Vehicle: Volkswagen Beetle TDi (2013)

Well, my work commute is mostly 4-lane highway, at 65-70 mph. 24 miles each way, with a few suburban traffic lights to contend with before hitting the highway.

Any uphill driving? Driving in flat terrain is, I'd say, a diesel's best friend: keeping the car at fairly low rpm (i.e. at the bottom of the quite fat torque plateau turbodiesels have nowadays) = fuel economy heaven...

Edited by ZL-1

I paid $3.259 for regular gas and noticed diesel was $3.499 here in southern NJ Monday morning. My neighbor gets a new car every 2 years (she drives pretty far for work) and replaced her 2011 VW CC with a 2013 VW Passat Diesel (her husband has a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Bluetec Diesel and they love the mileage from diesel). She's getting around 42-43 MPG running the NJ Turnpike to the PA Turnpike (King of Prussia).

Washington state currently with our one of the highest gas tax's in the nation is at a pathetic $3.78 per gallon for 87 octane gas as of this morning. Diesel is currently $4.07 per gallon. Natural gas CNG is currently $2.09 per gallon.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Found Gasbuddy.com to be a great place to find low priced fuel. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last tank: 43.8. Had my 10k service last week, free of charge from VW, it drove me nuts to wait that long for a first oil change. No issues to report, so far.

Edited by ocnblu

I was thinking you'd go with something that had a crank start so it wouldn't have a deadly fire battery under the hood.... and because you're a bit of a crank.

Here's a crank for ya. And a crank start still has to have electricity from somewhere, even if it were only a magneto.

Z-06 "Jetta Hybrid", you are slaying me tonight :lol:

My Regal GS only has 59xx miles on it, wanna switch cars for a while? I could leave the Beetle parked most of the week, and take it for a Sunday spin. Give it some spirited use...it likes to launch hard...and keep my tires from flat spotting, please :thumbsup:

The Beetle sounds cool. 10k...that is weird to go that long. BMW, VW and others who do "included maintenance" have programmed the cars to stretch every last bit out of an interval. Then again, my GS was at 5000 miles and the oil life after a year said 73%, so...not much different.

Any issues with the car, noises or anything?

Still feels very solid, which it should at only 10k miles. Since the recent weather cool-off though, I have noticed a periodic buzz from the gauge pod that sits on top of the dash, with oil temperature, boost, and stopwatch. I've been trying to press on it from different angles to make it stop. Mostly, I've been successful. That's my only complaint so far.

It sat out in the cool weather all day and didn't make a peep coming home. I'm still good.

That's cause the loose parts tightened up due to the cold. After all everything shrinks and tightens when it is cold out. ;) LOL

First tank: 43.8, which included a 220 mile highway road trip.

Second tank: 43.3, strictly a work commuter tank with errands on weekends.

Paid $3.84/gallon for diesel today.

I'm starting to think this is not a fluke. This car makes me feel I am driving something of value and substance. It feels like a little tank. It is mechanical, which I love, but also quiet and refined. It makes me want to see how far I can go on a tank. Not out of necessity, but out of pure curiosity and wonderment. Very pleased so far.

I will be interested to see how this plays out....thinking of the TDI thing myself.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have another complaint. The backup lights on my car are worthless. I was at my bro's last night for a B-day dinner for my dad, and I couldn't see CRAP backing out. I almost went into the bushes! It took me three tries to get out of the freakin' driveway! :lol:

OK I have another complaint. The backup lights on my car are worthless. I was at my bro's last night for a B-day dinner for my dad, and I couldn't see CRAP backing out. I almost went into the bushes! It took me three tries to get out of the freakin' driveway! :lol:

I agree with you Ocnblu, it seems todays auto's have pathetic backup lights. I have added rear flood lights to every auto I own now so that when you go into reverse you get a nice bright flood of light to see where you are going.

Watch it with those wimpy backup lights as I have seen more than one person get rear ended.

• 1 month later...

Twice now, since the weather has dipped into the 20's, my car has shown that it still can have old-school diesel tendencies. It does NOT like to start in cold weather. First time I thought it might be a fluke related to being low on fuel, but the same thing happened evening before last, after sitting outside all day @ work with 3/4 of a tank. It takes me like a dozen tries to keep it running. I push the clutch in, hold down the starter button, and when the glowplug light goes out, it tries to start, but shuts off immediately. It is my opinion that this should not happen in a modern, computer controlled diesel car with properly functioning glowplugs. 25 degrees out, both times. I wonder if there is a fuel conditioner I can put in the tank that VW recommends to remedy this, or if there is something going on somewhere else.

We used to plug in my uncle's Ford F-250 diesels, and our John Deeres when it got really cold. Not sure if this car has a block heater, to be honest. But I have no place to plug it in @ work anyway. Wouldn't it be ironic if I find I should be electrifying my diesel VW?

Yea not sure why but car diesels seem to have problems firing up in really cold weather compared to truck diesels. Weird, let us know if you figure out what was causing it. I would think it would be covered under warranty. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't go anywhere yesterday, car was in garage of course. Started it early this afternoon to go get groceries and it started, but it shook like an em effer, with a death clang that lasted for about 8 seconds before settling down and running smooth. First time it's done that. No warning lights.

2014 Signal to Trade it in on the new 2015 Canyon! :P

FYI, filled up my Bi-Fuel Suburban over the weekend. 44 gallon Gas tank of Premium cost $178.20 to fill. Then time filled the CNG tank, which is 42 gallons cost me $35.70. So will be interesting to see how it goes with CNG. Will not be missing the gas bill at all, but nice to have it as an alternative fuel to fall back on. :o

Didn't go anywhere yesterday, car was in garage of course. Started it early this afternoon to go get groceries and it started, but it shook like an em effer, with a death clang that lasted for about 8 seconds before settling down and running smooth. First time it's done that. No warning lights.

You ever plug it in?

There is no provision for a block heater on the 2.0TDi, from the research I've done so far. It sat outside at work all day with dropping temps, 29 degrees on the dash this evening when it started right up and ran perfectly as I went to leave.