Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Volt Production Halts Again

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

August 29, 2012

For a second time this year, General Motors is putting the brakes on Volt production. According to Automotive News, the company plans to shut down the Detroit-Hamtramck from September 17 until October 15.

Why? Well there are two reasons as to this. A GM spokesman tells Motor Trend, "the plant will be idled to match inventory with production, as well as retooling to get ready for 2014 Impala production."

The 'match inventory with production' most likely is in reference to the Chevrolet Volt. Through July, 10,666 Volts have been sold, which more than triple the 2,870 Volts sold last year. However, the 10,666 Volts is a far cry from CEO Dan Akerson's 45,000 goal for this year.

Also, GM dealers are currently sitting on 6,500 units or an 84 day supply.

Source: Motor Trend, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

An 84 day supply of Volts is unacceptable. They should not even consider making more until that inventory clears. As for the 2014 Impala, a lot of people (me sort of included) cannot wait, especially given the lack of truly large cars out there these days (XTS, Charger/300, Taurus aside).

One they need to drop the price ASAP even if it means taking a bigger loss to get more of these cars out there. Prius currently has a large lead on the volt and if they plan to get more market share, they need to do the same at toyota and jump in with lower prices to move inventory and take market share.

Two, they need to roll out this technology to more models sooner rather than later. If they had a volt drive train on a minivan that could handle 5 or 7 passengers they would truly sell more. A 4 person auto is very limiting.

Three, they need to pump up marketing of the volt and made in the USA to get this selling more.

I hope they adjust the Cadillac goals to realistic levels. I hope the Cadillac can add performance not available on the Volt at a higher price point.

This is a car they need to sell but they are not going to be able to force it on anyone. Also I hope they can get some advancements on the batter sooner than later. With the increased spending everyone is doing there will be a break in the technology but the question is how soon. This is a car that only a longer life cheaper battery is holding back.

That is not to say that even at the price it is at that 2500 in sales is a bad thing for August. This car is just one of those deals where it will take time for general public acceptance and cheaper prices.

Edited by hyperv6

They are great cars but at 40K,they would have to 'give' free gasoline with it. Extend the battery range and make the darn thing bigger inside. GM has a great car but as usual they are to greedy on price. I have test drove 3 and and cant see getting a car smaller than my wifes AVEO inside. The $7500 tax rebate really is not enough. I would buy one priced at mid to low 20's. It has to compete with the exsisting competition. The CRUZE ECO is a much better deal, [i have heard many dealership salesman say it is a CRUZE magnet]. The fit and finish and performance are awsome but over 20-25K wont cut it!

The Volt is a no-brainer for most consumers; it's let down by the lack of marketing.

76% residual on a 2-year/20K mile lease, 1% interest rate, and cap cost reduction from Ally means dealers here are offering them for $240/mo with $1,500 drive-off.

My folks considered leasing one, because they currently spend $240/mo on gas alone, but ultimately they couldn't get used to the poor rearward visibility.

• Disagree 1