Vehicle: Volkswagen Beetle TDi (2013)

I am going to pine like crazy over these new trucks if I feel I cannot afford one.

You can always wait a couple years and pick up a CPO one...

Since modern trucks hold their value so well, new almost makes sense to buy new.

QFT.... I regularly see Avalanches, 2010 and older, with 60k+ miles that are still commanding $35k

The latest thing I've seen is the Jeep Grand Cherokees. A 2013 with 45k miles (how does someone even do that?!?) for basically the same price as a new one.... what's the point?

Even our Encore is holding its value very nicely... we'll probably end up buying it out at the end of the lease because it will be worth more than we owe on it.

The latest thing I've seen is the Jeep Grand Cherokees. A 2013 with 45k miles (how does someone even do that?!?) for basically the same price as a new one.... what's the point?

Well, if they got it in the fall of '12, maybe they've had a long commute for close to 2 years...I used to work w/ a guy in Colorado that put 75k on cars in two years with a 90 miles each way commute.

I am going to pine like crazy over these new trucks if I feel I cannot afford one.

Since modern trucks hold their value so well, new almost makes sense to buy new.

QFT.... I regularly see Avalanches, 2010 and older, with 60k+ miles that are still commanding $35k

Even our Encore is holding its value very nicely... we'll probably end up buying it out at the end of the lease because it will be worth more than we owe on it.

I saw an Encore on the road the other day. I am not a crossover/fourdoor kind of a guy, but that thing tempted me. VERY nice vehicle.

Same with the Grand Cherokee you are talking about. I cannot think of ANY european or asian SUV at ANY price that I would rather have.

American car makers are really, really bringing their A game and it shows.

Well, if they got it in the fall of '12, maybe they've had a long commute for close to 2 years...I used to work w/ a guy in Colorado that put 75k on cars in two years with a 90 miles each way commute.

Over on the TDI club forums, some guy with like an 11 TDI Jetta Wagoin had 400k PLUS ON IT ALREADY. His job was following semi trucks with oversized loads with an oversized load placcard attached to the Jetta.

Over on the TDI club forums, some guy with like an 11 TDI Jetta Wagoin had 400k PLUS ON IT ALREADY. His job was following semi trucks with oversized loads with an oversized load placcard attached to the Jetta.

That's a LOT of driving...my 14 yr old Jeep w/ 152k doesn't seem so bad...

I really like your Jeep. I really hate to get rid of a vehicle before it has 200K on it.

It's still going.. needs for the next few months are tires, shocks, brakes.

Thats still a healthy two grand done right, maybe three.

I really like your Jeep. I really hate to get rid of a vehicle before it has 200K on it.

Yeah, the way I look at it, it's still cheaper than $500 a month in payments on a new car. Only had $250 in maintenance so far this year (oil & filter change, electrical repairs to driver's door).

Not sure where you shop, but Tires, shocks and brakes you should be able to get quality tire and parts installed for about 1500-2000. 4 Wheel Parts is great pricing for quality parts installed.

Not sure where you shop, but Tires, shocks and brakes you should be able to get quality tire and parts installed for about 1500-2000. 4 Wheel Parts is great pricing for quality parts installed.

Last set of tires was around $750 4 years ago (Discount Tire, BFG Long Trails)...I'll have to check my past receipts for brakes and shocks, but I figure I should be able to get it all done at my local independent repair shop that I've gone to since '08 for under $2k.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wow....puting Michelins on the MINI was almost 800 at discount tire, no idea you could put tires on your beast so cheaply.

Tire prices seem to ahve gone up a good bit since 2008 though.

Wow....puting Michelins on the MINI was almost 800 at discount tire, no idea you could put tires on your beast so cheaply.

Well, it does have tiny 16 inch wheels, compared to 20 or more of '14 era SUVs. Michelins on the DTS were around $800 last year IIRC.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I saw an Encore on the road the other day. I am not a crossover/fourdoor kind of a guy, but that thing tempted me. VERY nice vehicle.

Same with the Grand Cherokee you are talking about. I cannot think of ANY european or asian SUV at ANY price that I would rather have.

American car makers are really, really bringing their A game and it shows.

It was out of place in our driveway over the weekend while I was working on the other car.... I was admiring it from another perspective as I was sitting on the ground. It really is a perky, spunky little bulldog of a car, yet with luxury appointments. I'm very happy with it.

At the end of June we'll have had it 10 months... it has 8000 miles on it now... probably won't see 8500 before July 1 (at which point we go away for a few weeks).

The buyout on the lease in 14 months is $21.8k and KBB values it at $29k now on a vehicle we leased for $32.5k.

I think I won this bet.

Well, it does have tiny 16 inch wheels, compared to 20 or more of '14 era SUVs. Michelins on the DTS were around $800 last year IIRC.

15s on the CR-V would have been $560 out the door I think for Michelins had I not had a good treadwear warranty.

15s on the CR-V would have been $560 out the door I think for Michelins had I not had a good treadwear warranty.

My 99 Dodge Durango I put on BFG All Terrain Tires 31 x 10.5 x r15 and Discount Tires had me out the door for just under $800. Not bad for such a superior tire. Last set on the Durango went 110,000 miles. I figure this will be the last set on it as the daughter drives it and I already told her she could use it as a trade in when she gets a new SUV. She really likes the Jeep Cherokee Trail-hawk edition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This tank included a (mostly) highway trip to Assateague National Seashore in Maryland, about 300 miles round trip, although I was stuck in a traffic jam, mostly full stop for about an hour trying to get there.  My work commute is 24 miles each way, mostly involving highway speeds of about 75 mph going in, 65 coming home, I might stop at the gym some weeknights, involving a longer drive on the highway, then urban and suburban coming home from there.  On the weekends, I might go to the gym or drive around urban and suburban retail areas, or to a hiking spot.

oh look a bird

probably in search of some bug like a beetle....

This tank included a (mostly) highway trip to Assateague National Seashore in Maryland, about 300 miles round trip, although I was stuck in a traffic jam, mostly full stop for about an hour trying to get there.  My work commute is 24 miles each way, mostly involving highway speeds of about 75 mph going in, 65 coming home, I might stop at the gym some weeknights, involving a longer drive on the highway, then urban and suburban coming home from there.  On the weekends, I might go to the gym or drive around urban and suburban retail areas, or to a hiking spot.

Your results are pretty much making me think strongly about a TDI Jetta Wagon....

Saw a newly sold TDI Jetta Wagon that was spouting smoke from the tailpipe. Made me think the rings were bad on the engine. Sad to see a new car already smoking.

Saw a newly sold TDI Jetta Wagon that was spouting smoke from the tailpipe. Made me think the rings were bad on the engine. Sad to see a new car already smoking.

This would be highly unusual for them....although at times owners will add a tune that will cause them to smoke.  But at a recent TDI gathering, we had several white cars, several of which had gone for weeks without being washed, still clean on the rear bumper.  The DPF catches almost everything out of the tailpipe.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

If it is not a blue smoke, I won't be too worried. There are times in a diesel engine that valves seating is needed at the normal operations load, and smoke is possibly due to it.

Good to know, it was kinda white and just a puff of smoke but I just was not expecting to see it as I never saw it on other diesels.

If it is not a blue smoke, I won't be too worried. There are times in a diesel engine that valves seating is needed at the normal operations load, and smoke is possibly due to it.

This is good to know.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Oh, fantastic.  I was driving on a back street in Millersville, PA, when I passed an old dude mowing his lawn.  The mower threw a rock, shattering my passenger door glass.  The fallout put cuts in the door exterior paint, and cut up the interior door trim and the passenger seat track trim.  Called "my" VW dealer.  $700+ for a door interior trim panel.  $150 for a door glass.  Did not ask about the seat side trim.  Plus paintwork... so I called a claim in to my insurance.  Damn my luck.

I thought it was ISIS moving in on me for a minute, it was a loud-ass bang.

Insurance rocks,.  usually your rates do not go up for "an act of God"....although in the old testament I do not think VW beetles were what was getting stoned.

Sorry to see you experience this incident.  At least you walked away without injury, which is the most important part.

Now that the Beetle needs body work, and given your past trends when you've had accidents, the new Colorado can't get to the dealer fast enough ;)  Of course the Crew Cab models will be landing first, as Extended Cabs are coming online for ordering this week.

• Agree 1

If I could afford two, I'd have a work vehicle and a weekend vehicle.  Not sure if a beater car with good fuel economy for work, and a new Colorado or Canyon for weekends and inclement weather, or keep the Beetle and buy a beater S-10 or Sonoma 4WD for weekends.

• 2 months later...

Well, I had my third (and last) free 10k mile service performed on Saturday.  Everything's still good with the car.  It does have stone chips from my highway commute, but otherwise still looks good.  30k miles in 18 months.  I asked the service dude about the next scheduled maintenance... it's a big one at 40k miles.  $340 (makes me want to get rid of it before I have to spend that kind of money... a GM vehicle usually goes to 100k miles before the first "big one", I think).  I filled up the tank also on Saturday.  $3.50/gallon.  41.69 MPG, "winter blend" must be in the tanks now.

I still want to look into replacing it with a new Colorado.  MSRP for the new ones is high though.  I swore I'd be getting a Z71 extended cab 4X4, but I choke on the price, so my plan now is a WT model... a base truck!  Still $31.5k for what I'd want.  Crazy how vehicle prices are these days.

Fill pee tank (mine is pre-pee)

Oil change

Multi-point inspection

Battery check

Coolant level check

Lubricate hinges and latches

Check CV boots

Check for oil leaks

Reset maintenance display

Check lights

Check wipers

Check exhaust for damage or leaks

Rotate tires

Replace air filter

Replace cabin filter

Check and top off fluids (except 4motion components and transmission)

Road test

Check brake pad thickness

Clean sunroof drains (I ain't got one)

Replace spark plugs (I ain't got none)

Check spare tire

DSG trans service (nope)

In other words, a whole lot of little stuff for a whole bunch of money.  IMO.

I've been thinking of trading my Charger RT on a Passat tdi, as my daily commute is about to change from 8 miles round trip to 120 miles round trip. If you were to do it all over again, would you buy the tdi? Are you happy with it? What advice would you have, if any, about buying a VW tdi?

• Agree 1

Yes, I would buy one again.  The engine is a gem, IMO.  I might go with a 3-door Golf TDi if I were to do it again, being a little bit more conservative in style, maybe with VW accessory wheels.  As a commuter car, the VW TDi is impossible to beat.  You might miss the Hemi for a while, but not too long, IMO, because the TDi feels torque heavy.  Try one out on a test drive and see if you agree!  And good luck with the new commute.

• Agree 1

I've been thinking of trading my Charger RT on a Passat tdi, as my daily commute is about to change from 8 miles round trip to 120 miles round trip. If you were to do it all over again, would you buy the tdi? Are you happy with it? What advice would you have, if any, about buying a VW tdi?

You may want to test drive a Cruze diesel as well.  It is always good to have options and the Cruze is easily forgotten since GM does nothing to advertise it.

• Agree 1

You may want to test drive a Cruze diesel as well.  It is always good to have options and the Cruze is easily forgotten since GM does nothing to advertise it.

Agree, after testing a Cruze Diesel and the VW TDI, I would take the cruze over the TDI. Awesome car.