Frisky Dingo

What Would You Buy Instead: Lexus IS200 F Sport Edition

20 posts in this topic

Frisky Dingo    612

After a piece on this here just posted, C&D did an instrumented test on what may very well be the exact same car. Here's the link for those who want to check it out-

C&D IS200 Test

The review and impressions were very similar. The car has a base price of $42,945. As-tested was $47,235. So let's imagine you're buying a premium/lux sedan in the 43-48K range.

Rules-

1) Car must be a 2016 or 2017 MY on sale now.

2) Must be a 4 door body style. I will allow a hatch/wagon.

3) Must be a sport-lux/premium/sport sedan of some sort.

4) MSRP MUST be at least $43,000, but no more than $48,000.

I can option up an IS 350 to the price range easily, which would be my actual choice. If that were unavailable...

If I option up a TLX 4 banger (2.4) with almost everything including the accessory car cover, I can get to the top of the price ranger rather easily. Would take the TLX with the 4 banger as an actual purchase as the transmission and fuel economy are much better with the 4 banger.

A lot of it depends on which car in my fleet I am actually replacing. This would be assuming I am replacing my 2015 TDI jetta SE.

Were I to be replacing my 2003 R53 Cooper S, optioning up a WRX STI with everything from the optional exhaust to the mud flaps and the carbon fiber trunk trim brings us quite nicely to jsut over 43K....$43,063 by the Subaru Website.

Interesting that Acura gets the 4 cyl right while Lexus gets the 6 cyl right.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Clarity!

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

IS350 is totally within the guidelines. 

Thanks, I thought so. Lexus should have an easier time reprogramming the ECU and tuning the Turbo 4 than Acura will dealing with the sub optimal transmission in the V6 TLX, I think.

Same transmission IIRC that gives FCA so many problems.  What was I saying in the other thread about the smartest people doing the dumbest things...?

Kind of a shame, as the SH-AWD (super handling-all-wheel drive) is a worthy concept and has shown some decent execution from the Honda/Acura crew.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

2017 ATS Sport

2017-ATS-Sport.jpg

2017-ATS-Sport2.jpg

I really like the ATS but from some proportions the styling kind of rubs me the wrong way.  Also, I have two adult sons over six foot tall and the ATS has a very small back seat.

dfelt    1,782
Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

I really like the ATS but from some proportions the styling kind of rubs me the wrong way.  Also, I have two adult sons over six foot tall and the ATS has a very small back seat.

Very true as no one can sit behind me at 6'6" tall but it does meet the guidelines of what one would pick.

Personally I will never own a car, always will be SUVs.

Yet playing this game of what would you pick. :P

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Very true as no one can sit behind me at 6'6" tall but it does meet the guidelines of what one would pick.

Personally I will never own a car, always will be SUVs.

Yet playing this game of what would you pick. :P

...and I would really, really stick by my earlier statements that I find both the Lexus and Acura SUV's somewhat dated and lacking.

However, Lexus flagship LX is up 58 percent over last year and Acura is supply constrained on selling its SUV's. So actual buyers with money to spend disagree with me.

Stew    343

ATS Luxury with the Carbon Sport package in AWD.  Phantom gray, safety and security package, advanced security package, and sunroof.

15 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'm going to go a different direction and go with a loaded Charger R/T Scat Pack. Built out to $47,960. Just edged out a new A4 Allroad or S3.

Charger Build

094d99e7617ec328ab0f754f146fca1ax.jpg

Fair enough, and lust worthy car.  I woudl value handling and chassis dynamics more, and make a different choice.

Frisky Dingo    612
1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Fair enough, and lust worthy car.  I woudl value handling and chassis dynamics more, and make a different choice.

I usually do, but the usual suspects weren't doing it for me. The SS was just out of reach. Both Audis broke the price cap with Virtual Cockpit and Vented seats. The IS350 was compelling, but I'd rather have a big ole V8 and more room.

18 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I usually do, but the usual suspects weren't doing it for me. The SS was just out of reach. Both Audis broke the price cap with Virtual Cockpit and Vented seats. The IS350 was compelling, but I'd rather have a big ole V8 and more room.

Again, nothing wrong with that. I have owned everything from 1950's cars to sports cars and family haulers, you only live once.

It is good to experience different things as a car guy!

If it did not have to be a 4 door sedan, i would option up a Mustang GT or find a gently used Shelby for the money if I wanted American V8 Muscle.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is HUGE.. and it automatically makes me say to a person such as U.. and myself for that matter.. "U SHOULD NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS POLL!!!" A person of a certain height/size proportion simply should not even remotely be shopping for a Daily Driver in this size class. A Weekend runner?>?? Sure.. but as a car U have to live with day in and day out??? No. At minimum we should be looking at the CTS, E-Class, 5Series, GS, or XF. 

Now.. if I was of this size category I would agree with Dfelt and go ATS with the V-Sport trims. 2.0L Turbo with a few mods to get it to the 400HP number

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This is HUGE.. and it automatically makes me say to a person such as U.. and myself for that matter.. "U SHOULD NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS POLL!!!" A person of a certain height/size proportion simply should not even remotely be shopping for a Daily Driver in this size class. A Weekend runner?>?? Sure.. but as a car U have to live with day in and day out??? No. At minimum we should be looking at the CTS, E-Class, 5Series, GS, or XF. 

Now.. if I was of this size category I would agree with Dfelt and go ATS with the V-Sport trims. 2.0L Turbo with a few mods to get it to the 400HP number

Thankfully used CTS fits nicely into my budget.  Back seat of the IS250 will work, Acura TLX will work better.

But yes, larger in some ways would be better.

ccap41    1,163

I don't think a Dodge Charger falls into "sport lux" or "premium". A Chrysler 300 could fall into the "premium" category but not a Dodge.

As much as I love the ATS the engines just don't mesh well for premium. A n/a V6..kind of sucks.. and the 2.0T(which I want BTW) just isn't a $50k engine to me. I want north of 300 ponies for that much money.

Jaguar XE PRESTIGE

Supercharged V6, 340hp.

Jag XE.PNG

(I couldn't afford any color other than black or white because they cost $550 and that put me over budget lol)

dfelt    1,782
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Thankfully used CTS fits nicely into my budget.  Back seat of the IS250 will work, Acura TLX will work better.

But yes, larger in some ways would be better.

Agree, if we could do Certified used, then a CTS-V would be my choice over the ATS. :D 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Agree, if we could do Certified used, then a CTS-V would be my choice over the ATS. :D 

It would be my choice over anything Lexus, Lincoln, Acura, Infinity, BMW, Benz, or Chrysler builds! The whole gently used idea changes where forty five grand goes real effing fast!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About Us

CheersandGears.com

Founded 2001

We  Cars

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

User Submitted Content

Contact Us