William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

December 17, 2012

While GM showed off the new full-size trucks this past week, they are still busy working on the new full-size SUVs.

GM North American President Mark Reuss told the Detroit Free Press that redesigned versions of the automaker's full-size SUVs - Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL will be arriving in 2014. Reuss didn't give an explanation as to why there is a delay to the full-size SUVs.

While the popularity of SUVs have falter somewhat, they still represent a important part of GM's lineup. Reuss said that GM owns a 70% share of the SUV market.

Source: Detroit Free Press

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

1988 - GMT-400 pickups released <-- released in mid-1987

1992 - GMT-400 SUVs released

1999 - GMT-800 pickups released <-- GMT-400's offered as "Classic" (mid-year carryover)

2000 - GMT-800 SUVs released

2006 - GMT-900 SUVs released

2007 - GMT-900 pickups released <-- GMT-800's offered as "Classic" (mid-year carryover)

1999 - GMT-800 pickups released <-- GMT-400's offered as "Classic" (mid-year carryover)

2007 - GMT-900 pickups released <-- GMT-800's offered as "Classic" (mid-year carryover)

Interesting that the 800 and 900's series reversed the release of the SUV's and trucks.

Interesting that the 800 and 900's series reversed the release of the SUV's and trucks.

The mid-oughts were the height of the SUV boom, so it makes sense they would have prioritized the SUV release then...

There were still GMT400 pickups in the 2000 model year.

2500 and up only, I think.

A low-mile clean one was the holy grail I was searching for until I settled for the Tahoe.

Yup, 2000 was the last year a GMT-400 2500 and 3500 pickup was available; the heavy duty GMT-800 2500 & 3500's weren't ready until 2000 along with the SUVs.

When I sold B-P-G in '99-'00, we had a GMT-400 2000 GMC Sierra 3500 regular cab long bed 4WD last until the end of the year. The guy who bought it owned a pizza shop and traded it in a year later for the newer version. It was a tough sell new and if I recall correctly (when I was buying my '01 Sonoma), it was a tough sell used too.

I am very excited about this. I really hope they do an Evolutionary on the Chevy & Cadillac as they are beautiful design already and then Dump and do a revolutionary look for the GMC Yukon line. Get ride of the feminine BS design and give us the Professional Grade Manly look like the Terrain on these bad boy Full Size SUV's.

I think a Full Size Terrain in your face SUV would go over very well just like the Terrain has been. The current design language of the Yukon line sucks and while selling could do much better.

So Escalade will be a 2014 also, right? I admit it's the GM full-size SUV I'm most curious about, as I think GM has to further and further differentiate it from the rest of its full-size platform mates.

Originally, the new Escalade was to debit in January of 2014; the other SUVs (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukons) were to debut in the fall of 2013. I would say that the Escalade will either be a mid-2104 model or a very early 2015 model.

I have to agree, the Yukons look terrible.

I would not say terrible, but soft. The Tahoe/Suburban won out in the GMT-900 phase for sure. The SLE Yukon looks the worst, with the smaller wheels and rims; the SLT looks better with the larger rims/tires and added chrome; the Denali is a handsome vehicle but the softness of the frontend is still it's downfall:

2013-GMC-Yukon-Denali-Hybrid-Front-Right.jpg

With the current Yukons, it's the vertical lighting and rounded grille I just don't like..if the front end was more like the original Arcadia, I'd like it (I don't like the blocky new Arcadia nose w/ oversized grille). I find the current Tahoe/Suburban front end w/ horizontal round lights much nicer than the Yukon front end.