be legal by the '80s-90s..

That taillight design is so similar, it makes me think the Chevy and Ford wagon bodies were contracted out to the same company...

And on Balthy's '59 wagon photo, do Eye Spy a period Pep Boys accessory... a fake exhaust hole low on the quarter panel?

Its amazing that 1949 GM and Ford came up with this, but 1990's GM and 1980's Ford didn't. That's design by committee right there.

I'm not talking about the light, per se, but the swivel up license plate. Both the '80s Crown Vic wagons and the '91-on B-bodies wagons have the fold down tailgate with the license plate on it... how is that a legal solution, knowing full well that people use the wagons with the tailgates down?

I'm not talking about the light, per se, but the swivel up license plate. Both the '80s Crown Vic wagons and the '91-on B-bodies wagons have the fold down tailgate with the license plate on it... how is that a legal solution, knowing full well that people use the wagons with the tailgates down?

Is it legal to drive a wagon w/ the taillgate down?

Wow, OK; the Ford has a rod that pivots the assembly down. That is pretty cool. Looks like the Chevy just hangs out.

Guess I also learned that tailgate lamps were more common than I thought. Still learnin'.... ;)

>>"And on Balthy's '59 wagon photo, do Eye Spy a period Pep Boys accessory... a fake exhaust hole low on the quarter panel? "<<

ocn- I've seen those on numerous C-59 Imps, I seem to recall it was either factory or dealer installed. Sometimes they're doubled-up:

Inpala%20original%20front%20quarter.jpg

Is it legal to drive a wagon w/ the taillgate down?

No less so than to drive a pickup with the tailgate down.

If you drive a vehicle that has its plate disappear with the tailgate down, I'm sure it would give the police a reason to hassle you. But you can get equipment tickets on brand new, unmodified OEM cars, too, if a cop is in a bad enough mood.

So far, I never got pulled over for it, but I don't like such grey areas.