Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Vehicle: Volkswagen Beetle TDi (2013)

It's a basic TDi model. Only options are the TDi Monster Mat set... and a first aid kit (?) I guess they think I'm going to hurt myself. :)

The TDi is nicely equipped even in basic form. Don't need anything more, in fact, it's got more stuff on it than I'll use, probably.

I am loving the baby Peterbilt music at idle, but I can only hear it from the outside. Inside, it's quiet.

On Facebook?

Yessir, the DIC was recording numbers that high on a 4+ hour, mostly 4-lane highway road trip on Saturday. I filled the tank for the first time with 525.1 miles on the trip meter, did the math, and ended up with 43.8 MPG overall for the first tank of diesel.

I really am enjoying "throwin' coal".

Facebook, eh?

Mr. Dart, let's hug this out. :)

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

First tank: 43.8, which included a 220 mile highway road trip.

Second tank: 43.3, strictly a work commuter tank with errands on weekends.

Paid $3.84/gallon for diesel today.

I'm starting to think this is not a fluke. This car makes me feel I am driving something of value and substance. It feels like a little tank. It is mechanical, which I love, but also quiet and refined. It makes me want to see how far I can go on a tank. Not out of necessity, but out of pure curiosity and wonderment. Very pleased so far.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

First tank: 43.8, which included a 220 mile highway road trip.

Second tank: 43.3, strictly a work commuter tank with errands on weekends.

Paid $3.84/gallon for diesel today.

I'm starting to think this is not a fluke. This car makes me feel I am driving something of value and substance. It feels like a little tank. It is mechanical, which I love, but also quiet and refined. It makes me want to see how far I can go on a tank. Not out of necessity, but out of pure curiosity and wonderment. Very pleased so far.

"mechanical"?

think "anti-electric".

Well, what I mean by "mechanical" is, I love to stand outside the car and listen to the diesel clattering away. I love the 2-door body. I love the VW driving dynamics. I love shifting for myself. The fact that it's black, and black VW Type 1's (Beetles) have such an iconic coolness about them dating from way back (counter culture, 1950's).

It is no appliance

It is no toy

This new bodystyle just reminds me so much more of the original car, which is timeless in design, not "cute".

I can be going 60 mph in 6th gear, step down on it some without downshifting and be at 80 before I know it, and I don't even hear the engine rev, it remains quiet, using diesel torque to just pull. Autobahn bred, clearly.

Yes, of course I am still in honeymoon stage. And so far, my reverence grows each time I get in the car. It imparts a sense of value and permanence.

I give you all permission to use my words against me if things change, but right now I feel this vehicle is a perfect fit for me, and for many moons to come.

I will shut up now.

Edited by ocnblu

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what I mean by "mechanical" is, I love to stand outside the car and listen to the diesel clattering away. I love the 2-door body. I love the VW driving dynamics. I love shifting for myself. The fact that it's black, and black VW Type 1's (Beetles) have such an iconic coolness about them dating from way back (counter culture, 1950's).

It is no appliance

It is no toy

This new bodystyle just reminds me so much more of the original car, which is timeless in design, not "cute".

I can be going 60 mph in 6th gear, step down on it some without downshifting and be at 80 before I know it, and I don't even hear the engine rev, it remains quiet, using diesel torque to just pull. Autobahn bred, clearly.

Yes, of course I am still in honeymoon stage. And so far, my reverence grows each time I get in the car. It imparts a sense of value and permanence.

I give you all permission to use my words against me if things change, but right now I feel this vehicle is a perfect fit for me, and for many moons to come.

I will shut up now.

coolness.

Third tank today. 586.1 miles, 13 gallons. 45 MPG!

1700 miles on car already. Will be a munt old on April 7th.

:wub: my VeeDub!

Spring Love has bloomed! :P

• Agree 1

When I took delivery of my car on March 7th, my salesguy insisted that I make an appointment for my free 30-day checkup. We agreed on April 6th @ 9 a.m.

So I pulled in to the drive-in service area yesterday morning as scheduled. Only they did not know I was coming. And the girl who goes out to get the VIN and mileage off the car didn't know ANYTHING about how to operate the car. She tried to put the key in the ignition several times. She was confused because the ignition cylinder is blanked off. It has push button start. Then she started pushing buttons on the dash to try to bring up the mileage. And she reset my trip odometer to zero while she was fumbling around, so she blew my fuel mileage check for this tank.

The service advisor, a handsome ginger guy with a beard, heard me muttering to myself "DON'T TRY TO PUT THE KEY IN!" several times as I watched her through the picture window, so he rushed out. I went out too.

She was laughing about it. I was not amused in the least. "Ohhh... what did I do?" :lol: :angry:

But he remained professional, and they got me out in a timely manner. Not happy with salesguy for not following up with the appointment after pressing me to pick a date on the day of delivery.

And bitch will not be touching my car again.

On a lighter note, still loving this thing.

did you do your survey yet? that is when the customers get back at the salespeople.......

the salesperson has as part of the task list to set the first service appt, and sometimes there are quotas or bonuses the mfrs set for that first service return percentage.

Some sales dudes either then genuinely forget, or are too busy to follow up. If they sold the car on a busy day, they may have simply lost the info or did not turn it in.

Sometimes the sales guy turns over the info, and service chokes on it.

No excuses really, but the process sometimes is not terribly seamless. Sometimes it is so filled with garbage tasks that it takes away from your ability to service your sales also.

Edited by regfootball

I never filled out my sales survey from the dealership, because I felt that I could not give him all 10s that he pleaded for and I didn't feel like going there. To me, the salesman is a blip in a long-term relationship. It's the service department that has to be good, imo, and despite the rocky start with the missed appointment (not their fault, it was the salesman's, I have a hunch) and the clueless service helper girl, things might be OK there.

My salesman was there that day. He was working a couple in their 60s, so I only had a chance to say hello after the mini-debacle of the phantom appointment and the birdbrain service helper chick. Didn't want to get into any negativity right there in the showroom while he was busy. If he hadn't been busy, then I would have told him everything.

The only one I filled in was the VW vehicle quality survey from VWoA.

Surveys are a part of my business, as well. I love getting good ones, of course, from customers. I know that sometimes, despite our best efforts, we cannot make everyone happy though. It's this "both sides of the fence" thing that has me hesitant to rip them a new one.

So if the handsome Gingerbreard man was the one fumbling around in your car would he stll have been a bitch? ;)

I agree with you Ocnblu that people who go out to a customers auto to get info better damn well know the auto's and not just be a pretty face, etc. That is the one thing I love about my caddy dealership, the service rep is the only person who goes out to get info and they know the auto's inside and out. While the dealership needs a major remodel, I am very pleased with the service and people working there. Professional across the board.

Glad to hear your TDI is still pleasing you so well. Saw a bluish looking one this morning walking to work with new temp lic in the rear window. You can truly barely hear the diesel. Very quite engine and while the traditional knock is there, it is nothing like the cummins or powerstroke.

Wish we could get a audio of the Duramax 2.9L, I wonder if it is as quite as the V8 Duramax. That is one engine I just love.

Speaking of cluelessness at dealers, I'll never forget the time back around 1990 I took my Mustang GT into a Ford dealer for service, and the service tech sent a young guy to bring it from the lot into the garage and he couldn't drive a manual....slipping the clutch, stalling the car, grinding gears...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Speaking of cluelessness at dealers, I'll never forget the time back around 1990 I took my Mustang GT into a Ford dealer for service, and the service tech sent a young guy to bring it from the lot into the garage and he couldn't drive a manual....slipping the clutch, stalling the car, grinding gears...

That is when you ask for an extended warranty to make up for the loss of life on the tranny their moron lot boy just took from you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I couldn't post the last tank because the trip odometer got reset inadvertently, but I filled up yesterday once again. 570.0 miles, 13.2 gallons @ $3.68/ 43.1 MPG.

I was a bad boy this time around, had a few brief runs to 100 mph on the 4-lane. So easy to do. 2800 miles already.

With the Patriot I was getting a low fuel light at 250 miles. I was getting a fairly consistent 21.5 MPG... so this is solidly doubling the driving range and the MPG.

Edited by ocnblu

Well I couldn't post the last tank because the trip odometer got reset inadvertently, but I filled up yesterday once again. 570.0 miles, 13.2 gallons @ $3.68/ 43.1 MPG.

I was a bad boy this time around, had a few brief runs to 100 mph on the 4-lane. So easy to do. 2800 miles already.

With the Patriot I was getting a low fuel light at 250 miles. I was getting a fairly consistent 21.5 MPG... so this is solidly doubling the driving range and the MPG.

Do the savings in fuel costs add up to a net cost reduction in automotive expenses for you?

Well, my muntly payments are $26 lower for the VW. My insurance went up some though, not yet sure how much over the full 6 munt term.

I have not figured the exact amount of difference I am spending for diesel fuel v. gasoline, throwing in the fuel economy difference.

In other words, I have no idear where I'm really at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

46MPG (US) = 5.11L/100KM; nice! What kind of driving? I'm getting 5.5L/100KM (42.77MPG US) on my Renault Megane wagon, 50/50 between morning/afternoon traffic (not too dense aroud here) and highway driving with cruise control set at 80MPH to 90MPH...

Edited by ZL-1