Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz: 11 New Models, 19 Redesigned Models By 2020

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 30, 2012

Mercedes-Benz is about to embark on a huge product offensive to bring in customers into their showrooms. Their key target: Gen Y.

"We're a brand we think can absolutely connect with them. Gen Y is just coming of age. We get on their radar screen in a big way," said Steve Cannon, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA to USA Today.

Mercedes' plan is to introduce 19 redesigned models and 11 new models by 2020. Some of those new models include,

• CLA-Class (Baby CLS; based on the new A-Class)
  • C-Class convertible
  • GLA-Class Crossover
  • Many variations of the next S-Class
  • Redesigned E-Class

Source: USA Today

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Not sure about the CLA, slumming into FWD I am not a fan of, although, Audi, Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura all do it, Mercedes should be better than that. However the A-class and CLA might bring in younger buyers that would otherwise go elsewhere, and if gives Mercedes cash cow cars a feeder system of customers.

If the S-class gets a convertible, as is rumored, they will have 6 convertibles. Cadillac doesn't have any, time to get to work.

• Agree 1

Not sure about the CLA, slumming into FWD I am not a fan of, although, Audi, Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura all do it, Mercedes should be better than that. However the A-class and CLA might bring in younger buyers that would otherwise go elsewhere, and if gives Mercedes cash cow cars a feeder system of customers.

If the S-class gets a convertible, as is rumored, they will have 6 convertibles. Cadillac doesn't have any, time to get to work.

Selling a sedan (body style that sells well in the US and Asia) is the clever way to get added scale economies on the A- and B-class platform, IMHO.

The "Many variations of the next S-Class" item caught my attention too... Wonder if it's about a convertible only or variants that will take it to the stratosphere pricing-wise (as Maybach's dead and never built an image for itself that spiced up S-Class can't match).

Edited by ZL-1

In Europe there is a short wheel base S-class that is 200 inches long; we only have the long wheelbase version here. But there is going to be an even longer version offered as well to replace Maybach. The S-class coupe replaces the CL, and the convertible idea comes from the Ocean Drive concept, which was a 4-door convertible. Should they pull off a 4-door super convertible, it could take them well over the $200,000 price point.

Have to say that while I know they need to sell an A and B class cars to get buyers in to step up hopefully, I just do not see Luxury being FWD.

Call me a snob, but Luxury cars should be at the ATS/BMW 3 series and above. Focus and stay there, do not try to be all things to everyone.

Mercedes should use their Smart line to have the subcompact to small entry size cars and let Mercedes be the medium and higher level.

Same with BMW, let Mini be the subcompact up to Small and let BMW be the 3 series and above. Their 1 series should be in the Mini house not BMW house.

• Agree 1