ocnblu

*whew!!!* *pant*pant*pant*

54 posts in this topic

ocnblu    777

Still not Tuckered out yet... what a beauty!

• Upvote 2

Turbojett    103

don't have phones at the moment, so no audio, but is that just a one-off/custom chop job/concept, etc.?

it is wicked awesome though.

Edited by Turbojett

ocnblu    777

According to the video, it was the real thing, never finished by the factory. The top mechanism was factory, but there was apparently rust to contend with and some fabrication had to be done for some of the body panels.

balthazar    2,017

Yeah; no. Been a Tucker fan for 20 years + now, check in regularly with the TACA board, have my treasured letter from Alex Tremulis safely filed.....

the convert is NOT club recognized, it's NOT documented, and it's been completely debunked by Tremulis himself. It's a clone.

I've seen the pics; the 'panel rust repairs' were coincidentally located primarily where a roof was cut off, and rear doors were replaced by quarter panel. Yeah.

Edited by balthazar

ocnblu    777

Thanks fer showin' up and puttin' this issue to bed. I am officially Tuckered out now. Thought something was odd when he said he had to modify some of the body panels.

balthazar    2,017

Agreed- it turned out very well.

However, I don't think turning one into a convertible added a single thing to the car. It's worse from a design standpoint, IMO.

The Tucker works aesthetically at it's zenith as a 4-dr 'torpedo-backed' sedan.

balthazar    2,017

Initially, yes. Tucker was working on it's trans, the R1, which had far fewer moving parts than contemporaries. I believe only maybe 2 or 3 (may be only 1) got that trans tho. There was also a full manual in a few cars.

Drew Dowdell    5,169

Initially, yes. Tucker was working on it's trans, the R1, which had far fewer moving parts than contemporaries. I believe only maybe 2 or 3 (may be only 1) got that trans tho. There was also a full manual in a few cars.

So does the engine/transmission sit entirely behind the rear wheels then? Or is there some 180 degree bend in the power flow going on? I seem to remember some eastern block, rear engined thing having a set up with the powertrain completely behind the rear wheels and reading that it has dangerous handling tendencies due to weight imbalance.

Turbojett    103

Not sure how the gearbox in situated on the old VW platform (If the Porsches are any idication, I'm thinking the gearbox is over/ahead of the axle) but I seem to remember seeing old prewar Renaults or maybe Citroens (or some French car) with gearboxes laterally mounted behind even the engine (How in the world it gets to the axle is another story). NSU's might be situated the same way. Not sure though.

Edited by Turbojett

balthazar    2,017

Tucker engine is located entirely behind the axle centerline.

I don't have a weight distribution number handy (not sure it was ever measured), but the flat 6 was AL.

Handling was remarkably good for the period from the majority opinion I've read.

BTW- every published weight you see online is wrong- they all regurgitate the weight of the prototype.

The non-prototype cars were right about 3850 lbs (most accounts say 4235).

I have a cut-away drawing I can upload if you guys need to see it.

Edited by balthazar

dfelt    1,874

Might not be a true tucker but a beaut none the less and I love the Trans! This guy was ahead of his time and scared idiots destroyed him.

I've seen a couple of them during Scottsdale auction week in the last couple years...a blue restored one at Barrett-Jackson this year and a pale blue unrestored barn find one at Gooding & Company last year...interesting cars.

I thought all Tuckers were accounted for so there really can't be any "barn finds"

This one was found in a garage in Washington in '10.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-01-27/classified/sc-cons-0127-autocover-20110127_1_tucker-automobile-club-alex-tremulis-pilot-cars

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Upvote 1

balthazar    2,017

^ RIght Olds. #1010 was termed 'barn find' because it had been sitting in a barn/garage since 1956, but it's location was well known to the inner circle guys.

There are zero unknown Tuckers left to find.

ocnblu    777

So there must be documentation somewhere showing the sedan that was converted into a goodlooking convertible. Which build number was the donor car? Was it mentioned in the video I posted? Why would a sane person "destroy" a precious Tucker when it could be verified a fake? Not saying it's not fake, I just think it would have been worth so much more restored to original condition. I mean they had to pay more for it than it is worth now. :huh:

Edited by ocnblu

A goog turned up this list..

http://www.tuckerclu...ee_a_tucker.php

So there must be documentation somewhere showing the sedan that was converted into a goodlooking convertible. Which build number was the donor car? Was it mentioned in the video I posted? Why would a sane person "destroy" a precious Tucker when it could be verified a fake? Not saying it's not fake, I just think it would have been worth so much more restored to original condition. I mean they had to pay more for it than it is worth now. :huh:

#57 according to tuckerconvertible.com. But hasn't that story been debunked as fake?

http://tuckerconvertible.com/story.php

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.