Buick's identity

wildcat

The website the truthaboutcars.com says that Buick has forgotten who they are and what they are about. Read their observations by clicking here. They make some good points, but how can Buick be much of anything with only three vehicles?

ut how can Buick be much of anything with only three vehicles?

I agree, at least one more car. A car that gets peoples attention. You make one flagship car, and I mean a real flagship car (like the REST of GM has) then people will notice Buick again so long as they don't mess it up and sit second to another GM car or any car for that matter.

Like Isuzu.

But Buick is part of the B,P, GMC marketing division. So by that measure Buick is simply the luxury car part while the division gets a full lineup. A midsize Buick sedan, a fullsize Buick sedan, a Buick softroad Crossover, 2 GMC BOF SUVs (midsize and fullsize) and 1 GMC Crossover, 2 Pickups from GMC (midsize and fullsize), a compact Pontiac coupe and sedan, a midsize Pontiac coupe and sedan, and a large/midsize Pontiac coupe and sedan. Seems pretty full to me.

Well... I think Buick also has forgotten who they are. They need to remember, and come out with some stunningly and uniquely "Buick" vehicles that grab your attention. Basically, the opposite of the Lucerne and the Lacrosse, two totally bland vehicles lacking any uniqueness. Those are supposed to be Buicks? :lol: I thought Buick used to have some of the most daring designs...

Buick needs more than two sedans and a crossover. Sorry. That's a very tepid lineup no matter how good they are. Where's the Riviera at the very least? A marque like Buick needs one.

Exactly, even if they're part of the BPG lineup they're not the exact same company. People see Pontiacs different than Buicks and Buick just needs an exciting car again. No matter which way you cut it FWD sedans can only be SO exciting. A FWD coupe or a RWD Sedan or (my hope) a RWD coupe (a luxury RWD coupe in the Buick pricerange is something GM is lacking anyway) this will get people seeing the Lucerne and LaCrosse in a different light.

I'd be happy with only three vehicles in the Buick lineup....

IF they consisted of the following:

1. Riviera

Make it a retro-boat tail or a retro '49 Roadmaster Riviera,

either way it MUST be a true pillarless hardtop.

2. Park Ave (or Invicta)

Mid size car, along the lines of the last gen. P.A. Long,

swoopy & elegant. Not like a Lucerne though, it seems like

it wants to be an old gen. Maxima real hard.

3. Roadmaster (or Electra)

RWD, V8 only powered & big. I mean like DTS big but for

a lot less than $50,000. Make it an upscale Zeta Impala but

wiht somewat more traditional styling.

Buick needs more than two sedans and a crossover. Sorry. That's a very tepid lineup no matter how good they are. Where's the Riviera at the very least? A marque like Buick needs one.

I agree. BPG my ass... Buick needs (and deserves) much better treatment. And not just because of Buick's excellent past; it has true potential for the future. The Enclave and Velite are great examples of that. It needs three sedans, IMO, and atleast the Enclave. I think that if the sedans were done correctly (relying heavily on Zeta), Buick would be a success, and would then be happy to also give Buick a small (NG Theta) crossover and a coupe.

I think "Less bling than Cadillac" is definetly what Buick should be going for, and I feel the Enclave accomplishes this pretty well.

I agree 100%. The Enclave oozes class; you want to look at it because it's subtle and sexy. The Escalade oozes class too, but screams look at me. There's certainly room for Buick to be a more professional (while not be any less luxurious) alternative to Caddy (or Lexus for that matter). As the article says, it's time for Buick to be the "doctor's car" again. A brand for the professional who has money but doesn't long to be admired sitting in alot of chrome.

Edited by titan

I think that defining Buick as 'less bling than a Cadillac' puts down the brand.

It should be defined in positive terms: 'elegant', 'smooth' 'luxurious'. Even 'conservative' would be better.

I think that defining Buick as 'less bling than a Cadillac' puts down the brand.

It should be defined in positive terms: 'elegant', 'smooth' 'luxurious'. Even 'conservative' would be better.

Agreed... if Buick and Cadillac made equal cars in terms of quality, performance, refinement, etc, I'd probably go for the more conservative Buick. But since that's not gonna happen, I'm hoping the next CTS isn't overly bling.

It's unfourtunate that after all these years, we continue to discuss (and to a degree, debate) Buick's brand identity. It's recent claim to aspire to be the "American Lexus" is an indication at how far it's fallen. Especially since, Lexus came in and has stood for what Buick defined for years; quality, class, quiet, aspirational, and a luxury value (Merceds for Lexus, Caddy for Buick). It's almost like Buick lost its way and Lexus swaggered on in. Glimpses of a great turnaround are seen in concepts like the Velite and Enclave. I just hope the Enclave is everything it should be and more. If so, you'll see me in one (Cocoa leather interior included).