Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Sales: August 2012 - General Motors

GM U.S. Sales Increase 10 percent

Chevrolet passenger car sales up 25 percent

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today reported August sales of 240,520 vehicles in the United States, up 10 percent compared with a year ago. GM increased its sales to retail customers by 11 percent, making August its best retail month of the year. Sales to fleet customers were up 6 percent compared with a year ago. All four GM brands posted higher total and retail sales.

Thanks in part to extensive national advertising during the Olympic Games, Chevrolet passenger car sales were up 25 percent, with the Spark, Sonic, Cruze and Volt all posting their best-ever monthly sales. In addition, the Chevrolet Equinox set an August record behind its 22 percent year-over-year sales increase.

“The single message Chevrolet communicated this summer was ‘confidence’ and it rang true with customers when they saw how our product lineup is being transformed,” said Kurt McNeil, vice president of U.S. sales operations. “All four of our brands are building momentum behind new products so we’re very well positioned as the economy continues to slowly improve.”

Other sales highlights for August include an 11 percent year over year increase in Cadillac sales driven by strong demand for the SRX crossover, the Escalade and the new XTS large sedan. Buick sales increased 12 percent on the strength of the Verano, which has seen nine back-to-back monthly sales increases. Buick recorded its best retail sales since September 2007. GMC sales were up 4 percent, following a 35 percent reduction in fleet sales. GMC Acadia sales rose 26 percent in August and GMC Terrain sales were up 16 percent.

GM is in the midst of an aggressive rollout of new products in the United States. Some 70 percent of GM nameplates will be redesigned or all new over the course of 2012 and 2013, with the four-cylinder 2013 Chevrolet Malibu and the 2013 Cadillac ATS reaching the market now.

The redesigned Malibu arriving in dealerships will replace depleted stocks of 2012 models. The compact Cadillac ATS sport sedan is the brand’s second all-new sedan this year and it will compete in the highest volume luxury segment in the United States.

View full article

People really like the Verano, with its affordable price, manageable size, luxurious interior, and simple, effective 2.4L/6 speed automatic powertrain. The Turbo should bring in some conquests, imo.

The Sonic seems to be the best selling car in its class, and is doing pretty well. The little Spark has ignited something, it did pretty well right out of the gate, imo.

The Malibu will recover, now that it has an honest powertrain. The reviews are in and it is unanimous... the 2.5 is the only Malibu worth buying (at least until the turbo arrives, then there'll be 2).

Edited by ocnblu

This is such good news, love to hear positive news in regards to GM and their sales.

Wait til the Impaler hits. Chevy's car lineup will be pretty solid, top to bottom. You could argue that Chevy could have a few more car models to fill some tiny niches. But overally they will be in a great place.

Cadillac is getting there also. By the time the new CTS hits, Cadillac will have a pretty good lineup too.

Buick IMO needs to evolve into some unique spots. The Encore is not bad...however much GM didn't want to do it, I think an Equinox/Terrain companion is just as justifiable as Enclave is to it's mates (likewise why no Chevy Trax?). If Buick had the Adam or Corsa here and simply just imported the other Astra versions of the Verano, I think they would rock out Buick. No reason why we can't have the 3 door, 5 door, and even the wagon Astra. I used to think the Regal should get the wagon but I don't feel that anymore. I think GM is done with wagons mostly. Regal hatch may be unique and to be honest i would enjoy that but the sedan is fine to me. I think the Regal should think about adding one AWD version. It may not be worth doing a lot with Regal until the next gen where hopefully they can shed the weight.

GM maybe should still consider a cruze coupe. I wish the Cruze hatch was less lumpy but I am overall 50/50 on a cruze hatch here if we got the Astra buick hatch instead. Cruze wagon is useful but with it's nerdy look I don't see it surviving in a sea of Equinoxes and regular Cruze's.

I like the new Malibu but it seems like GM should plan for an all new one in 4 years, with a new lighter platform. Make that the start of the next global platform.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By regfootball
      DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6 (MSRP around 40k)
      HIGHS:
      -Blazer name is back!
      -Unique, sporty CUV style, drawing inspiration from the Camaro.  Be seen.  Looks good in person, even in a bad color.
      -Nice new interior design, including ball blower vents down low.  That will be a godsend in summer.  I liked the gauges, displays, controls, and touchscreen.
      -Cargo area seemed more useful in size than I imagined.  If I recall, the rear seats can slide forward and back to help out with that.
      -If you are averse to 4 cylinder engines, Chevy has you covered here.  Most of the Blazers will be had with 3.6 v6.  And with enough throttle foot, and after you let it wind up, and if the tranny actually kicks down, it scoots pretty well.
      -Fans of CUV's that are heavy and sit high will be like pigs in slop in the Blazer.
      LOWS:
      -There are probably a lot of people that won't be into the styling.
      -Drivetrain doesn't seem refined.  Sorry, another one of these GM drivetrains with the common 3.6 that underwhelms.  Slow transmission kickdown.  Feels like driveline has a lot of slop.  Lack of useful torque.  Grainy sounding, revs slow, throttle response is a dud.  
      -Interior space is not exactly a middle spot between the Equinox and Traverse.  To some it will feel not much larger than an Equinox inside, which is either a compliment for the Equinox (wasn't intended to be) or a rip on the Blazer (maybe that's where I was going).   Perhaps how high you sit on the queen perch exacerbates the truckiness of this thing, but it feels narrow in relation to it's size, and it's easier to knock elbows with your neighbor than it should be in this thing.
      -There is nothing about the ride and handling that stuck in my mind as impressive.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  Now, maybe the RS is better, I don't know.
      -Irregardless of whether a vehicle being heavy is a good or bad thing, it's that the Blazer actually feels porky or even porkier than it is / isn't.
      -The elephant in the room on this thing is price.  This lightly equipped LT was near 40 grand.  In the same showroom is an almost equally equipped Traverse for an almost equal price.  The versions that are in the high 40's and 50's, it's a real SMH to me.
      -An all around feel about the vehicle that it was just a cobbled together parts bin ride (which historically has been GM's PENCHANT).  The Blazer is a vehicle that feels old by several years on the market, right when it's introduced.
      SUMMARY
      No compelling reason to pick this vehicle on the market other than if you are a GM fanboi/girl or you've gone sick on the styling of it.  If it's the former, its another case of GM missing an opportunity to provide class competitive or better vehicle refinement and dynamics and missing the mark.  If it's the latter, then the styling ends up being the sole purpose for the vehicle to exist in the market.  If it doesn't have more than that, than it's hopes for being a long term success are pretty thin.  I don't need to dive much more into this one.  Reviving the Blazer name and throwing it on something that evokes the Camaro in styling is about all there is behind this effort.  Nissan came out with the Murano in 2003? 2004? And Chevrolet finally has something to compete with it in 2019.  The list of vehicles that are better options to this for your money, whether 2 or 3 row, are in the dozens.  As far as Chevy, if you really want size, immediately bypass the Blazer and just go straight for the Traverse.  For performance and refinement, it's entirely possibly that a well loaded Equinox with the 2.0 engine is a much more enjoyable vehicle for a majority of people.  And don't forget the GMC options too.  Other makes and models, Santa Fe, Atlas, Edge, Passport, all better.  I might be here all day if I list all the better options.
      It doesn't make it bad to like the Blazer and I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying one.  I just think GM mailed it in here, which they seem to be doing with increasing frequency here.  All you get here is a name and some style.  Bless ya if that's what you want.  I may try the 2.5 FWD for contrast, but i think I can 99% safely say one of these will never be in my driveway.  Continuing to lose more and more faith in GM and Chevy all the time.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Buick's compact convertible, the Buick Cascada, won't be returning for 2020.  Buick has informed dealers that final orders for the car need to be in by the end of the month as production of the car is scheduled to end in the summer. The Cascada is produced by GM's former Opel division, now owned by PSA, in Poland.
      The Cascada was Buick's first convertible since the the Buick Reatta.  Approximately 17,000 have been sold since the car went on sale in 2016.
      The discontinuation of the Cascada, along with the pending departure of the LaCrosse, mark Buick's slow creep towards being an all-crossover brand.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick's compact convertible, the Buick Cascada, won't be returning for 2020.  Buick has informed dealers that final orders for the car need to be in by the end of the month as production of the car is scheduled to end in the summer. The Cascada is produced by GM's former Opel division, now owned by PSA, in Poland.
      The Cascada was Buick's first convertible since the the Buick Reatta.  Approximately 17,000 have been sold since the car went on sale in 2016.
      The discontinuation of the Cascada, along with the pending departure of the LaCrosse, mark Buick's slow creep towards being an all-crossover brand.
    • By William Maley
      It hasn't been an easy go for Holden for almost the last decade. Sales have been declining for the past eight years and buyers haven't been wowed by either the new Commodore or their growing lineup of crossovers. This has reportedly brought the vultures out.
      The Australian Financial Review reported yesterday that Inchcape, one of the largest independent vehicle importers has started discussions with General Motors about possibly taking over the importation of Holden vehicles. According to sources, the talks are going very slowly and there are "extreme sensitivities on both sides of the negotiating table." The talks will not include the transfer of Holden's engineering and design offices, along with the Lang Lang Proving Grounds. Inchcape has also hired one of the largest accounting firms to perform due diligence and looking into various scenarios. 
      The likely reason Inchcape is looking into this possibility is due to GM's restructuring plans. Already, the company has pulled out certain markets and is planning to possibly shut down various plants in the U.S.
      Inchcape handles the import and retail duties for a number of automakers such as Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, and more in 32 countries. In Australia, Inchcape handles Citroen, Peugeot, and Subaru.
      "Under the leadership of [GM Holden CEO] Dave Buttner, who was appointed in August last year, we are turning around the Holden business, growing sales, re-engaging and re-energizing our distribution network and launching exciting vehicles like the all-new Acadia. We are fully focused on supporting Dave in building a strong Holden for the future, as it remains an important part of GM's business," a spokesman for GM told the outlet.
      When reached by CarsGuide for a comment, a spokesperson for Inchcape said, "We are always assessing a range of opportunities and initiatives in support of our Ignite strategy and we do not comment on speculation."
      Source: Australian Financial Review (Subscription Required), CarAdvice, CarsGuide

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It hasn't been an easy go for Holden for almost the last decade. Sales have been declining for the past eight years and buyers haven't been wowed by either the new Commodore or their growing lineup of crossovers. This has reportedly brought the vultures out.
      The Australian Financial Review reported yesterday that Inchcape, one of the largest independent vehicle importers has started discussions with General Motors about possibly taking over the importation of Holden vehicles. According to sources, the talks are going very slowly and there are "extreme sensitivities on both sides of the negotiating table." The talks will not include the transfer of Holden's engineering and design offices, along with the Lang Lang Proving Grounds. Inchcape has also hired one of the largest accounting firms to perform due diligence and looking into various scenarios. 
      The likely reason Inchcape is looking into this possibility is due to GM's restructuring plans. Already, the company has pulled out certain markets and is planning to possibly shut down various plants in the U.S.
      Inchcape handles the import and retail duties for a number of automakers such as Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, and more in 32 countries. In Australia, Inchcape handles Citroen, Peugeot, and Subaru.
      "Under the leadership of [GM Holden CEO] Dave Buttner, who was appointed in August last year, we are turning around the Holden business, growing sales, re-engaging and re-energizing our distribution network and launching exciting vehicles like the all-new Acadia. We are fully focused on supporting Dave in building a strong Holden for the future, as it remains an important part of GM's business," a spokesman for GM told the outlet.
      When reached by CarsGuide for a comment, a spokesperson for Inchcape said, "We are always assessing a range of opportunities and initiatives in support of our Ignite strategy and we do not comment on speculation."
      Source: Australian Financial Review (Subscription Required), CarAdvice, CarsGuide
  • My Clubs