FordCosworth

Mustang outperforms Camaro, Challenger in crash test

9 posts in this topic

FordCosworth    128

The Ford Mustang performed slightly better than rival muscle cars Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger in a series of crash tests conducted recently by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

While none of the three earned the institute's Top Safety Pick, which requires good or better ratings in five crashworthiness tests, the Mustang came closest.

The Camaro fell short in one category and lacks an available front crash prevention system, also known as forward collision avoidance warning. Tests found Challenger to be "most in need of improvement."

"Given that sports cars have high crash rates, it's especially important that they offer the best occupant protection possible in a crash," said Adrian Lund, IIHS president.

I really thought the Camaro would have performed better since its the " all new " and came out in Q4 of 2015. And it lacking an available front crash prevention system is a surprise too.

As for the (un)Challenger... Well its no surprise. Its a relic.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2016/05/24/ford-mustang-chevolet-camaro-dodge-challenger-crash-safety-tests/84775394/

• Downvote 3

ccap41    1,163

For me personally, I could care less about a "an available front crash prevention system" so that would never deter me from buying something. Radar cruise control..? Possibly. 

cp-the-nerd    426

Ford guy posts a misleading article about crash ratings that paints the Mustang as the safest, then offers ignorant commentary. This is sure to spark a fair and thoughtful discussion. :rolleyes: Perhaps GM made a mistake omitting the front collision alert entirely (available in the ATS), but don't put on some fake incredulous attitude about how you can't believe the Camaro doesn't have a feature that most of us don't want to begin with.

The Camaro bested the Mustang in the small overlap test, Mustang performed best in the roof stress test. Statistically, the test you want to succeed in for actual safety reasons is the small overlap, and THAT is the test that reflects a newer platform.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

El Kabong    273

It is possible that Ford will update the Mustang's crash structure to deal with offset frontal collisions. It seems to have worked for their pickups.

dfelt    1,782

So I'm wondering. Did Ford's stock go up after this "report"?

We should look at the history and see what the stock price was in may for all three companies and now to see who really won.

• Upvote 1

Iwatched all three crash tested on you-tube (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger) talk about being sad to watch!

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Capitalization

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.