William Maley

Industry News: German Legislators Want To Ban Gas and Diesel Powered Vehicles By 2030

Members of Germany's government have passed a resolution that could mean the end of gas and diesel vehicles. German newspaper Der Spiegel reports that the Germany's legislative body, the Bundesrat (represents all sixteen states in the country) passed a resolution to ban the sale of gas and diesel engines in 2030. After that, only zero-emission vehicles will be allowed to be built. 

The resolution also calls on the European Union to follow in their footsteps. But the Bundesrat doesn't have any direct authority over the EU. However, Forbes points out that Germany has the largest government and most powerful economy in the EU. This means any legislation that goes through Germany will in turn influence the EU.

In the resolution, the Bundesrat requests the EU to "review the current practices of taxation and dues with regard to a stimulation of emission-free mobility." Forbes notes this would include possibly scrapping the lower taxes a number of member states employ for diesel. Higher taxes would likely cause people to avoid diesel vehicles.

SourceDer Spiegel, Forbes

View full article

I was mentioning this in another thread, this is the wave of the future, you might as well adjust emotionally now.

Think this is quite a good idea actually.

Fools.  Someone(s) is clearly trying to get a leg-up in their political careers. I swear, politics will be the downfall of modern civilization.

I won’t even bother to read the article, because a headline like that angers me.

Banning ICE after they have become, so clean and will soon get cleaner yet, will mean literally squat in the global scenario.  And that must obviously include hybrids too.  Ban Diesel, perhaps, but not clean PZEV gas engines.  And what about motorsports and boats and……..So what’s left, EV and it’s many limitations?

Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

Fools.  Someone(s) is clearly trying to get a leg-up in their political careers. I swear, politics will be the downfall of modern civilization.

I won’t even bother to read the article, because a headline like that angers me.

Banning ICE after they have become, so clean and will soon get cleaner yet, will mean literally squat in the global scenario.  And that must obviously include hybrids too.  Ban Diesel, perhaps, but not clean PZEV gas engines.  And what about motorsports and boats and……..So what’s left, EV and it’s many limitations?

Pathetic.

I feel just the opposite.  Fossil fuels are inherently dirty and nasty, and Europe has a high population density.  This is infinitely rational.

It would also be really nice if the Untied States would follow suit.  Allow older ICE cars to still roam, but everything sold from 2029 onward must be electric.

Grandfathering in the older stuff would ensure no ones essential rights to drive their current car were violated, and it would also get us away from importing oil-a huge source of our trade deficit.

Do not want this sent off to politics, but so very tired of personally supporting other countries every time I fill up.

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

Pathetic.

Whether you like it or not, fossil fuel auto's and trucks are coming to the end of their life. I covered the MB Semi's and that Japan has medium duty EV trucks. This is a perfect solution for city delivery, no noise, no pollution in the face of people walking the streets. It will not end immediately, but even if they stop building fossil fuel auto's and trucks in 2030. they will still have them on the road for a while.

Yet the future is coming and change is going to happen.

37 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Whether you like it or not, fossil fuel auto's and trucks are coming to the end of their life. I covered the MB Semi's and that Japan has medium duty EV trucks. This is a perfect solution for city delivery, no noise, no pollution in the face of people walking the streets. It will not end immediately, but even if they stop building fossil fuel auto's and trucks in 2030. they will still have them on the road for a while.

Yet the future is coming and change is going to happen.

Yeah, I recall hearing that we would run out of oil like 20 years ago too.

And that we would all be in solar powered flying cars.

Oil will be around for many generations after you and I.  Like, many, many generations.  This is extreme and radical thinking.

28 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Yeah, I recall hearing that we would run out of oil like 20 years ago too.

And that we would all be in solar powered flying cars.

Oil will be around for many generations after you and I.  Like, many, many generations.  This is extreme and radical thinking.

What is wrong with extreme and radical thinking? If it helps cool the planet and clean up the air, then why not change to a better way of transportation and help out the planet, help out those that have lung issues. Why not radically change to make things better?

I was behind two semi's this morning and 4 school buses going off to pick up their kids. Amazing the amount of Diesel smell and pollution that was sent out when the light turned green.

Why not remove this from the streets and have silent auto's that do not cause you to breath that toxic waste into your lungs?

End result, is not all radical extreme thinking is bad, especially when it comes to the health of my fellow man and woman. Cleaner air for all.

32 minutes ago, dfelt said:

What is wrong with extreme and radical thinking? If it helps cool the planet and clean up the air, then why not change to a better way of transportation and help out the planet, help out those that have lung issues. Why not radically change to make things better?

I was behind two semi's this morning and 4 school buses going off to pick up their kids. Amazing the amount of Diesel smell and pollution that was sent out when the light turned green.

Why not remove this from the streets and have silent auto's that do not cause you to breath that toxic waste into your lungs?

End result, is not all radical extreme thinking is bad, especially when it comes to the health of my fellow man and woman. Cleaner air for all.

Cleaner air.  Sounds good.  That is not radical, at all.  The ways of going about it are and they also, more importantly, won’t work.

I am also for curing or at least reducing the ill effects of the flu.  But not by cutting off someone’s head.

You just complained of stinky Diesel, yet cheered their idea of killing gas ICE.  How about they offer gas for cheaper in Eu, so that people start buying more, instead of Diesel which is cheaper and far more harmful to health and air.  There is a simple start.  Air is quickly improved without tearing the heart out of the industry, which is what a radical move would do.  Then allow a slow migration into more hybrids and EV’s, rather than criminalize one or the other.

1 minute ago, Wings4Life said:

Cleaner air.  Sounds good.  That is not radical, at all.  The ways of going about it are and they also, more importantly, won’t work.

I am also for curing or at least reducing the ill effects of the flu.  But not by cutting off someone’s head.

You just complained of stinky Diesel, yet cheered their idea of killing gas ICE.  How about they offer gas for cheaper in Eu, so that people start buying more, instead of Diesel which is cheaper and far more harmful to health and air.  There is a simple start.  Air is quickly improved without tearing the heart out of the industry, which is what a radical move would do.  Then allow a slow migration into more hybrids and EV’s, rather than criminalize one or the other.

Valid point well taken, cheaper Petro rather than diesel would do wonders. Also changing how they tax engine size would help too.

Overall, I think they could come up with a much better tax solution than they currently have. But step in right direction would be to tax diesel higher and lower on petro.

I understand your desire to move slowly as people choose to buy hybrids / ev's.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

As long as I can keep my gas-powered cars and still drive them freely, I honestly couldn't care less.

That said, it won't happen.

It may not happen all the way but chances are good for a significant transition.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Agree completely with this!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Valid point well taken, cheaper Petro rather than diesel would do wonders. Also changing how they tax engine size would help too.

Overall, I think they could come up with a much better tax solution than they currently have. But step in right direction would be to tax diesel higher and lower on petro.

I understand your desire to move slowly as people choose to buy hybrids / ev's.

Thanks dfelt, and I too understand your desire to fix global problems quickly.  But they have to be carefully thought out, and before we take giant steps that impact so many people and industry, costing them untold billions to adopt and certainly hardships along the way…..why evaluate and try simple ideas.  It’s not like we have not done plenty in the last 20 years alone.  Who knows where we will be in another 20,

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Thanks dfelt, and I too understand your desire to fix global problems quickly.  But they have to be carefully thought out, and before we take giant steps that impact so many people and industry, costing them untold billions to adopt and certainly hardships along the way…..why evaluate and try simple ideas.  It’s not like we have not done plenty in the last 20 years alone.  Who knows where we will be in another 20,

And this is excellent, rational thinking. I wish I could up vote it ten times rather than just once. We need rational debate and thoughtful interaction.

That being said, with Britain out of the EU and Germany as the most powerful member, i do wonder how much impact this will have on the other countries and on EU policy as a whole.

• Upvote 2

As Germany goes, so will go the EU.  They have so much influence, they hold up the EU economy.  Sweden and Norway were looking at gas powered car sales bans around 2025, so other countries are on board.  I think 2025 is too soon, but 2030 is still 13+ years away, by then electric cars will be much more viable and affordable.  Eventually all cars will be EV, they are just pushing the envelop faster.

The other thing to consider is they can say by 2030 they will ban gas cars, then in 2025, they can say we'll push it back to 2032 to give automakers more time, but you have to put that deadline out there, you can always push back, but you can't pull a deadline ahead.

I am fine with an all EV car fleet, less pollution is great, less noise is great, less buying oil of all the corrupt governments and terrorists of the Middle East is great too.   It will be a big win all around when we all have EV cars.  The EV cars just have to be affordable, you have to have $20,000 EV cars for people.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

As Germany goes, so will go the EU.  They have so much influence, they hold up the EU economy.  Sweden and Norway were looking at gas powered car sales bans around 2025, so other countries are on board.  I think 2025 is too soon, but 2030 is still 13+ years away, by then electric cars will be much more viable and affordable.  Eventually all cars will be EV, they are just pushing the envelop faster.

The other thing to consider is they can say by 2030 they will ban gas cars, then in 2025, they can say we'll push it back to 2032 to give automakers more time, but you have to put that deadline out there, you can always push back, but you can't pull a deadline ahead.

I am fine with an all EV car fleet, less pollution is great, less noise is great, less buying oil of all the corrupt governments and terrorists of the Middle East is great too.   It will be a big win all around when we all have EV cars.  The EV cars just have to be affordable, you have to have $20,000 EV cars for people.

Agreed!

automakers are currently working on 2020 and beyond. So basically, they would have less than 10 years to prepare.  It's ridiculous to push it so fast.  Nothing will change in 10 years. Nothing will likely change in 100 and I would bet, if possible, very little in 500.  So again, why 10 years.  That is just economic suicide, for absolutely nothing.

• Downvote 1

The Issue is battery technology, Lithium is not a renewable resource nor is it environmentally friendly to mine. The batteries themselves degrade over time and need replacement after 5 yrs. I know 13 years is a long time but long strides need to be made if we want to sustain our current standard expectations from our vehicles.

2 hours ago, Cremazie said:

The Issue is battery technology, Lithium is not a renewable resource nor is it environmentally friendly to mine. The batteries themselves degrade over time and need replacement after 5 yrs. I know 13 years is a long time but long strides need to be made if we want to sustain our current standard expectations from our vehicles.

We will continue to make progress.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Diesel is quite popular in Europe partly due to subsidies provided by governments - in this case, a lower tax rate on diesel fuel than gasoline. The thinking at the time was diesel engines burn their fuel more efficiently than gas engines, thus they contribute less to global warming. But as the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal would reveal, diesel vehicles aren't that much cleaner, producing more nitrogen oxide emissions than their gas counterparts. Now, one CEO from a German automaker is saying that maybe it is time to end the subsidies.
      “We should question the logic and purpose of diesel subsidies. The money can be invested more sensibly to promote more environmentally friendly technologies,” said Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller to German paper Handelsblatt.
      This is quite the surprise as Volkswagen along with other German automakers said diesel still had a future due to new pollution reduction technologies. Also, Volkswagen did very well with the sales of diesel models. But with the dark cloud of the diesel emission scandal, Müller likely sees the writing on the wall and wants to get out ahead.
      Müller went on to say that he was in favor of banning older diesel vehicles from city centers. But he said that newer diesel vehicles should be exempt from the bans as they meet "stricter standards on nitrogen oxide emissions".
      Source: Handelsblatt via New York Times
    • By William Maley
      Diesel is quite popular in Europe partly due to subsidies provided by governments - in this case, a lower tax rate on diesel fuel than gasoline. The thinking at the time was diesel engines burn their fuel more efficiently than gas engines, thus they contribute less to global warming. But as the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal would reveal, diesel vehicles aren't that much cleaner, producing more nitrogen oxide emissions than their gas counterparts. Now, one CEO from a German automaker is saying that maybe it is time to end the subsidies.
      “We should question the logic and purpose of diesel subsidies. The money can be invested more sensibly to promote more environmentally friendly technologies,” said Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller to German paper Handelsblatt.
      This is quite the surprise as Volkswagen along with other German automakers said diesel still had a future due to new pollution reduction technologies. Also, Volkswagen did very well with the sales of diesel models. But with the dark cloud of the diesel emission scandal, Müller likely sees the writing on the wall and wants to get out ahead.
      Müller went on to say that he was in favor of banning older diesel vehicles from city centers. But he said that newer diesel vehicles should be exempt from the bans as they meet "stricter standards on nitrogen oxide emissions".
      Source: Handelsblatt via New York Times

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai was caught off guard by the rise of crossovers with their car heavy lineup. This has caused their sales to fall down. But the Korean automaker is hoping to change that with the announcement of eight new or redesigned crossover models by 2020.
      The plan will begin with the launch of the Kona crossover in March and will include a wide range of models from a small A-segment model to 8-seat midsize model taking the place of the Santa Fe. There are also plans for an electric, hydrogen, and diesel powered models. The electric one is likely the Kona.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai. These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance,”  said Mike O’Brien, Hyundai Motor America vice president for Product Planning.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor America to Release Eight New Crossover Utility Vehicles by the Year 2020
      Vehicles will be powered by Gasoline, Diesel, Hydrogen and Electricity  SUPERIOR TWP., Mich., Nov. 15, 2017 – Hyundai Motor America today announced its commitment to debut eight new or re-engineered crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) in the United States by the year 2020 during a press conference at the Hyundai America Technical Center. Beginning with the launch of the Kona small CUV in March, this new lineup will encompass models from the A-segment (entry level) size class all the way up to the eight-passenger midsize class. Hyundai also will showcase its latest gasoline engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric technologies in these vehicles.
      “Very soon we are going to have the most diverse CUV powertrain lineup in the industry,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “These vehicles will show the engineering prowess of the more than 13,000 engineers Hyundai Motor Company has working on current and future models every single day. Our customers are going to have a lot of great CUV choices in our dealerships.”  
      Debuting at major auto shows including those in Detroit, New York and Los Angeles, this new fleet of CUVs will maintain Hyundai’s promise to make customer’s lives and driving experiences better. Further, Hyundai will be the only manufacturer offering CUV customers four different fuel choices.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai,” O’Brien, added. “These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance.”
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai was caught off guard by the rise of crossovers with their car heavy lineup. This has caused their sales to fall down. But the Korean automaker is hoping to change that with the announcement of eight new or redesigned crossover models by 2020.
      The plan will begin with the launch of the Kona crossover in March and will include a wide range of models from a small A-segment model to 8-seat midsize model taking the place of the Santa Fe. There are also plans for an electric, hydrogen, and diesel powered models. The electric one is likely the Kona.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai. These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance,”  said Mike O’Brien, Hyundai Motor America vice president for Product Planning.
      Source: Hyundai

Hyundai Motor America to Release Eight New Crossover Utility Vehicles by the Year 2020
      Vehicles will be powered by Gasoline, Diesel, Hydrogen and Electricity  SUPERIOR TWP., Mich., Nov. 15, 2017 – Hyundai Motor America today announced its commitment to debut eight new or re-engineered crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) in the United States by the year 2020 during a press conference at the Hyundai America Technical Center. Beginning with the launch of the Kona small CUV in March, this new lineup will encompass models from the A-segment (entry level) size class all the way up to the eight-passenger midsize class. Hyundai also will showcase its latest gasoline engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric technologies in these vehicles.
      “Very soon we are going to have the most diverse CUV powertrain lineup in the industry,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “These vehicles will show the engineering prowess of the more than 13,000 engineers Hyundai Motor Company has working on current and future models every single day. Our customers are going to have a lot of great CUV choices in our dealerships.”  
      Debuting at major auto shows including those in Detroit, New York and Los Angeles, this new fleet of CUVs will maintain Hyundai’s promise to make customer’s lives and driving experiences better. Further, Hyundai will be the only manufacturer offering CUV customers four different fuel choices.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai,” O’Brien, added. “These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance.”

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Mitsubishi has unveiled a new three-year strategic plan called 'Drive for Growth'. The Japanese automaker wants to increase unit sales and revenue by 30 percent - about 1.3 million vehicles sold in the case of the former. It also plans on improving profit margins from 0.3 to 6 percent. To pull this off, Mitsubishi will be working on reducing costs in development and manufacturing, along with investing $5.3 billion for new products and revamping key markets.
      In terms of products, Mitsubishi is planning on launching 11 new and redesigned models over next three years. For the U.S., this means the Outlander PHEV and upcoming Eclipse Cross. The U.S. will also see Mitsubishi work on improving their dealer network.
      "We will re-energize our dealership network. We are reviewing our incentive plans, both to attract new dealers and to encourage existing ones to achieve better sales," said Trevor Mann, COO of Mitsubishi Motors.
      The goal is to see a 30 percent increase in sales to 130,000 vehicles by the 2019 fiscal year.
      For other markets, this is what Mitsubishi is planning,
      For Southeast Asia (Mitsubishi's largest and most profitable marketplace), a new assembly plant in Indonesia and the launch of Xpander multi-purpose vehicle The focus in Japan is revitalizing their mini-car business after the fuel economy manipulation scandal China will see an expansion in dealers with the goal to sell 220,000 vehicles by 2019 There will be one thing the U.S. will be missing out from Mitsubishi. It was expected that the tie-up with Nissan that begun last year would provide some help for the U.S. But according to Automotive News, Mitsubishi will be going on its own for this region. There are three reasons for this; antitrust concerns between the two companies, vehicles using common engines and platforms not being ready, and Mitsubishi wanting to build the brand back up on their own strengths.
      Source: Mitsubishi Motors, Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      MITSUBISHI MOTORS LAUNCHES ‘DRIVE FOR GROWTH’ PLAN TO INCREASE VOLUMES, REVENUES AND PROFITABILITY
      Three-year plan targets more than 30 percent increase in unit sales and revenues Operating profit margin to reach 6 percent or more Capital expenditure and R&D investment to increase to more than 600 billion yen over the three-year period Product renewal to accelerate with launch of six new models including Eclipse Cross SUV Market expansion planned in ASEAN, US and China TOKYO, Japan – Mitsubishi Motors today launched "Drive for Growth," a three-year strategic plan to deliver sustained and profitable growth, targeting an increase of more than 30% in both annual unit sales to 1.3 million vehicles and in revenues to 2.5 trillion yen.
      Under the plan, Mitsubishi Motors aims to achieve an operating profit margin of 6% or more by the end of fiscal 2019, up from 0.3% in fiscal 2016. The plan combines a product renewal program with targeted market expansion and operating efficiency improvements.
      Osamu Masuko, Mitsubishi Motors chief executive, said: "Drive for Growth is a new roadmap for Mitsubishi Motors. We will rebuild trust in our company as our highest priority, successfully launch new vehicles, and achieve a V-shaped financial recovery. These will be the foundations for our future sustainable growth, which will involve increased capital expenditure and product development spending."
      The Drive for Growth plan involves a 60% increase in annual capital expenditure to 137 billion yen in fiscal 2019 – lifting spending as a proportion of sales to 5.5% a year. R&D expenses will rise by 50% to 133 billion yen over the same period. In total, this will amount to more than 600 billion yen in investments. Even with these increases, Mitsubishi Motors will maintain financial discipline and generate positive free cash flow during the period. The company intends to establish a competitive dividend policy comparable to those of other Japanese automotive manufacturers. 
      As part of its investment drive, Mitsubishi Motors plans to strengthen its four-wheel drive SUVs and pick-ups, and to launch 11 models including the XPANDER and Eclipse Cross. The product renewal program will coincide with a market expansion drive in the ASEAN region, Oceania, United States, China and Japan.
      Mr. Masuko said: "This is an ambitious program to maximize our strengths in growing product segments, especially four-wheel drive, and to pursue growth in markets where our brand has strong potential, particularly the ASEAN region. This growth program will also involve an efficient and disciplined operating structure as we continue to manage costs."
      Under Drive for Growth, Mitsubishi Motors is targeting a market share of 10% in ASEAN. Sales activities will be reinforced in the US. The company's presence in China will be strengthened with the introduction of models such as the Outlander and Eclipse Cross. And the company will invest in its sales network and product portfolio to return to profitability in Japan by the end of the plan.
      The strategic plan is based on three strategic initiatives:
      Product renewal: During the period of the plan, Mitsubishi Motors will launch 11 new models, of which six will be entirely new model changes – averaging two each year – while the remainder will be important updates of existing vehicles. By the end of the plan, the company expects its five best-selling global models consisting of SUV, 4WD, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) to account for 70% of total sales volume. Reflecting the shift to lower emission models, the company also announced that it plans to provide electrified solutions across its core model range including an EV kei car from 2020. Focus on core markets to drive revenue growth: This year's opening of a new assembly plant in Indonesia, and the recent launch of the XPANDER multi-purpose vehicle, will drive the growth of the ASEAN business, the group's largest and most profitable operation. ASEAN volumes are expected to rise from 206,000 units a year to 310,000 units a year in 2019. Mitsubishi Motors will also launch new models to assist the turnaround of its important mini-car business in Japan. In the US, the company will improve its dealership networks, targeting a 30% increase in unit sales to 130,000 units in fiscal 2019. In China, Mitsubishi Motors will double the number of dealerships and more than double sales to 220,000 units in fiscal 2019.  Cost Optimization: Mitsubishi Motors will tightly manage production costs, with a target to reduce monozukuri costs by 1.3% per year, in spite of large investments in R&D. Alongside cost management, the company will benefit from growing synergies from its membership of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance. Mitsubishi Motors is seeking synergies totaling more than 100 billion yen over the course of the plan, with the bulk of these to come from efficiencies in procurement and costs avoided in R&D.  Mitsubishi Motors will contribute its expertise in PHEV technology, its capabilities in SUVs and pick-ups, and market strengths in the ASEAN region to the wider synergy program of the Alliance, which aims to double annualized synergies to more than 10 billion euros by the end of 2022.
      "We are refreshing our product line-up, investing in R&D and targeting core market growth," added Mr. Masuko. "Drive for Growth will enable us to continue the transformation of the company over the next three years."

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook