Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Volt Gets A Heap Of Incentives To Move Stock

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 11, 2013

At the moment, Chevrolet is currently sitting on a 140-day supply of Volts, more than double the amount supply analysts say is healthy. How is General Motors going to cut down the supply? By piling on incentives!

Chevrolet spokeswoman Michelle Malcho tells The Detroit News the company will be offering $4,000 off on 2013 Volts and $5,000 off on 2012 models. Alternatively, you can do a 36-month lease on a Volt for $269 with $2,399 down at signing or can be purchased with zero percent financing for 48 months and receive $3,000 off.

Total Volt sales for the year stand 7,157 units, an increase of 1.4 percent. However, the past three months have seen Volt sales drop when compared to the same time last year.

Source: The Detroit News

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

This would be a sweet ride for you Drew.

Interesting is I built both a 2013 and 2012 model on Chevy's web site and the 2012 came out $185 higher than the 2013 and this included their 4000 or 5000 discount. Then with the fed tax credit, you still end up at about 32,500 for a fully loaded VOLT.

Not bad, but still need to do more I think. Hopefully it will help move auto's.

I also see this as a good time to see how people will react to a lower priced Volt. It could show us what the lower price second gen could do.

Whole sales may be slower else where they have been strong here in Ohio. It is common now to see one nearly every time I go out and it is not the same one.

Consumers are used to seeing big discounts on American cars. Open a local newspaper, and you'll see ads screaming THOUSANDS OFF FOUR AT THIS PRICE BUY NOW. So I wonder whether this will have much effect on Volt sales, or whether Nissan's strategy to lower the MSRP makes more sense. IMO, a price drop leaves a more lasting impression on the consumer and speaks to the evolution and maturity of the technology.

If it were widely known that the net MSRP were $27,495, rather than $39,995 before tax credits, Volt would appear more accessible to more individuals.

Consumers are used to seeing big discounts on American cars. Open a local newspaper, and you'll see ads screaming THOUSANDS OFF FOUR AT THIS PRICE BUY NOW. So I wonder whether this will have much effect on Volt sales, or whether Nissan's strategy to lower the MSRP makes more sense. IMO, a price drop leaves a more lasting impression on the consumer and speaks to the evolution and maturity of the technology.

If it were widely known that the net MSRP were $27,495, rather than $39,995 before tax credits, Volt would appear more accessible to more individuals.

I agree, I think if GM was to move to a $29,995 MSRP for a base VOLT we would see far more VOLT's move out the door. $29,995 plus the gov $7500 gives one sweet ride for for $22,495. I could then see thousands of these move every month and this would drive the technology into other versions.

I still believe that GM is missing a HUGE opportunity to have a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade on this system.