Lincoln News: 2017 Lincoln Continental To Begin At $45,485

That is one piss poor sewing job. My grandma can do better. What lazy quality from the assembly line.

I am willing to bet that sewing job was not performed on an assembly line.

. And you think it makes it okay given that this was the car they chose to show the automotive world?

Pre-production cars are just that... pre-production.  There is a possibility of changes to the assembly process or the assembly process not even been fully developed yet.

ALL manufacturers have pre-production cars that they use to show the public and press.....and all of them have flaws in assembly.   I will never judge a car show debut car on assembly quality, ever.   

Sometimes the manufacturer let the Press drive these pre-production cars. Often times, they won't even have a VIN because they are due to be crushed after a certain time. The manufacturer will put a disclaimer sticker in the car somewhere indicating that it is pre-production... and yes.. there will be flaws.

Once the actual production Continentals start rolling out, then we can have a looksee to judge.

I understand that but I've seen a lot of preproduction cars and I think what makes this error obvious is the contrast from the stitching to the door panel color. Just looks way too obvious and it would bug me to no end. I would certainly hope this does not happen to a production model.

It doesn't even phase me because it was likely done by hand in a design studio on a tight schedule.  It really is a non-issue in a pre-production car.

If Lincoln didn't have a recent issue with quality shortcomings on their stuff then I'd agree with you. But the fact remains that the MXZ's launch was delayed by quality shortcomings. When your track record is poor, you need to try that much harder. And I don't see that here, at all.

That is one piss poor sewing job. My grandma can do better. What lazy quality from the assembly line.

I am willing to bet that sewing job was not performed on an assembly line.

. And you think it makes it okay given that this was the car they chose to show the automotive world?

Pre-production cars are just that... pre-production.  There is a possibility of changes to the assembly process or the assembly process not even been fully developed yet.

ALL manufacturers have pre-production cars that they use to show the public and press.....and all of them have flaws in assembly.   I will never judge a car show debut car on assembly quality, ever.   

Sometimes the manufacturer let the Press drive these pre-production cars. Often times, they won't even have a VIN because they are due to be crushed after a certain time. The manufacturer will put a disclaimer sticker in the car somewhere indicating that it is pre-production... and yes.. there will be flaws.

Once the actual production Continentals start rolling out, then we can have a looksee to judge.

I understand that but I've seen a lot of preproduction cars and I think what makes this error obvious is the contrast from the stitching to the door panel color. Just looks way too obvious and it would bug me to no end. I would certainly hope this does not happen to a production model.

It doesn't even phase me because it was likely done by hand in a design studio on a tight schedule.  It really is a non-issue in a pre-production car.

If Lincoln didn't have a recent issue with quality shortcomings on their stuff then I'd agree with you. But the fact remains that the MXZ's launch was delayed by quality shortcomings. When your track record is poor, you need to try that much harder. And I don't see that here, at all.

First of all, I don't know how you people mess up quoting somebody.

Second, you "don't see that here" because you wear the infamous General Motors blinders. 

102B5123-B870-4A45-9D89-6AA3072A3E97_zps

• Agree 1

What is the picture of as nothing is showing? ^^^^^^

We know the sewing is as Drew properly points out on a preproduction auto. So what is the zombie picture of and is it production or preproduction?                                                        

What is the picture of as nothing is showing? ^^^^^^

We know the sewing is as Drew properly points out on a preproduction auto. So what is the zombie picture of and is it production or preproduction?                                                        

Its an illustration of someone with blinders ( and a mouth gag ) on.

Edited by FordCosworth

It's the terrible auto-show lighting.

Here's a different one of the same interior basically.

CTN_1_GalleryinFLIP_10.jpg

The Lexus interior has no flaws when it comes to fitment I'll say that for sure. But some of the finishes, especially since the console isn't padded on the sides is questionable - when the Avalon has real stitching .

The Continental is doing what most American luxury cars are known for - lots of wood, lots of leather, and lots of metal accents. I'm waiting to see the Thoroughbred interior. That one will have saddle leather and really nice matte finish burl wood.

The ES is a giant disappointment once you drive it.  The ride is way way too firm for the class, it bangs over bumps which echo into the cabin..and it has lost its quietness that it has a reputation for. Friends of mind have one and let me use it when I'm in town.  It feels like a big Toyota with extra leather.

Won't the Continental feel like a big Fusion with extra leather?

No.. if the material choices of the auto show cars remains the same in production, it will be a big step over Fusion.  The Fusion Platinum is nice, and probably among the best in its class for its interior do-up, but there are still obvious base Fusion parts that stick out.  I don't get any of that from the Continental.  I am hard pressed to find any carry over parts from the Fusion on the Continental.   If I wasn't told that this was on the Fusion platform, I probably wouldn't have guessed it.... none of the hard points line up or are obvious.    There is more obvious parts sharing / platform sharing going on between the Maserati Ghibli and Chrysler 300 than there is Fusion/Continental. 

Lincoln did a terrific job on hiding the origins of the platform that they probably could have claimed it was a new platform and non-of us would be any the wiser. 

• Agree 2

I don't think this car needs to play up how it handles a corner...it just doesn't matter for anyone with the proper sensibilities buying a large sedan. Period.

I mean even the damn CT6 commercials have the car being driven in downtown NY at 10 mph. Best way to show off the sports sedan of the class right?

I think in any review, the Lincoln will kill the performance of intended function metric. I'm betting it can really do a lot, the Fusion is a damn good car, and this isn't even a simple stretch and widen job. They took the platform and did a lot of redesigning.

Sorry folks. But I have zero faith in Lincoln to get something done right until it actually gets done right. And that display model was not done right.

Also, it was pretty obvious that the platform was FWD-based, especially compared to the Cadillac.

Kudos aren't free. And I ain't planning on changing that policy.

• Disagree 1

We'll see how it goes. If you want to ramble about display models, well I guess it's only fair to remind you how Johnny Lieberman at Motortrend, and I quote his exact words, "Cadillac interior designers should ALL be fired for the quality of leather used in this car."

That video was taken down from their site, but I remember that's what was said of the CT6 show car. I sat in the same car, and I would disagree with him being so harsh, but that's where it comes full circle.

You can't possibly please everyone. While GM goes even further down the drain to figure out why they should make expensive cars to make good money off of a platform that must have cost a fortune to develop, Ford can use this placeholder and build off of it.

This Continental was never going to be anything more than a comfortable sedan with a plush interior, and epic audio. And it turns out there's a segment of the market that wants just that.

• Disagree 1

Well...at least the Continental has got some name recognition.

Unlike the Cadillac CT whatever # it has....

http://www.autoextremist.com/

But the rest of the lineup? Not so much. The new XT5 shows promise, but it should have been called the Escalade S in order to capitalize on the Escalade’s name recognition and reputation. “XT5” is just another garbled, alphanumeric mishmash nameplate in the marketplace that means less than zero to the average consumer.

As for the civilian ATS and CTS, the two blend together visually on the road to the point that most people only understand the difference with coaching. And the two cars are stepping on each other price-wise at the dealer level, which only adds to the confusion. To top it all off, the new, highly-touted CT6, which looks for all the world like a stretched CTS, is another Cadillac entry that threatens to blend in, too, what with its “restrained” design and already dismally forgettable marketing.

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/?currentPage=2

And now here comes the much-vaunted CT6, a car with great technical promise but with such low - as in less-than-zero - name recognition that it's going to take years - and a ton of money - to convince the American consumer public to take a serious look.
And the campaign for the CT6 is flat-out crap advertising at its most offensive. It's remarkably uninspired and it leaves the distinct impression that Cadillac is simply phoning it in. And it begs the question, WTF is Cadillac? And why should I care?

Hey....dont shoot the messenger, Im only saying what others are thinking!

• Agree 2

The recent CT6 commercials are just plain weird.

The low weight and driving like a much smaller car are not readily apparent, as the car is in a city environment. Mabye slow speed cornering is better, who knows. I will maintain how though get rid of the ugly Platinum grille, and you have a great looking car on the outside.

All I know is that the CT6 was supposed to be a flagship car for Cadillac that made no excuses, we were expecting that after the placeholder XTS had done its job, and yes, for a brand like Cadillac it's going to take time to make it workable as a brand on its own. And now many of us can't even reconcile if the CT6 really needs to be any different, because I'm not even sure if the people buying the CT6 over the XTS really benefit from the new features outside of semi-autnomous driving aids.

What Lincoln is doing is a great strategy when you're not there yet in terms of product. You take the simplest product attributes to master for a large sedan, you get brand recognition from real luxury items, which are focused and never go downmarket from other brands likes Revel audio, and then you dust off the best name every recognized by the brand. Then you put glitzy chrome outside and inside, line the interior with cowhide, and lo and behold you have a large American luxury car. It's a tried and true method, and it doesn't drain the wallet or put an immense imperative to redefine the segment.

• Agree 2

Well...at least the Continental has got some name recognition.

Unlike the Cadillac CT whatever # it has....

http://www.autoextremist.com/

But the rest of the lineup? Not so much. The new XT5 shows promise, but it should have been called the Escalade S in order to capitalize on the Escalade’s name recognition and reputation. “XT5” is just another garbled, alphanumeric mishmash nameplate in the marketplace that means less than zero to the average consumer.

As for the civilian ATS and CTS, the two blend together visually on the road to the point that most people only understand the difference with coaching. And the two cars are stepping on each other price-wise at the dealer level, which only adds to the confusion. To top it all off, the new, highly-touted CT6, which looks for all the world like a stretched CTS, is another Cadillac entry that threatens to blend in, too, what with its “restrained” design and already dismally forgettable marketing.

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/?currentPage=2

And now here comes the much-vaunted CT6, a car with great technical promise but with such low - as in less-than-zero - name recognition that it's going to take years - and a ton of money - to convince the American consumer public to take a serious look.
And the campaign for the CT6 is flat-out crap advertising at its most offensive. It's remarkably uninspired and it leaves the distinct impression that Cadillac is simply phoning it in. And it begs the question, WTF is Cadillac? And why should I care?

Hey....dont shoot the messenger, Im only saying what others are thinking!

And Why Do They Not say this about the MB product line that has the same cheap ass face on their A, B C, E and S series? Talk about a bland blended product line. I can tell more differences between ats, cts and CT6 than I can on the MB units.

Look, there's no two ways about it-the CT6 is the superior product. It didn't debut as a pie-in-the-sky concept with derivitive styling, only to morph into a conventional FWD-based barge with iffy detailing. It bowed in production form, with styling that was recognizably Cadillac, on one of the most advanced front-engine chassis on the planet.

It's even beat the Ford to market by several months.

That's just the way it is

Sorry Drew, got caught up in the Cadillac side discussion. Agree they should be in the caddy thread.

Saw this on the Lincoln in regards to why they are bringing back the Continental. Great video to watch.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/api/embed.html#

http://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2015/03/30/qmb-ford-ceo-mark-fields-intv.cnn 

Sorry Drew, got caught up in the Cadillac side discussion. Agree they should be in the caddy thread.

Saw this on the Lincoln in regards to why they are bringing back the Continental. Great video to watch.

Is it a picture of a guy holding a sign reading "MONEY" ? lol

Me too Drew. Im sorry.

That was trolling on my part. Trolling the anti-Continental sentiment....

The only thing I agree with PDL is the stupidity of alphanumerics.

But like Balthy said in the Cadillac thread....we should give the average consumer some credit.

Sorry to derail once again, I felt I needed to respond to this. To accept responsibility for derailing. To man-up.

Back to the Continental.