Faith healers watch son die...

Russel and Brandi Bellew were sentenced to five years of probation on Tuesday after they pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of Brandi's biological son, Austin Sprout, 16. An autopsy found Austin died of an infection caused by a burst appendix.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oregon-faith-healer-parents-probation-sons-death/story?id=17273845#.UJfnjmcyrlY

The bad thing about this is that had this happened in Ohio, the parents might not even ahve been charged, as Ohio has an exemption from health care for religious reasons...

The bad thing about this is that had this happened in Ohio, the parents might not even ahve been charged, as Ohio has an exemption from health care for religious reasons...

Very strange...

Everyone has different beliefs. But when it gets to this level, you can only hope someone or something can intervene. If you have diabetes (I do, I know, and I have parents who on the reverse noticed signs and got me to the hospital immediately), a burst appendix, or are barely alive...it is for a reason, and doing nothing but praying will not fix it.

Almost to an old age where medicine barely existed...but even then, hopefully someone would acknowledge you were sick, even if they physically didn't have tools to help.

There is no fix for crazy, sadly. When you are, you are and it's scary.

Edited by caddycruiser

Even though Christianity teaches that God is a healer, it is also true that God sends people to be physicians for a reason. Even Jesus said that "it is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick." Think about it... if while making a bigger point Jesus acknowledged the necessity of the work of doctors, why don't these people? And Luke, who wrote two books of the NT, was a physician by trade. But he was never told to leave his practice because faith would render his work unnecessary.

People who suspend common sense while waiting for a miracle ALWAYS do more harm than good. And in the case of these people, their churches are more cultlike than denominational.

• Agree 4

Even though Christianity teaches that God is a healer, it is also true that God sends people to be physicians for a reason. Even Jesus said that "it is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick." Think about it... if while making a bigger point Jesus acknowledged the necessity of the work of doctors, why don't these people? And Luke, who wrote two books of the NT, was a physician by trade. But he was never told to leave his practice because faith would render his work unnecessary.

People who suspend common sense while waiting for a miracle ALWAYS do more harm than good. And in the case of these people, their churches are more cultlike than denominational.

Totally agree, this is more cult than religion and with no common sense, I think their other kids are in danger. I do not agree with this probation. These people killed their son.

And I have zero problems with Christianity done well....I go to church every week in fact...it's the nuts that scare me....

And I have zero problems with Christianity done well....I go to church every week in fact...it's the nuts that scare me....

You and me both. And every pastor I've sat under has warned against spiritual nuttiness.

Like anything, Extremes go too far and need to be pulled in. Balance is what it is all about.

• Agree 1

You and me both. And every pastor I've sat under has warned against spiritual nuttiness.

Sounds like you've sat under some good Pastors....

Sounds like you've sat under some good Pastors....

Oh, I have. And they would all say "if your child is sick, take them to the doctor! And pray all the way there." -_-

Edited by Lamar

Asked of Capt. Sullenberger if he at any point prayed, he told Couric, “I would imagine somebody in back was taking care of that for me while I was flying the airplane.”

We pay people to be doctors for a reason.... just like we pay people to be well trained airline pilots.

• Agree 1