Industry News: Hyundai and Volvo Are Offering Generous Deals To Volkswagen TDI Owners

You're a Volkswagen 2.0L TDI owner who decided to take the buy-back offer. You have a sizeable check in your pocket and decide to go looking for a new car. The folks at Hyundai and Volvo are hoping you buy one of their vehicles and are offering special deals to try and rope you in.

CarsDirect has learned about the offers the two automakers are putting forward to former Volkswagen owners. Hyundai's offer is the Hyundai Circle V-Plan - think Ford's X plan pricing for friends and family. This plan takes 3 percent off the MSRP, plus $1,250 V-Plan cash and current incentives. You'll need to break out the calculator to figure how much you'll save, but it appears to be significant.

As for Volvo, they are offering 5 years of complimentary "Safe + Secure Coverage" - this includes 5  years or 50,000 miles of warranty coverage, free scheduled maintenance, free roadside assistance, and wear and tear coverage for various components. There is also a $750 credit along with a 7-Year/100,000 Mile warranty with free roadside assistance if you go for a Certified Pre-Owned model. On the face of it, the Volvo isn't as generous as the Hyundai one. But Volvo has existing conquest incentives for Volkswagen and Audi owners that switch over. Case in point, the 2016 V60 has $4,500 sitting on the hood.

To qualify for either deal, you'll need to present the Class Settlement letter (Hyundai) or proof of ownership and insurance (Volvo).

Don't be surprised if you begin seeing other automakers offer something similar to draw former Volkswagen 2.0L TDI owners in the near future.

Source: CarsDirect, 2

View full article

Hopefully this lasts until they start actually buying back cars, no one has gotten a signed offer from VW yet. It will be months before cash is actually in the hands of owners.

Meanwhile, we need to modify the sales figure ticker here at C and G, because in 2017 VW will probably buy back more cars than it sells in North America. they have not even started to deal with the situation in Canada yet which is several tens of thousands more cars.

European countries are wanting buy backs also, this will get ugly.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Who in their right mind would trade a VW for a HYUNDAI?  LOL

Certainly not me.  Although the Sonata is certainly a competent vehicle....it isn't really a very interesting one.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Who in their right mind would trade a VW for a HYUNDAI?  LOL

Likely no one. Trade in one cheater for another.

Though, in the C/D world, many simply don't want to part ways with their diesels and I don't blame them. After spending a few days in a Sportwagen TDi, I wonder why I didn't buy one of those instead of the GTI. Cheating software or not, it's a hell of vehicle. Also, in this part of the world, diesel fuel has been cheaper than premium on average. 

I still maintain that, despite the deceit and everything, this whole diesel-gate thing is overblown. I really wish that any publication that picks up yet another story about this whole saga would consider the real-world scale of this entire thing. The relatively few cars that VW sold with NOx limits beyond what is deemed acceptable for passenger vehicles, pales in comparison to what is acceptable for heavy-duty pickups and commercial vehicles, of which there are far many more of on the road. It's so far from an even playing field, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile, other corporations can get away relatively harm-free with product defects that actually kill. VW is just everyone's scapegoat.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Cory Wolfe said:

Likely no one. Trade in one cheater for another.

Though, in the C/D world, many simply don't want to part ways with their diesels and I don't blame them. After spending a few days in a Sportwagen TDi, I wonder why I didn't buy one of those instead of the GTI. Cheating software or not, it's a hell of vehicle. Also, in this part of the world, diesel fuel has been cheaper than premium on average. 

I still maintain that, despite the deceit and everything, this whole diesel-gate thing is overblown. I really wish that any publication that picks up yet another story about this whole saga would consider the real-world scale of this entire thing. The relatively few cars that VW sold with NOx limits beyond what is deemed acceptable for passenger vehicles, pales in comparison to what is acceptable for heavy-duty pickups and commercial vehicles, of which there are far many more of on the road. It's so far from an even playing field, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile, other corporations can get away relatively harm-free with product defects that actually kill. VW is just everyone's scapegoat.

They have suffered far more than they should have.  And yes, the TDI is a fantastic product, especially if you are 2015 or newer with the eA288 motor.

• Agree 1

Just the latest example, a 2013 Santa Fe with 71k miles... engine rapping a death knell... technician is prepping it for engine replacement, says 71k is actually really good for a Hyundai engine... and I quote " just a trash design..."

24 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Just the latest example, a 2013 Santa Fe with 71k miles... engine rapping a death knell... technician is prepping it for engine replacement, says 71k is actually really good for a Hyundai engine... and I quote " just a trash design..."

Yeah, there is a lot to be unhappy about if you are looking at the automotive market as a whole and want to buy a car.  I am trying to be less negative here at C and G but a lot of my choices make me feel like a groom being pushed into an unhappy marriage.

Hyundai and Kia really don't build anything I want, nor does Nissan, Mitsubishi, or a few other people.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Sad, because I like those models too....

Hoping they can lure folks back in with good deals.....though I still wonder how many VW owners will take the buyback-a buddy of mine still plans to keep his car......

He is in the minority.

• Agree 1