Lincoln News: 2017 Lincoln Continental To Begin At $45,485

Well, its understated luxury.  Kinda like that 1970 Continental.  I like that.

I like over the top luxury too. Like in those old Cadillacs from the 70s. And from that  Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance,

Its a nice place to be in....and with that Black Label trim where you get to choose your own style....Id say its a very pleasant place to be in.

Still looks sort of boring.  I look forward to seeing the sales numbers, and how Ford tries to spin in it when it doesn't sell.

Have you seen it in person yet? The size and presence of it in person definitely outdue the pics because I don't think it looks like anything special in pictures either.

I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture though. The competitive set mentioned by Lincoln are about to be completely redesigned all over save for the CT6, but even that is a brand new car.

Legacy issues plague the brand here - and recent Lincolns have had some pre-production build quality issues.

Nor are customers across the pond so fickle. But overall, I have to say right away, do customers in China, the Emirates and perhaps even Russia (where prestige sedans with backseat space are paramount)..how many of those customers actually drive themselves? 

But I think the car is focused. It doesn't exactly have the well-rounded appeal of an Audi A6, but it fits Lincoln.

When I think of Lincoln, I don't really think of sport sedans. I imagine plush interiors and a classy look - a rather stodgy and traditional look.

And the recent Lexus exteriors are no longer quiet luxury. They're very polarizing, and the only ones I think work sort of are the GS and the LX. Beyond that, their interiors have the issues of some Toyota bettering them or being very close for thousands less.

With Lexus re-inventing itself to be hip and sporty, I have to say Lincoln has a good shot. But they gotta deliver.

The press reviews better go along the lines of this : excellent interiors, better than average handling, very isolating, supple ride and space. Lots of space because of the stodgy styling. And excellent tech. As in Sync 3 having simple controls, the seats, audio being top of the line and things along those lines.

Still looks sort of boring.  I look forward to seeing the sales numbers, and how Ford tries to spin in it when it doesn't sell.

Have you seen it in person yet? The size and presence of it in person definitely outdue the pics because I don't think it looks like anything special in pictures either.

The car looks more fluid in person. And actually slightly shorter than I thought. And the proportions are like nothing, nothing like the whale the MKS was after its refresh.

And the amount of room behind the front seats is comical. I almost wonder whey they don't have a flip-down table option....

Hey Casa, when you bought both of your Cadillacs... did you have to pay extra to have leather seats? Or do all Cadillacs come with leather?

All four of my Cadillacs ('05STS, 09,12,16 CTS-V) have had leather without me paying extra. But I will add that I have not had base car in 16 years. Cadillac or otherwise

Mercedes could use cardboard boxes for front seats and the E-class or S-class would out sell the Continental. They may use faux leather on the base models, but they also offer a lot of options that others don't, and more 500 HP models than any other brand.

Mercedes could use cardboard boxes for front seats and the E-class or S-class would out sell the Continental. They may use faux leather on the base models, but they also offer a lot of options that others don't, and more 500 HP models than any other brand.

And yet today I saw an E350 that was cloth seats and plasticy and looks as cheap as the $2 dollar hooker on the corner. Unless you buy new or used the upper level maxed out, MB has some very cheap looking auto's and a lack of style. Jellybean from bottom to top.

Right now the only thing that has it's own style to stand out it the ancient G Wagon and the 4x4 squared or what ever the weird name is supposed to mean is their only interesting auto they make.

I do believe Mercedes is now kind of an in-between brand based on some of their offerings. Like the S-Class. That is a true flying spur competitor.

I think the new E-Class will do well.

Lincoln will have good progress with this vehicle. If anything - it's an exercise on their new approach for being customer-oriented.

I think the as yet unseen Thoroughbred interior theme will use this wood trim... and it's prolly my favourite of any wood trim as of now...

I don't care what anyone says...that is some damn good looking wood trim - either the pattern or finish or both. Take your pick... :heart:

post-13327-0-26741400-1460952674_thumb.p

Make excuses all you want but there is simply no excuse for pleather in a $50k+ Benz. No excuse. If this were offered by Cadillac, you would have a field day talking about GM bean counters and them being cheap.
  • Agree 2

I do believe Mercedes is now kind of an in-between brand based on some of their offerings. Like the S-Class. That is a true flying spur competitor.

I think the new E-Class will do well.

Lincoln will have good progress with this vehicle. If anything - it's an exercise on their new approach for being customer-oriented.

I think the as yet unseen Thoroughbred interior theme will use this wood trim... and it's prolly my favourite of any wood trim as of now...

I don't care what anyone says...that is some damn good looking wood trim - either the pattern or finish or both. Take your pick... :heart:

Suav, I agree that the pattern is nice looking, but wonder if it is real wood or just a quality fake? What auto is this from according to consumers report?

Make excuses all you want but there is simply no excuse for pleather in a $50k+ Benz. No excuse. If this were offered by Cadillac, you would have a field day talking about GM bean counters and them being cheap.

110% Correct. 

It's from a Lincoln MKX BL Thoroughbred interior.

Now imaginify that wood basically plastered all over the Conti with the matching Saddle brown leather.

Teeeasttty....

That would be very tasty indeed with a Mocha Mettalic Exterior color! :P

It's from a Lincoln MKX BL Thoroughbred interior.

Now imaginify that wood basically plastered all over the Conti with the matching Saddle brown leather.

Teeeasttty....

That would be very tasty indeed with a Mocha Mettalic Exterior color! :P

I don't know why that paint job isn't available on the lower trims, but the Chroma Flame paint is also very nice in person.

That's like the perfect crossover for pleasing the ladies. No, really, I saw one MKX on person, and my jaw dropped. The split wing grille is fully realized there..

Of course they had to copy the Mercedes speaker covers and door mounted seat controls. It is funny how people here say Mercedes does so many things wrong, yet Cadillac and Lincoln both want to copy them, and Lincoln especially is hopeless in competing with them.

• Disagree 1

The Revel Audio systems beat the crap out of Burmester and are much higher in brand cachet. Metal Speaker covers are nothing new. 

Lincoln's perfect position seats are more comfortable than anything on the market.

It's going to be plenty more reliable than the S-Class.

And that's all the Lincoln really needs to do well.  

And the Lincoln is unapologetically skewed to comfort and lounging.

To the buyers in China, it's another choice in the field of full-size luxury. Does the car have anything on the S-Class overall. No. But the the most important features - seat comfort, audio and reliability and cachet of an American icon are very powerful still in that market.

Of course they had to copy the Mercedes speaker covers and door mounted seat controls. It is funny how people here say Mercedes does so many things wrong, yet Cadillac and Lincoln both want to copy them, and Lincoln especially is hopeless in competing with them.

Shall I show some things that Mercedes copied?post-13324-0-00905900-1461210728_thumb.j

I swear it seems like I've seen that somewhere before...oh yeah. Here it is.

post-13324-0-57587400-1461210813_thumb.j

Oh and Lincoln has been using door mounted seat controls for a while.

post-13324-0-01808600-1461211043_thumb.j

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

A $10K price advantage over the CT6 is quite significant.  Lincoln has the upper hand.

Not if the quality of materials, fit n finish is not there and it does not scream luxury.

I found what I was looking for. It seems like an excellent interior with this Black Label theme:

Did you climb the highest mountains or run through the fields?

Have you ran and crawled and scaled city walls just to find that youtube pic?

Because Bono did all that...and he STILL hasnt found what he's looking for.

Edited by oldshurst442

Guest BuckNaKidd

A $10K price advantage over the CT6 is quite significant.  Lincoln has the upper hand.

Not if the quality of materials, fit n finish is not there and it does not scream luxury.

In your opinion, have you detected anything through either picture or a journalist's remark (someone who has experienced it in person) that would suggest that this new Lincoln will not have quality materials, fit or finish? 

What I see, is continuous improvement in a brand that is delivering on product, but is a step or two behind in perception.  I bet this Continental will immensely help on the latter.

In your opinion, have you detected anything through either picture or a journalist's remark (someone who has experienced it in person) that would suggest that this new Lincoln will not have quality materials, fit or finish? 

What I see, is continuous improvement in a brand that is delivering on product, but is a step or two behind in perception.  I bet this Continental will immensely help on the latter.

Hey Guest, How about sign up and make an account with us?? Officially become a member of the great community here at CnG! Good group of guys here. 

• Agree 2

In watching the black video above, it is a nice auto, but does not wow me as a Luxury and if you look at the lines, there is clear differences on the hood in the door panels and dash inside. This is a nice Buick competitor.

Yes it has improved and that is great for Lincoln, but this is no Cadillac, BMW or MB competitor.

• Agree 1

I tend to think it is a step above a LaCrosse or like a longer, bigger version of an ES350.  It has fwd and 300ish hp like those other 2.  But the Continental doesn't have a price point like those two.  It will be interesting to see the advertising and how many people buy it.

Hey Guest, How about sign up and make an account with us?? Officially become a member of the great community here at CnG! Good group of guys here.

Do we really another Ford employee? Lol

Do we really another Ford employee? Lol

Damn quick fingers. That should have read "Do we really NEED another Ford employee?"

It's an early prototype mule... Then again, fitment has been troublesome for early build Lincolns recently.

The Continental will be able to offer what the vast majority of the large sedan buyers want in the large premium sedan segment.

I really have to squint to see if any large sedan makes my blood boil. The CT6 can because of what is underneath... but it just doesn't show up on the exterior. Every other car looks tame.

The S-Class looks stately, reliability is an issue, the XJ is a sex machine, but suffers from reliability and build quality issues. The Conti cannot hope to at all get those buyers though. It might get some, nibble away a bit from everyone. And they've been forthcoming for it, so I cannot really go at them for lacking clarity and purpose. There's no mixed messaging. Lincoln is doubling down on what it thinks others are kind of distancing away from even if they still provide it.

The Continental also looks stately, I think every trim except BL is priced correctly. The Revel Audio is proven to be true audiophile excellence. The Lincoln seats are truly world-class comfortable, and I think the AWD system is more advanced than the haldex setup used by Volvo because it can react faster, and at least you get a cylinder and displacement advantage on the Drive-E Volvo engines (which are almost like EcoBoost X2 in mentality really - and haven't really upset the competition over MPG or refinement at idle). And I expect the Continental with the 2.7T to be faster than the T6 S90.

Overall I'm safely going to continue to say that the Continental was drafted up for China first, and again, sales in America will just be a bonus.

I agree with ccap. Don't be shy. Join us for civil discussions about all makes and models of cars from yesteryear to today.

• Agree 1

BuckNaKidd is another troll handle wings used to use in MT.

The addict succumbs to his addiction once again.

LOL@addict

I'm guessing the bulk of sales will be the fleet version, because at higher price points the CT6 is the superior choice.

I'm guess that as well. Ford trying to get back in to the Black Car business. I will correct U on at least one aspect tho.. the CT6.. is the superior vehicle at all price points IMO. The XTS.. is what the Lincoln people apparently bench-marked.. and I'm reserving judgement as to whether they did a better XTS or an, at best, equal one.

Based on the fit/finish of the inner door panel on the turntable model they had at the Edmonton show I'm guessing that the quality woes that plagued the MXZ initially are still present.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The wobble in that stitching was apparent from nearly ten feet away. Ouch

Anyways, a reminder that despite all the hopes one can lard upon it, there's some pretty compelling proof that Ford still doesn't get it with this brand.

• Agree 1

It's the terrible auto-show lighting.

Here's a different one of the same interior basically.

CTN_1_GalleryinFLIP_10.jpg

The Lexus interior has no flaws when it comes to fitment I'll say that for sure. But some of the finishes, especially since the console isn't padded on the sides is questionable - when the Avalon has real stitching .

The Continental is doing what most American luxury cars are known for - lots of wood, lots of leather, and lots of metal accents. I'm waiting to see the Thoroughbred interior. That one will have saddle leather and really nice matte finish burl wood.

The ES is a giant disappointment once you drive it.  The ride is way way too firm for the class, it bangs over bumps which echo into the cabin..and it has lost its quietness that it has a reputation for. Friends of mind have one and let me use it when I'm in town.  It feels like a big Toyota with extra leather.

That is one piss poor sewing job. My grandma can do better. What lazy quality from the assembly line.

I am willing to bet that sewing job was not performed on an assembly line.

. And you think it makes it okay given that this was the car they chose to show the automotive world?

That is one piss poor sewing job. My grandma can do better. What lazy quality from the assembly line.

. And you think it makes it okay given that this was the car they chose to show the automotive world?

Yeah, I gotta agree. Who "okays" that?

I mean I would think there would have been a final "go over" on something that is being shown very very publicly that should have caught something like that.  

Pre-production cars are just that... pre-production.  There is a possibility of changes to the assembly process or the assembly process not even been fully developed yet.

ALL manufacturers have pre-production cars that they use to show the public and press.....and all of them have flaws in assembly.   I will never judge a car show debut car on assembly quality, ever.   

Sometimes the manufacturer let the Press drive these pre-production cars. Often times, they won't even have a VIN because they are due to be crushed after a certain time. The manufacturer will put a disclaimer sticker in the car somewhere indicating that it is pre-production... and yes.. there will be flaws.

Once the actual production Continentals start rolling out, then we can have a looksee to judge. 

• Agree 2

Keep in mind guys we have seen one off custom builds from all manufactures that have errors. If this is a truly hand made auto, then you have to give them some slack for getting it done in a short time frame. If this is partially machine created, then I say shame on them for poor quality.

• Agree 2

Keep in mind guys we have seen one off custom builds from all manufactures that have errors. If this is a truly hand made auto, then you have to give them some slack for getting it done in a short time frame. If this is partially machine created, then I say shame on them for poor quality.

Yeah I understand that and would give more slack if it were a display car..on a podium with the doors open.. If this was on a closed door and somebody snagged a picture through one door to see the inside of the other I wouldn't mind as much as it clearly wasn't intended to be seen as much. 

Good insight, Drew.   :thumbsup:

Pre-production cars are just that... pre-production.  There is a possibility of changes to the assembly process or the assembly process not even been fully developed yet.

ALL manufacturers have pre-production cars that they use to show the public and press.....and all of them have flaws in assembly.   I will never judge a car show debut car on assembly quality, ever.   

Sometimes the manufacturer let the Press drive these pre-production cars. Often times, they won't even have a VIN because they are due to be crushed after a certain time. The manufacturer will put a disclaimer sticker in the car somewhere indicating that it is pre-production... and yes.. there will be flaws.

Once the actual production Continentals start rolling out, then we can have a looksee to judge.

I understand that but I've seen a lot of preproduction cars and I think what makes this error obvious is the contrast from the stitching to the door panel color. Just looks way too obvious and it would bug me to no end. I would certainly hope this does not happen to a production model.

Didn't say anything of the sort.

I understand that but I've seen a lot of preproduction cars and I think what makes this error obvious is the contrast from the stitching to the door panel color. Just looks way too obvious and it would bug me to no end. I would certainly hope this does not happen to a production model.

It doesn't even phase me because it was likely done by hand in a design studio on a tight schedule.  It really is a non-issue in a pre-production car. 

Didn't say anything of the sort.

Never said you did Cos. I asked a simple question. Do you think it was okay for them to send it like that given all the attention it was going to get?

It doesn't even phase me because it was likely done by hand in a design studio on a tight schedule.  It really is a non-issue in a pre-production car.

Oh I agree on that level. Like I said though, I think it just looks worse than it really is because of the color and contrast choices they used. I'll wait until the production hits the streets before judging it as a whole.

Its a pre production car. I will wait to pass judgement when these are rolling off the assembly line.

Fair enough. That's the way I look at it right now. I think if they would have used a different color combination it would not look so obvious. I tend to over analyze that kind of stuff with interiors from all my years working in automotive textiles back in the 90s.

It's the terrible auto-show lighting.

Here's a different one of the same interior basically.

CTN_1_GalleryinFLIP_10.jpg

The Lexus interior has no flaws when it comes to fitment I'll say that for sure. But some of the finishes, especially since the console isn't padded on the sides is questionable - when the Avalon has real stitching .

The Continental is doing what most American luxury cars are known for - lots of wood, lots of leather, and lots of metal accents. I'm waiting to see the Thoroughbred interior. That one will have saddle leather and really nice matte finish burl wood.

The ES is a giant disappointment once you drive it.  The ride is way way too firm for the class, it bangs over bumps which echo into the cabin..and it has lost its quietness that it has a reputation for. Friends of mind have one and let me use it when I'm in town.  It feels like a big Toyota with extra leather.

Won't the Continental feel like a big Fusion with extra leather?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1