Car Shopping

Went out car shopping today as well. Took a look at this Grand Prix GTP coupe

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...ng=en&cardist=9

This car is loaded except, power passenger's seat and sunroof/moon roof.

Took it out for a test drive... even before starting the car the a/c / heating controls knobs looked out of place as if the were from another car.

The driver's side window was sluggish going up/down. Passenger's side wouldn't even go down. The leather didn't seem ripped or torn. there was a little wear on the passenger seat near the door but that's about all I noticed.

The passenger's side mirror was a bit sluggish.

The heating works.. but couldn't get the a/c working due to that screwed up knob.

Radio works, but the volume will not go down. I had it so loud I had to turn it off.

When i finally drove it, the suspension was tight as a nail. The exhaust was throaty that I loved for it being stock (for now, if I choose to buy the car). The guy had mentioned about some brake noise before I went but didn't noticed it until the way back and it was a pretty loud squeal.

I turned on a pretty wide open road and decided to gun it.. I nearly shat myself for the power 8)

After I turned around to head back, I noticed that it had a HUD.. that was a pretty sweet feature. I came back and mentioned to the guy all the things I noticed wrong with it. Told him if he fixes them and taking into effect the age and mileage of the vehicle I'm willing to pay $4000 cash. He said he's gonna have to clear it with the owner and give him a call back Monday. I had also told him I'd like a mechanic to look at it and he said that's no problem, just schedule it ahead of time. So now, I'm going to look into some other options but this first one I'm really liking if those issues can be taken care of.

I have to mention that a lot of my friends have been suggesting a civc or something that I have no interest in. I'd looking for a FWD V6 GM 2 door coupe or a RWD/FWD V8 sedan/coupe. But when some of my friends are import lovers, that really helps when they're trying to give advice.

I'll post more as I look at other vehicles.

if those problems cant get fixed on the GTP the Monte s/c SS has the same motor so itll have the same power...

it is pretty impressive right? i remember when my dad test drove my car... he turned onto this one road and said "lets see what kind of pickup this has" he then floored it and proceeded to say "whoa... its got great pickup" from that moment on he has refered to my car as "the rocketship"

Have you considered buying a car of teh same type as yours that got hit, and swapping the parts? Just a thought. Otherwise, If you are looking for a good used car...what about an Intrepid? Those look nice inside and out, plus if you are into modding I've seen some really tasteful things done to them. A 250 hp V6 isn't bad either...

Posted Image

if those problems cant get fixed on the GTP the Monte s/c SS has the same motor so itll have the same power...

To my knowledge, the Monte SS Didn't get the Supercharged 3800 until 04 I think.. I saw an 01 SS that only had the regular 3800 in it. And they wanted $11,000 for it.

Have you considered buying a car of teh same type as yours that got hit, and swapping the parts?

Decka, I saw your exact car today(pre-mod and crash), even the color. If you could find another one transferring all your "goodies" to it just might be the way to go. You did a nice job making that car more appealing.

Yeah, I've thought about that... The only achievas I saw that were locally sold were sedans and pre 94 models. I did find a 97 Grand Am GT coupe that had simular options to my car (black exterior).

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...01&aff=national

Just a thought. Otherwise, If you are looking for a good used car...what about an Intrepid? Those look nice inside and out, plus if you are into modding I've seen some really tasteful things done to them. A 250 hp V6 isn't bad either...

I'm open to options... But I would perfer a GM 2 door with a V6. (Monte Carlo, Alero, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass Supreme, etc.)

To my knowledge, the Monte SS Didn't get the Supercharged 3800 until 04 I think.. I saw an 01 SS that only had the regular 3800 in it. And they wanted $11,000 for it.

well even the regular 3800 will give you some nice power.. but 11 grand for an 01... thats ridiculous unless it was mint condition and had less than 500 miles on it...

as far as the supercharged...i think it may have gotten it in 03... not sure ill hafta check...

oh man why didnt i think of that... i was actually considering an El Dorado while looking at cars... an ETC has a 300hp northstar... i once saw a 2000 ETC on ebay for like 2 grand in perfect condition

Eldorado

Riviera

Aurora

I like the Cutlass Supreme also.. but you get caught in a Catch-22 with that one. The 3.1 is a bit of a boat anchor in that car, the 3.4 DOHC is great... but can be tough to work on... and there aren't many mods. I do recommend the 3.4 on performance alone though.

I'm getting around $4100 back from the insurance and I'd rather have it the easy way of just using that to pay for a car in full without having to deal with payments.

One of my buddies's dad has a 95 Buick Regal coupe (3800 Series I) and said he'll sell it but didn't give me a price. I priced it out at kelly blue book at around $3k but I think he probably wanted more out of it.

For V8s (FWD & RWD) I'd rather have something that wouldn't kill me in gas (while still have some power and a throaty idle, unlike 4cyls IMO) but I would love to own something with a V8 someday, just not sure if now is the right time (I was eyeing some 06 Mone SSs, too much for my blood as of now.

RWD cars, this vehicle will be my primary driver so thinking realisticly, f-bodies, 80s g-bodies probably aren't really pratical. B-bodies (impala ss with floor shifter preferably) or maybe a Catera I might be able to justify in the winter. I had brought up to a dealer about leasing a Cobalt coupe and paying $250/mo is out of the question.

A Shadow 2.2 Turbo...174 horsepower, 210 pound feet of torque That's a lotta power for a small car. You can get it as a coupe, with a 5-speed manual for no more than $1500, and have plenty of money leftoever to modit if you wish (performance exhasut, new wheels, etc.) :P

Edited by Dodgefan

Any opinions on that Grand Prix GTP coupe? Is $4k asking too low? Should I even bother with that many small things wrong with it? I don't think it would take that much to fix them, just not sure if the issues would come back in the future.

Well I went out again today. The cold rain certainly made it very pleasant compared to the warm sunny day yesterday was.

First I was looking for someone to go along with me just for a 2nd opinion that's seen the vehicle rather than have me explain it. A buddy had earlier said he'll go out looking for cars earlier this week, he had to do some things and I couldn't find anyone else that wanted to go, not even my dad. I was forced to go buy myself, o well.. I know what I want so I guess that works sometimes. I'm browsing a few dealerships looking for Mid to late 90s coupes and I'm only seeing 00+ models selling for $8 up. One dealership had a 97 Firebird formula for $6k, 80k miles, auto, cloth seats, t-tops. They were firm on that $6k price and wouldn't take it out for a test drive so I said screw that. Then I check out a few Grand Ams at a few dealerships they were 00-03 models and were selling from $8k to $13k.

I go a F--- dealership, While browsing, a salesman comes out and asks if I need any help.. I tell him what I'm looking for (2 door, mid sized coupe, V6). The guy said he wasn't sure if they had anything but we went inside to check the inventory. He said he got a new arrival of a 99 Grand Am GT that could fit my price range. Got to the car, started it up, found out that it's an 03 selling for $13k. Went back inside, said that the Sales manager's sister was selling her car for that price, 2000 Dodge Intrepid. I went out to take a look at it. 87k miles, basic features, some crappy aftermarket cd/cassette deck in there. We took it out for a test drive (I drove) for about a half hour. I'll admit it was certainly a nice ride, roomy, smooth, quiet, but the car was not at all calling out to me. The salesman, was very persistent in selling the car asking me what can he do to get me to buy it. I told him I'll take down the information and I'll keep searching for other models that fit my budget and I will let him know. My dad knows someone who's selling a 2000-01 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 for around that price so some time I'll be checking that out.

Well I went out again today. The cold rain certainly made it very pleasant compared to the warm sunny day yesterday was.

First I was looking for someone to go along with me just for a 2nd opinion that's seen the vehicle rather than have me explain it. A buddy had earlier said he'll go out looking for cars earlier this week, he had to do some things and I couldn't find anyone else that wanted to go, not even my dad. I was forced to go buy myself, o well.. I know what I want so I guess that works sometimes. I'm browsing a few dealerships looking for Mid to late 90s coupes and I'm only seeing 00+ models selling for $8 up. One dealership had a 97 Firebird formula for $6k, 80k miles, auto, cloth seats, t-tops. They were firm on that $6k price and wouldn't take it out for a test drive so I said screw that. Then I check out a few Grand Ams at a few dealerships they were 00-03 models and were selling from $8k to $13k.

I go a F--- dealership, While browsing, a salesman comes out and asks if I need any help.. I tell him what I'm looking for (2 door, mid sized coupe, V6). The guy said he wasn't sure if they had anything but we went inside to check the inventory. He said he got a new arrival of a 99 Grand Am GT that could fit my price range. Got to the car, started it up, found out that it's an 03 selling for $13k. Went back inside, said that the Sales manager's sister was selling her car for that price, 2000 Dodge Intrepid. I went out to take a look at it. 87k miles, basic features, some crappy aftermarket cd/cassette deck in there. We took it out for a test drive (I drove) for about a half hour. I'll admit it was certainly a nice ride, roomy, smooth, quiet, but the car was not at all calling out to me. The salesman, was very persistent in selling the car asking me what can he do to get me to buy it. I told him I'll take down the information and I'll keep searching for other models that fit my budget and I will let him know. My dad knows someone who's selling a 2000-01 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 for around that price so some time I'll be checking that out.

200 Intrepid for around 4k? I wouldn't mind having that ^_^ The Eclipse sounds good too. A lot of people complained about the looks of that generation, but I always liked it both insde and out. I didn't know you could get them for as low as 4k.

I'm still looking.. I haven't seen a stratus/sebring coupe yet within my price range. I think that may have been a bad thing taking that Grand Prix out for a test drive.. I think I may have fell in love with it, despite all the small quirks that are wrong.

The thing that really bugs me is I don't want to get pressured into buying a car that I don't want. I can see myself buying a car from being pressued because it's a "no problem vehicle." Then, I can see myself regeting the purchase and then selling it and getting something different soon after.

I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind. If the weather wasn't so $h!ty I would have gone to a few more dealerships but it's supposed to be like this through tuesday.