Vehicle: Volkswagen Beetle TDi (2013)

Two words: intercooler icing. A known problem with these cars. And, according to the article at the link, it can cause engine failure. VW is aware but has not responded with a permanent fix for the problem. There is a "cold weather intercooler kit" issued by Volkswagen, but apparently, it does not work for some customers, and the waiting list is months long to get it. I have an appointment this Friday at the dealer... but after reading this, I am probably going to get a song and dance routine, since VW Engineering has not responded in a satisfactory manner with an effective repair. Car did the same thing this morning it did in my garage on Sunday. Apparently, liquid water from condensation accumulating in the intercooler is getting into the cylinders... which can explode an engine. Seems I've been too close for comfort with these episodes.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5574701-TDI-Intercooler-Issue-Design-Flaw

Edited by ocnblu

I printed off the 11 page, latest version of the Technical Service Bulletin from Volkswagen. And I have confirmed that my selling dealer has some sort of "revised" cold weather kit in stock to install on the engine. It involves taking off the front bumper, etc., to get into the affected area, take stuff apart, and install the kit. I am not certain if this "revised" kit actually fixes the issue for future cold weather... but I am left wondering if damage hasn't already been done to my engine because Volkswagen wanted to cheap out and save a few pennies... and the bulletin states VW has NO PLANS to start installing this kit at the time of manufacture! It has been a known problem since 2011!

So, in a nutshell, I am left with greatly diminished trust in the lifespan of my engine. There have been 4 episodes so far where the car has had this issue to varying degrees... the last two have involved loud knocking upon start-up, lasting 8-10 seconds... a near hydro-lock condition.

I was not ready to let go of this fun-to-drive, solidly built little car... but I will not drive a time-bomb. So far, from the research I've done, I have no assurances from Volkswagen that these episodes haven't already done mortal (or at least life-shortening) damage.

WOW, sorry to hear that Ocnblu. Your issue has made me interested in seeing what else was out there and I am shocked, this water issue is not only to the bug, but also the Jetta and the Touereg diesels.

Electrical issues on those two auto's is the biggest issue but the engine with the water problem is the second biggest and like you many have posted that what they thought would be a fun to drive long life diesel auto became much shorter and in one persons listing the engine died before the warranty was up, replaced by VW and just shy of 15K miles out of warranty the engine died again.

I thought VW was getting better at building auto's than this but it would seem they are pulling an 80's style of build it, sell it and avoid fixing and making the product better as long as they get your money.

Sad as I always liked VW's SUV's but now would stay away from them due to what I am reading.

The kit is installed, and the car is running like a raped ape. Just in time for two days of warm weather, but the temps are due to drop back, especially in the overnights, through the week. We'll see how it goes.

After speaking with a handsome ginger VW service advisor at another dealership, I got the gist of what was done. A moisture sensor is installed in the intake system duct work. If water is detected on start-up, the intercooler is bypassed to prevent it from being sucked into the air intake, and extra plumbing is put in for that purpose. As far as where the water goes, I am not sure of that. Perhaps it evaporates eventually, or is dumped.

6:15 tonight, started the car to leave work. "Low coolant" light immediately came on. Haven't seen anything on my garage floor. Checked overflow tank... empty. I could not get back into work, everything was locked up, so I drove to the VW dealer. Of course, the only department open was sales. So I insisted that someone get me some coolant. The sales manager went back into the service dep't and got me an unopened jug of coolant and I filled the overflow tank. Kept the DIC on coolant temp readout on the way home, it didn't go over 194 degrees, which is normal. Not sure if it wasn't properly filled, if there is a leak I've been unable to see, or if there was a bubble in the system that eventually burped. But, I will be on the phone in the morning.

It has become apparent that it was a bubble in the cooling system when it was refilled. I see nothing leaking, but I am still carrying that jug of coolant in the car. And some a-hole opened their car door onto my right front fender and put a ding in it and chipped the clearcoat. It will be a year old on March 7th.

I had my '10 Colorado for a little over a year, traded on the '11 Fiesta in March, 2011. Totaled the car in an accident in August, 2011. Bought a 2012 Cruze LT to replace it. Decided that, while it was a nice car, it didn't fit me, so I traded it in November, 2011 for a 2012 Jeep Patriot. Bodyshop I worked at closed its doors in May, 2012, and my new job requires a commute of nearly 50 miles a day, round trip, and the Patriot was giving me 21 MPG with a 13 gallon tank, so I started looking and took a poll here at C&G, and someone mentioned "VW TDi"... a lightbulb went on in my head... dealer in the town I work in had this base model Beetle TDi, and I really liked it on the test drive, so I took the plunge yet again.

The Beetle is my 5th brand new vehicle since 2010. Colorado, Fiesta, Cruze, Patriot, Beetle. Crazy, eh?

• 1 month later...

Well, I am at the one year mark of ownership with my 2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDi. At 17.3k miles, it remains fun to drive, with sweet diesel torque and excellent fuel mileage. First really nice day of the season yesterday, so I cleaned it up to look it over. Front end is, sadly, chipped up pretty good from my highway commute, I need to touch up some things. And I found two door dings, resulting in dents and chips in the right front and rear fenders (steel this time around, older Beetles used plastic fenders). My intercooler icing issue has been 98% fixed, but that will be a thing to forget about with Spring approaching (HOPEFULLY). Only other negative thing I can think of is a buzz in the dash under certain running conditions, seemingly related to an RPM range. My earlier VW's, all bought new ('92 Golf GL 2-door, two '98 Beetles and a '00 GTI 1.8t) had multiple issues requiring repeated visits to the dealer before this time and mileage. I can say, in my experience with this car, that Volkswagen has improved greatly over what they've been before.

I will. I'm dying for some new information to be released on GM's mid-size pickups. I'm thinking something new may come out for the NYIAS next month (hoping, that is). It would be awesome to see a ZR2 off-road version for Chevy and a Denali version for GMC. I posted in your other thread that I'm curious about a 2009 Hummer H3T Alpha, but while washing both the G6 and Envoy this afternoon I think I'm going to wait for the Canyon to come out. While the H3T is awesome, to me nothing beats a brand new vehicle :smilewide:

• 4 weeks later...

The new Canyon / Colorado crew cab with a H3 off road 4x4 kit and Diesel I would say would nicely replace that Bug Ocn.

Agreed! Although I am thinking of a TDI for myself, though!

Yes Ford has this issue with their Ecoboost also collecting water in the intercooler plus deposit build up on the intake valves.

Good to know, was also thinking a fieta st might make a nice little car!

I was thinking you'd go with something that had a crank start so it wouldn't have a deadly fire battery under the hood.... and because you're a bit of a crank.

He would need longer arms to start it. But a crank car would suit him to a T!

This thing is so nice.

Hate to say it as the guy on the board who loves Japanese cars...but euro cars have so much more soul than Asian cars, mostly.

I personally would not only agree with you but have to throw the Euro and American cars into this bucket. There is very little that has passion built into the car DNA right now. Everyone seems to be going to Jelly bean designs.

While there are American distinct models that do have a flare, no one single brand really is cutting a passion DNA other than Cadillac with their car design.

Now trucks and SUV's is a different matter, I just hope that some way the industry can hold off the morons in DC that want to socialize everything and make it all bland equal for everyone. That does not work!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Filled it up yesterday. 581.8 miles, 13.769 gallons. $4.00.9/gal. 42.25 MPG this round.

Awesome as always but I see the Baby Duramax Colorado or Canyon in your future. :P

I am going to pine like crazy over these new trucks if I feel I cannot afford one.

I can understand...I think the real answer to your dillema is a used S10 and keep the beetle, but I know you don't want to do this.

Filled it up yesterday. 581.8 miles, 13.769 gallons. $4.00.9/gal. 42.25 MPG this round.

Nice! I haven't gotten that kind of mileage out of my Cruze yet but I think it is going on a trip to Virginia in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how it does. Just out of curiosity, what would you say the city/hwy split was on that tank?

Nice! I haven't gotten that kind of mileage out of my Cruze yet but I think it is going on a trip to Virginia in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how it does. Just out of curiosity, what would you say the city/hwy split was on that tank?

Cruze D should have ideally had a stick shift; diesel engine really benefits with that to hyper-mile the vehicle.

• Agree 2

2Quick, I'd say most of my tanks are 85% highway with my 50 mile commute 5 days a week. I agree with Z-06 that a manual trans would have been a great thing to have in a Cruze diesel, but yours should loosen up nicely as the miles pile on. Let us know how it does on that long trip.

I am going to pine like crazy over these new trucks if I feel I cannot afford one.

You can always wait a couple years and pick up a CPO one...

Since modern trucks hold their value so well, new almost makes sense to buy new.