Who has driven a Wrangler lately?

I haven't driven one since before I bought my Patriot in 2011. It was a base model soft top. I was surprised at how civilised it was on the highway, even with the soft top, I was able to BS with the sales kid in a normal tone. And the new engine has copious amounts of grunt.

Sounds like a Rubicon at that price, or at least a Sahara. The base model (I'd have to have the hardtop with easily removable sections over the front seats) can be had for about $25-$26k I think.

Ah, I haven't done an inventory search for Wranglers lately online.

I have a cousin who has new car-itis like I do, only she buys a new Wrangler every 12-18 munts. She currently has an orange 4-door. She loves 'em.

I totally despise the 4-door - it just looks so... wrong.

I'm clutching at straws a bit here, just trying to find something new that I can even be marginally interested in.

Interestingly, same dealer also had a Ram 1500 shortbed 4x4 and a Challenger R/T also in the low-mid 30s.

I wanted a Wrangler when I was in my teens, I especially liked the late 90's models when they went back to round headlights. I'm a fan of the Wrangler still but to me the 4 door model is just wrong, the Liberty and Grand Cherokee fill that niche. The Wrangler should have remained a 2 door. I remember sitting in a dark green Wrangler in '97 or '98 at the NYAS, dark green, with tan interior and tan soft top, I practically begged my father to buy me a Wrangler after that. Aside from the Wrangler I always liked the XJ Cherokee's, my father had a Laredo and my cousin a Sport. The 5.9 Grand Cherokee's looked great too.

I remember people telling me horror stories of how easily a Wrangler could flip over, trying to convince me to stop wanting one. It didn't, but once I got my Ninety Eight in senior year my mindset changed, and I was dead set on restoring it and the Wrangler kind of fell by the wayside in my mind. I've never driven a Wrangler now that I think about it, I know the older models weren't known for their ride and handling.

In 2000, I drove a 1998 model (4-cylinder, auto) that the dealership I worked at took in on trade. I felt cramped in the driver seat, since the door panel left little "elbow" room, and the 4-cylinder at the time was peppy but left me wanting the 6-cylinder. Other than the buck board ride, I enjoyed taking it on dealership errands. It was a fun little runabout and left me wanting one even more (I had already wanted one before this experience). The only other ones I've been in the past 2-3 years were in the auto show Jeep Camp test drives, mainly as a passenger, so I can't really say much.

I will agree with you that these are just about the last two-door off-road SUVs (Land Rover Evoque comes in a 3-door model). I still want one, the only non-GM vehicle I desire and would seriously consider for a purchase. I don't share your disdain for the 4-door Wrangler Limited, as I find it a very good looking SUV too (I'd still want the 2-door though). I could probably lease a basic family hauler cheap and purchase a Wrangler for my 3rd "fun" vehicle, but the desire I have for a new 2014 Sierra outweighs the admiration I have for a new Wrangler. I just hope the current Chrylser leadership don't mess with the Wrangler redesign (2015?) as they have with the upcoming Cherokee :o

Oh, I almost forgot back in the mid-'90s I worked a part-time job and two co-workers, both females in their early 20s, had Jeep Wranglers as their daily drivers. Both absolutely loved them, and for opposite reasons. One was a Jersey Shore girl (Mara) and loved the open top beach cruising when she was home for summer (college). The other was a down and dirty Bucks County girl that went off-roading/trail riding with her boyfriend and his Jeep. Before I left the company in '97 Mara traded in her early '90s Wrangler for a new-for-'97 model that she loved even more. It was a sharp looking Jeep for sure.

Dammit Bob- now you got me looking (online) at Wranglers!!

I really love these new-for-'13 aluminum rims on the Wranglers:

76030922.jpg

2013-jeep-wrangler-moab_100402560_l.jpg

And I'm really digging the Sahara model too:

74091688.jpg

I like how that gray one gives me an old '60s Ford Bronco vibe too.

I'm sure sometime today I'll be finding my way to the Jeep website ;)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Oh, I almost forgot back in the mid-'90s I worked a part-time job and two co-workers, both females in their early 20s, had Jeep Wranglers as their daily drivers. Both absolutely loved them, and for opposite reasons. One was a Jersey Shore girl (Mara) and loved the open top beach cruising when she was home for summer (college). The other was a down and dirty Bucks County girl that went off-roading/trail riding with her boyfriend and his Jeep. Before I left the company in '97 Mara traded in her early '90s Wrangler for a new-for-'97 model that she loved even more. It was a sharp looking Jeep for sure.

In the early to mid '00s a friend of mine had a first-gen Grand Cherokee and an '00 Mustang GT convertible, and his girlfriend had an early '00s Jeep Wrangler for a daily driver...the 3 of us used to go off roading quite a bit in the mountains in Colorado. Alas, they got married, had kids, and the fun vehicles went, replaced by family-type vehicles--a Prius and a Sienna.

This is a pretty close match to the one I sat in at the autoshow that really made me want a Wrangler, same exact trim and color combo minus the chrome grille. In retrospect I would opt for the hard top though.

b713_4.JPG

I'd take the top off in the summer (normal place)/ winter (AZ)....the open air experience is a key part of what a Wrangler is all about...otherwise, it's just another SUV.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd take the top off in the summer (normal place)/ winter (AZ)....the open air experience is a key part of what a Wrangler is all about...otherwise, it's just another SUV.

I know, but it isn't my thing. If I wanted that, I'd buy a convertible performance car.

And I hate riding in a soft top Jeep with the top on.

I have a cousin who has new car-itis like I do, only she buys a new Wrangler every 12-18 munts. She currently has an orange 4-door. She loves 'em.

....gee...she buys a new car every 12-18 munts and you buy one every 12-18 minutes....what a coincidence....just kidding, pal...

Lets just say that their street manners left something to be desired.

Big time...

Built a couple more on their website. If I did this, I'd probably opt for the "S".

That would mean no body color top or new fancy wheels.

Pretty basic, priced out below 28k.

It would make an infinite amount of sense for you...although I thought you were out of the car loan thingie forever...

I test drove a soft-top Wrangler back in '00 when I bought my GC...it was ok, but too noisy and stripped down inside for highway use, IMO. I wouldn't mind one for an off-road rock crawler/mud plugger weekend toy, though.

....gee...she buys a new car every 12-18 munts and you buy one every 12-18 minutes....what a coincidence....just kidding, pal...

That's funny....I'm in my 12th year now since buying a new car... the Jeep just keeps going and going...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Big time...

>Built a couple more on their website. If I did this, I'd probably opt for the "S".

Pretty basic, priced out below 28k.

It would make an infinite amount of sense for you...although I thought you were out of the car loan thingie forever...

I don't know about infinite, but it might make some sense. And, yeah, no loan. That's why I'm checking them out now, so I can plan a cash purchase a couple of years down the road.

Big time...

>Built a couple more on their website. If I did this, I'd probably opt for the "S".

Pretty basic, priced out belo

w 28k.

I don't know about infinite, but it might make some sense. And, yeah, no loan. That's why I'm checking them out now, so I can plan a cash purchase a couple of years down the road.

I do the same thing....

I would think the 4dr would probably drive better on-road than the 2dr due to the longer wheelbase. I'd probably go for the 4dr also, been there done that w/ 2dr SUVs w/ my old Bronco II back in the day...4drs are just more useful.

I hate 4-doors generally, and the Wrangler especially, but it does look a bit better with a body-color hardtop. Looks like ass with the soft top though.

That's all academic anyway, since I wouldn't buy any 4-door short of a real wagon or a Suburban.

Don't need the extra doors, and hate the look.