Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: Mercedes-Benz Plans An AMG Sport Lineup

Audi has S and BMW has M Performance. According to Autocar, Mercedes-Benz is working on its own performance sub-brand. Named AMG Sport, this sub-brand will offer improved gas and diesel engines, suspensions, wider tracks, reprogrammed electronics, and more.

“We have identified growing demand for our more overtly sporting models, both in petrol and diesel guises. We intend to extend our range with a new line of models developed in partnership with AMG,” said a source.

The first model from this sub-brand is the C450 AMG Sport which takes the standard C400's turbocharged 3.0L V6 and increases power from 329 to 367 horsepower.

Other AMG Sport models from the A to the S-Class are being worked on.

Source: Autocar

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I dunno, everytime Cadillac does something it's always 'following Brand X'. The C&D article on the ATS was talking about it having a lower beltline/ larger quarter window 'taking a page from the BMW playbook' as if they originated it (this assumes its anything worth talking about in the first place) instead of BMW just continuing to build a frumpy 2-dr sedan with a blocky greenhouse for decades upon decades, well past it being fashionable to do so. But nope- 'Cadillac is following BMW'.

Wearying.  

-- -- --

What is audi's 'mid level' trim? I was only aware of -say- an A6 or and S6... (or do I have that wrong); has there been an 'S6Sport' ?

Edited by balthazar

Audi makes RS models, they don't seem to sell many of them here, but I know even 5 years ago the RS6 had like 580 hp and that was the M5 and E63 still had only 500.

Mercedes has had AMG trim packages for years, my car has AMG wheels, the sport body styling and the AMG engraved exhaust pipes, so that is nothing new.  I don't think they need to call anything AMG Sport, that sounds lame, just offer cars with the AMG styling package as they already are.  If they want to sell a C450 that is fine, but then why not just make all C400s have 367 hp, forget the lesser output engine so you don't have so many engine configurations.  What is odd though is Mercedes is dropping the E550 and GL450 in favor of twin turbo V6 models.  So on one hand they are dumping V8s (in the name of CAFE I'm sure) yet they want to do a sport line? 

I think just offer an AMG styling package option on all the models, because people might want a diesel E-class or the 2.0 turbo C-class with AMG wheels and the body kit.

Audi has S-line trim packages, which is like shadow black window trim and a wheel upgrade or something.  Sort of like the Lexus F-sport cars, it doesn't add any power, just trim and wheels.

Not sure of Audi's mid level trim line, but I agree that the anti Cadillac bias in the print media is tiresome.

I dunno, everytime Cadillac does something it's always 'following Brand X'. The C&D article on the ATS was talking about it having a lower beltline/ larger quarter window 'taking a page from the BMW playbook' as if they originated it (this assumes its anything worth talking about in the first place) instead of BMW just continuing to build a frumpy 2-dr sedan with a blocky greenhouse for decades upon decades, well past it being fashionable to do so. But nope- 'Cadillac is following BMW'.

Wearying.  

-- -- --

What is audi's 'mid level' trim? I was only aware of -say- an A6 or and S6... (or do I have that wrong); has there been an 'S6Sport' ?

It's more confusing than that.  There is A6, S6, RS6, and A6 S-Line.

A6 = CTS

S6 = CTS V-Sport

RS6 = CTS-V

A6 S-Line has no Cadillac equivalent.  It is an S6 appearance package with no change in the drivetrain over an A6.  It does have a BMW equivalent called M-Sport which is an M appearance package with no change in powertrain over a 535i.

What was all that gnashing of teeth over Cadillac watering down their V-series line by introducing V-Sport?  At least at Cadillac you still get substantial mechanical upgrades with the package instead of just:

Powerful air inlets give the flow-optimised front apron more presence. Side skirts with additional contour lines sharpen the vehicle profile; this is perfectly rounded off by the rear apron with exhaust pipe finishers in Dark Chrome and a striking diffusor in Dark Shadow metallic, M door sill finisher with chrome inserts and the M logo draws your gaze in to the interior of the M Sport package, where further exciting features await. The Sport seats are covered in an exclusive cloth/Alcantara combination Grey Shadow/Anthracite with the M look. In the cockpit, the M multifunction steering wheel fits perfectly in the hand and allows the driver complete control. The interior trim strip, e.g. in Aluminium Hexagon and the BMW Individual headliner Anthracite add an athletic note.

Alloy trim; Black cloth headliner; Synthetic suede upholstery; S line steering wheel badge; 3-spoke steering wheel; Transmission: automatic with manual mode and paddle shifters, Front and rear alloy wheels: 18" x 8.0"; Front and rear 245/40-18 and all-season tires; Headlights: Bi-Xenon; LED brake lights, day time running lights and rear lights; Headlight control; Chrome/bright trim around side windows; High pressure headlight cleaners; S line fender badges; S line bumpers; Aluminum door sills with S line badge; S line side sill blades

and kudos to MB for offering performance upgrades to the AMG-Sport package instead of it just being a bunch of badges and suede headliner.

The below quote is a perfect show no go example from BMW that America was accused of doing in the late 80's early 90's. Seems BMW has gone to rebadge everything with different looks but really no change driving dynamics. A poser car if ever there was one. A visual package will be a joke and be the downward fall of them.

Powerful air inlets give the flow-optimised front apron more presence. Side skirts with additional contour lines sharpen the vehicle profile; this is perfectly rounded off by the rear apron with exhaust pipe finishers in Dark Chrome and a striking diffusor in Dark Shadow metallic, M door sill finisher with chrome inserts and the M logo draws your gaze in to the interior of the M Sport package, where further exciting features await. The Sport seats are covered in an exclusive cloth/Alcantara combination Grey Shadow/Anthracite with the M look. In the cockpit, the M multifunction steering wheel fits perfectly in the hand and allows the driver complete control. The interior trim strip, e.g. in Aluminium Hexagon and the BMW Individual headliner Anthracite add an athletic note.

If the X6 and 5-series Gran Turismo couldn't bring BMW down, then I doubt M-sport packages will.  BMW drivers love getting a 328i that looks like an M3 because they want it to look fast and show off in it. 

I don't know that Mercedes really needs to call anything AMG-Sport, since they already offer "sport" styling on the C-class and E-class and you can get AMG wheels as an option on pretty much any car they make.  The trim packages are already there, plus Mercedes is a luxury car maker first.  The more exciting news is the C-class diesel and plug-in hybrid are going to be sold in the USA next summer, about time we get a diesel C-class here.

If the X6 and 5-series Gran Turismo couldn't bring BMW down, then I doubt M-sport packages will.  BMW drivers love getting a 328i that looks like an M3 because they want it to look fast and show off in it. 

I don't know that Mercedes really needs to call anything AMG-Sport, since they already offer "sport" styling on the C-class and E-class and you can get AMG wheels as an option on pretty much any car they make.  The trim packages are already there, plus Mercedes is a luxury car maker first.  The more exciting news is the C-class diesel and plug-in hybrid are going to be sold in the USA next summer, about time we get a diesel C-class here.

I have seen more Mercedes Benz owners put AMG badge on their vehicles than any other brand owners. I saw a C230 Kompressor with AMG badge on the left of the trunk.

• Agree 2

I have seen more Mercedes Benz owners put AMG badge on their vehicles than any other brand owners. I saw a C230 Kompressor with AMG badge on the left of the trunk.

If we are talking about people who gain prestiegevin their automotive community by slapping on badges, I would say the Honda boys just might have the Benz boys beat!

Besides, the woman (previous owner) who traded my MINI Cooper S traded it in on an S63 AMG Benz.  I think that AMG Benz has a bit more powah than a type R Integra.

Edited by A Horse With No Name