Dilemma - wait or try now?

Here's my current dilemma... since we went "window shopping" at some new car lots last weekend, I've been thinking a lot about the 2013 Chevy Avalanche I saw. Now I'm not currently "in market" for a new vehicle, as I was waiting until next spring to get a 2014 or order a 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup (which I'm in love with). But thinking about it the Avalanche offers me everything I'm looking for in a "crew cab" truck - LT-trimmed model gives me most of the features I was looking for on my next truck (rearview camera, heated leather seats, hard tonneau cover, power folding/heated/turn signal exterior mirrors), and the All-Star Edition gives me the upgraded 20" polished rims I love on these GMT-900 trucks, plus chrome grille insert, chrome mirror caps, and chrome door handles. A $46k truck that I can also likely get for a tick under $40k to boot. A new '14 or '15 Sierra, most likely a cloth trimmed model with slightly less features, will cost me in the low-to-mid $40s (and I'm sure discounts and deals won't be as plentiful). But don't get me wrong, I'd love for nothing more than to own the all-new GMC Sierra. The big downside for me is that it is a CHEVROLET branded truck, and I'd much prefer to own a GMC branded truck. However, I have always liked the styling of the Avalanche/Tahoe/Suburban from this generation and being a final year model of a unique niche, I could live with the gold bowtie.

Here's the Avalanche 1500 LT 4WD I am considering (Blue Topaz Metallic with Ebony Leather):

6298838381x640.jpg

Link to dealer's website: http://www.lucaschev.com/VehicleDetails/new-2013-Chevrolet-Avalanche-4WD_LT-Lumberton-NJ/1879448143

So either I can bite the bullet now (assuming financing, discounts, and trade-in values all work out in my favor!) and go for an Avalanche or wait another year for an all-new K2xxx Sierra.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Both seem like excellent trucks. How long do you plan to have whichever one you buy? If you get the Chevy, are you going to be longing for the GMC once it's out? I personally love the look of the Avalanche (and that blue is fantastic), and it seems like with the midgate down you would technically have more cargo space with it, but if you're just going to be looking at every next gen GMC that drives by wishing you had that instead, you might as well wait. But if you switch vehicles every 2-3 years anyway, it won't be that long of a wait until you can have the GMC if you are longing for it.

Three "cons" for the Avalanche that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. It's a Chevy (I am a huge GMC enthusiast, and while it may seem odd I would regret not owning a GMC-branded vehicle)

2. Too monochromatic... I like chrome bumpers (trucky) and some separation of color (one of the issues I have with my Envoy - it's too white!)

3. While being a crew cab, it is more SUV than Pickup (not sure this is a strong objection though)

The plan for next year is to order the exact Sierra I've always wanted and keep it for the long haul (right now I'm going on almost 38 months with the CPO'ed '06 Envoy, which outside of my wife's '08 G6 is the longest I've owned a vehicle since I started leasing in May of 1999). This means at least 8 years with my next purchase.

However, I was thinking yesterday that I would at least consider a lease on the Avalanche. This way if I truly pine for a GMC Sierra after they hit the roads in the next couple of months, I know that in 36/39 months I can then consider purchasing one then (2016/2017). Maybe by that time a MCE will be released or a new model. I'm still mulling this over right now.

Three "cons" for the Avalanche that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. It's a Chevy (I am a huge GMC enthusiast, and while it may seem odd I would regret not owning a GMC-branded vehicle)

2. Too monochromatic... I like chrome bumpers (trucky) and some separation of color (one of the issues I have with my Envoy - it's too white!)

3. While being a crew cab, it is more SUV than Pickup (not sure this is a strong objection though)

The plan for next year is to order the exact Sierra I've always wanted and keep it for the long haul (right now I'm going on almost 38 months with the CPO'ed '06 Envoy, which outside of my wife's '08 G6 is the longest I've owned a vehicle since I started leasing in May of 1999). This means at least 8 years with my next purchase.

However, I was thinking yesterday that I would at least consider a lease on the Avalanche. This way if I truly pine for a GMC Sierra after they hit the roads in the next couple of months, I know that in 36/39 months I can then consider purchasing one then (2016/2017). Maybe by that time a MCE will be released or a new model. I'm still mulling this over right now.

That was another thought I had - waiting for the 2nd model year. Not sure how much they're changing on the next Sierra, but if it's a lot, it may be good to wait for the 2nd model year if you plan to have it longer term.

well, A Chevy salesman from another truck forum told me that GM/Chevy is not incentivizing the leases of Avalanches because it's their last year being offered (he worked out a 39 month lease and a 60 month finance for a customer recently and the finance deal was cheaper than the lease). I was willing to consider a 36 or 39 month lease of an Avalanche because I know at some point I could then get my Sierra. But to be tied to the Avalanche for a long time (6-8 years), I'm not sure I'm ready for that committment (to a non-GMC truck). Silly, I know, but I think going with the finance of the Av would cause regret within a year for not waiting for the Sierra.

I went to the Chevy yesterday to check out the Blue Topaz Metallic LT Av. While it has many, if not more, of the features I'm looking for on my next truck purchase, ultimately I know I would be happy now but not likely this time next year. After looking at the Av I checked out the '13 Silverados and realize I do want a pickup and not a SUT. I will likely hold out on the Av (unless Memorial Day sales incentives make it a ridiculous-to-pass up deal! :lol: )

The Avalanche is a very different animal than your typical pickup, and I like everything about it for that reason. Sad to see them go away, after having 2 in the family.

The new pickups will offer a lot of nice new things, but not in a huge jump forward. Changed but not "wow new", in my opinion. I wish the Avalanche would get updated with them, but either way would recommend the current Av regardless.

All comes down to what you want and would like to do. If the Avalanche lease was attractive, that would be a great way. If not, probably better to wait until you actually experience and drive the new pickups as well, and see what you think back to back.

I agree with Caddycruiser on everything he has stated about the Avalanche. It is sad to see this go, they really should have updated and kept it going as it truly stood out from any other maker.

GMTruckGuy74 I suggest you stay with what you have till you can drive the new trucks and decide for yourself if it is truly what you want or not and then if it does not hit everything, go back and look for a well equipped Avalanche.

Every owner I have talked with loves their Avalanche even those that thought they might not long term ended up turning into lovers of the hybrid truck/SUV. It really does hit it right in my book for a solid balance between comfy SUV with the capability of a pickup truck.

Love the final year Avalanche!

There is a green one calling my name at the local Chevy store...

Fairway Green Metallic, a very nice color and one I would seriously consider if it were available in my area (the Chevy dealer I've visited has one, but it's CPO).

Only five (5) colors were used on the 2013 Avalanche - Black, Topaz Blue Metallic, White Diamond Tricoat, Silver Ice, and Fairway Green Metallic. It seems most Chevy dealers have stocked black, and while black looks great on any washed & waxed vehicle, it is not my preference (I've passed on several deals because black was the only color offered/available). White Diamond is nice, but having it on the G6 is enough for me (and that color is everywhere I look). Silver Ice is nice looking on the Av, but it is very blah like applicance white. I'm not a fan of the Blue Topaz Metallic on the current and upcoming Sierra/Silverado, but it looks okay on the Avalanche. A quick search of 4 Chevy dealers around me show a majority of '13 Avs in black and no one with Fairway Green (new). I'd be settling for the blue or silver if I went ahead with the Av deal, though I'd be more open to the green.

I am going to stick with the new '14 GMC Sierra. It's what I've always wanted and I know I won't be happy unless I end up with one in my driveway. In all honesty, I see many '07-'13 Avalanches on the road and while I do like them, I'm not upset that I'm not pursuing buying one. That says a lot. I know I'm making the right decision waiting for the GMC.

Now I just have to be patient and wait a little while longer :P