Lexus News: Lexus Changes Their Hybrid Philosophy

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

May 18, 2012

Lexus has a different philosophy on hybrids than their parent company, Toyota.

Toyota has opted to use hybrids to deliver maximum fuel economy above all else (see the Prius). Lexus on the other hand uses hybrids as a way to provide performance of large engine, while delivering the fuel economy of a smaller engine. For example, the GS450h delivers performance equal to that of a V8, but gets V6 fuel economy. However, it seems Lexus is changing their mindset.

Lexus ES and LS product planner Ketan Renade told AutoGuide that sales of the GS and LS hybrids have been extremely slow.

“We did studies and focus groups and people said, ‘hybrid equals mpg’”, says Renade. “Cars with 400 and 500 HP are great, but no one is buying them.”

Starting with the new ES300h, Lexus will put more of a mindset on fuel economy than performance. The ES300h uses a four-cylinder engine with Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system to deliver 200 HP and 39 MPG combined.

As for other Lexus hybrid models, Renade almost confirmed the next generation LS hybrid will go down the same route.

“If we did a future hybrid Lexus LS, it would go V6 hybrid,” said Renade.

Source: AutoGuide

View full article

Lexus needs to realize that you have two types of customers.

Those that can afford 50-100K auto's and will want the Hybrid Performance. That is a name plate I believe all auto makers should use.

Then you have those that stretch to get into the 30-50K auto's and having a luxury name plate is desired, but they still count their pennies and these people are wanting the Hybrid = MPG. So it makes sense to have a 200h that is all about MPG and then have a 300H Performance that is all about the driving machine.

I hope cadillac will kep this in mind when they bring out the ELR, it would be good to have an ELR base model with good, solid MPG and then move up to a ELR Performance Edition. :D

Quick, someone forward this article to the Acura project manager for the RL.

Boy that would give them real performance than. :P

It is rather interesting that Lexus discovered what parent company Toyota created 12 years ago with the Prius. I wonder why anyone would want to buy a luxury hybrid. Seriously, the Pruis (or the upcoming C-Max) is all you really need in order to say, "I am green." What Lexus ought to focus on is stopping the uglification of their exteriors. The competition, especially Cadillac, is no longer sleeping at the wheel.

Those that can afford 50-100K auto's and will want the Hybrid Performance. That is a name plate I believe all auto makers should use.

Then you have those that stretch to get into the 30-50K auto's and having a luxury name plate is desired, but they still count their pennies and these people are wanting the Hybrid = MPG. So it makes sense to have a 200h that is all about MPG and then have a 300H Performance that is all about the driving machine.

I hope cadillac will kep this in mind when they bring out the ELR, it would be good to have an ELR base model with good, solid MPG and then move up to a ELR Performance Edition. :D

Perhaps a 3rd customer, that would spend $50-100k on a high lux, high mpg hybrid. You know, rich eco enthusiasts, like half of hollywood.

Perhaps a 3rd customer, that would spend $50-100k on a high lux, high mpg hybrid. You know, rich eco enthusiasts, like half of hollywood.

Tesla Model S is sold out til the end of 2013.

Tesla Model S is sold out til the end of 2013.

There ya go.

snapback.pngpow, on , said:

snapback.pngPurdueGuy, on , said:

snapback.pngdfelt, on , said:

Perhaps a 3rd customer, that would spend $50-100k on a high lux, high mpg hybrid. You know, rich eco enthusiasts, like half of hollywood.Tesla Model S is sold out til the end of 2013.

There ya go.

Or the Fisker Karma if you don't mind your garage maybe burning down.