July Car Observation Thread

I've seen a few offbeat oldies the last few days driving around town...

a rough 59 Edsel 2dr sedan in primer gray w/ red trim and red wheels

a very rough 60 Pontiac 2dr sedan in faded red w/ white top, no bumpers, lifted in the rear, a blower hat sticking through the hood

what appeared to be an all original, faded/oxidized lt blue '63 Plymouth wagon

a white '73 Ranchero 500 w/ a white bed cap

• 2 weeks later...

Was at an intersection this morning between a dark red Challenger Hellcat and a new Jaguar F-Pace (first I'd seen of the new CUV).   Both had very different, but appealing exhaust notes as they pulled away...

• Agree 1

Saw a brand new Honda pickup this weekend, had the tag in the window and all and thought not a bad looking truck. Wife and friends all thought it was pretty nice too.

Then a couple miles down the road, the wife and our friends asked me what that ugly truck is we are coming up on. I told them, that was the first generation Ridgeline from Honda. Their original Pickup. The response was WOW, so much bigger and very ugly.

It dawned on me that they are right, the Gen 1 truck is clearly much bigger than gen 2 or at least visually it looks that way. Have to check the specs.

• 2 weeks later...

there have been ford taurus x's coming out the wood works here lately. i saw at least 3 in one week all different colors. i had forgotten such an abomination existed... then i saw a cherry 5dr chevy citation. it was mint, no idea where its been hiding for nearly 30 years. in a walmart parking lot there was a sweet early-mid 60's ford van.

I've seen 3 of the new Ridgelines in the last week...a white one w/ black wheels, a black one, and a silver one.   

For mega-obscure, I saw an '81 Chrysler Newport today in traffic (one year only grille made the ID easy)...dark red w/ dark red vinyl top, some sun fade, but solid overall with shiny chrome, white wall tires...

Saw this handsome Eagle last night:

DNiIZn1.jpg

This is from February, but I still must share with you this glorious beast:

FPgGu81.jpg

Yes, it is a Cimarron chopped into a 2-seat convertible with a continental kit.

Actually, I just found some info and nicer pictures of it here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=17715&t=17715

Saw a brand new Honda pickup this weekend, had the tag in the window and all and thought not a bad looking truck. Wife and friends all thought it was pretty nice too.

Then a couple miles down the road, the wife and our friends asked me what that ugly truck is we are coming up on. I told them, that was the first generation Ridgeline from Honda. Their original Pickup. The response was WOW, so much bigger and very ugly.

It dawned on me that they are right, the Gen 1 truck is clearly much bigger than gen 2 or at least visually it looks that way. Have to check the specs.

From what I have read about the new Ridgeline, it's ride and handling are light years ahead of the Colorado/Canyon, Frontier and Tacoma.  Autoline had a review of it and said it wasn't even close.   I think the inked trunk is pretty innovative, and the way the rear seats folds up to make storage space back there.  The General should get a unibody pick-up to market, perhaps a size smaller than the Colorado since the Colorado is rather big, especially compared to what the S10 was.