Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Industry News: Hyundai and Volvo Are Offering Generous Deals To Volkswagen TDI Owners

11 posts in this topic

William Maley    393

You're a Volkswagen 2.0L TDI owner who decided to take the buy-back offer. You have a sizeable check in your pocket and decide to go looking for a new car. The folks at Hyundai and Volvo are hoping you buy one of their vehicles and are offering special deals to try and rope you in.

CarsDirect has learned about the offers the two automakers are putting forward to former Volkswagen owners. Hyundai's offer is the Hyundai Circle V-Plan - think Ford's X plan pricing for friends and family. This plan takes 3 percent off the MSRP, plus $1,250 V-Plan cash and current incentives. You'll need to break out the calculator to figure how much you'll save, but it appears to be significant.

As for Volvo, they are offering 5 years of complimentary "Safe + Secure Coverage" - this includes 5  years or 50,000 miles of warranty coverage, free scheduled maintenance, free roadside assistance, and wear and tear coverage for various components. There is also a $750 credit along with a 7-Year/100,000 Mile warranty with free roadside assistance if you go for a Certified Pre-Owned model. On the face of it, the Volvo isn't as generous as the Hyundai one. But Volvo has existing conquest incentives for Volkswagen and Audi owners that switch over. Case in point, the 2016 V60 has $4,500 sitting on the hood.

To qualify for either deal, you'll need to present the Class Settlement letter (Hyundai) or proof of ownership and insurance (Volvo).

Don't be surprised if you begin seeing other automakers offer something similar to draw former Volkswagen 2.0L TDI owners in the near future.

Source: CarsDirect, 2

View full article

Hopefully this lasts until they start actually buying back cars, no one has gotten a signed offer from VW yet. It will be months before cash is actually in the hands of owners.

Meanwhile, we need to modify the sales figure ticker here at C and G, because in 2017 VW will probably buy back more cars than it sells in North America. they have not even started to deal with the situation in Canada yet which is several tens of thousands more cars.

European countries are wanting buy backs also, this will get ugly.

ocnblu    733

Who in their right mind would trade a VW for a HYUNDAI?  LOL

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Certainly not me.  Although the Sonata is certainly a competent vehicle....it isn't really a very interesting one.

• Upvote 1

Cory Wolfe    263
4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Likely no one. Trade in one cheater for another.

Though, in the C/D world, many simply don't want to part ways with their diesels and I don't blame them. After spending a few days in a Sportwagen TDi, I wonder why I didn't buy one of those instead of the GTI. Cheating software or not, it's a hell of vehicle. Also, in this part of the world, diesel fuel has been cheaper than premium on average. 

I still maintain that, despite the deceit and everything, this whole diesel-gate thing is overblown. I really wish that any publication that picks up yet another story about this whole saga would consider the real-world scale of this entire thing. The relatively few cars that VW sold with NOx limits beyond what is deemed acceptable for passenger vehicles, pales in comparison to what is acceptable for heavy-duty pickups and commercial vehicles, of which there are far many more of on the road. It's so far from an even playing field, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile, other corporations can get away relatively harm-free with product defects that actually kill. VW is just everyone's scapegoat.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cory Wolfe said:

Likely no one. Trade in one cheater for another.

Though, in the C/D world, many simply don't want to part ways with their diesels and I don't blame them. After spending a few days in a Sportwagen TDi, I wonder why I didn't buy one of those instead of the GTI. Cheating software or not, it's a hell of vehicle. Also, in this part of the world, diesel fuel has been cheaper than premium on average. 

I still maintain that, despite the deceit and everything, this whole diesel-gate thing is overblown. I really wish that any publication that picks up yet another story about this whole saga would consider the real-world scale of this entire thing. The relatively few cars that VW sold with NOx limits beyond what is deemed acceptable for passenger vehicles, pales in comparison to what is acceptable for heavy-duty pickups and commercial vehicles, of which there are far many more of on the road. It's so far from an even playing field, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile, other corporations can get away relatively harm-free with product defects that actually kill. VW is just everyone's scapegoat.

They have suffered far more than they should have.  And yes, the TDI is a fantastic product, especially if you are 2015 or newer with the eA288 motor.

• Upvote 1

ocnblu    733

Just the latest example, a 2013 Santa Fe with 71k miles... engine rapping a death knell... technician is prepping it for engine replacement, says 71k is actually really good for a Hyundai engine... and I quote " just a trash design..."

24 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Just the latest example, a 2013 Santa Fe with 71k miles... engine rapping a death knell... technician is prepping it for engine replacement, says 71k is actually really good for a Hyundai engine... and I quote " just a trash design..."

Yeah, there is a lot to be unhappy about if you are looking at the automotive market as a whole and want to buy a car.  I am trying to be less negative here at C and G but a lot of my choices make me feel like a groom being pushed into an unhappy marriage.

Hyundai and Kia really don't build anything I want, nor does Nissan, Mitsubishi, or a few other people.

• Upvote 1

daves87rs    327

Sad, because I like those models too....

Hoping they can lure folks back in with good deals.....though I still wonder how many VW owners will take the buyback-a buddy of mine still plans to keep his car......

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Sad, because I like those models too....

Hoping they can lure folks back in with good deals.....though I still wonder how many VW owners will take the buyback-a buddy of mine still plans to keep his car......

He is in the minority.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai had a put a lot of confidence into hydrogen being the future power source for vehicles. But much like Toyota, the Korean automaker is realizing that electrics are the way of the future and they might want to jump on the bandwagon soon.
      Today at a press conference in Seoul, Hyundai announced that it would be placing electric vehicles front and center with plans to launch several long-range EVs in the coming years. This includes an electric version of the Kona early next year and an electric sedan for Genesis in 2021 that is expected to have a range of 310 miles. Hyundai also confirmed a report by Reuters saying the company is working on a dedicated EV platform.
      "We're strengthening our eco-friendly car strategy, centering on electric vehicles," said Hyundai Executive Vice President Lee Kwang-guk.
      Hyundai isn't fully giving up on hydrogen. The automaker showed a concept version of its new fuel cell SUV that will replace the Tucson Hydrogen. Hyundai says the model can go 360 miles on one tank of hydrogen. It will launch in Korea next year, with the U.S. and Europe following sometime after.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai had a put a lot of confidence into hydrogen being the future power source for vehicles. But much like Toyota, the Korean automaker is realizing that electrics are the way of the future and they might want to jump on the bandwagon soon.
      Today at a press conference in Seoul, Hyundai announced that it would be placing electric vehicles front and center with plans to launch several long-range EVs in the coming years. This includes an electric version of the Kona early next year and an electric sedan for Genesis in 2021 that is expected to have a range of 310 miles. Hyundai also confirmed a report by Reuters saying the company is working on a dedicated EV platform.
      "We're strengthening our eco-friendly car strategy, centering on electric vehicles," said Hyundai Executive Vice President Lee Kwang-guk.
      Hyundai isn't fully giving up on hydrogen. The automaker showed a concept version of its new fuel cell SUV that will replace the Tucson Hydrogen. Hyundai says the model can go 360 miles on one tank of hydrogen. It will launch in Korea next year, with the U.S. and Europe following sometime after.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      A fresh stack of spy photos of the upcoming Hyundai Veloster N have made their way on to the web this week. The photos show the mule losing some of the camo that we have seen in previous spy shots and are able to pull some new details. The most apparent item is a new rear wing mounted the roof. We can also make out a set of large tailpipes and the front grille extending towards the bottom of the bumper, possibly hinting that there is an intercooler hiding behind it.
      We also got an idea of what is in store for the standard Veloster. Hyundai has decided to drop the split-window liftgate of the current model and go for a regular hatchback. We also note there is coupe-like styling for the roofline.
      The Veloster N will be the second model from Hyundai's new N performance lineup and the first N model to arrive in the U.S. It is expected that the Veloster N will share the powertrain found in the i30 N - a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder 246 horsepower. A performance package bumps power to 270.
      Source: Automobile, Motor1

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)