TheCarConnection Drives Chevy’s Camaro

here

Sitting out on the tarmac, it's easy to understand why there was so much demand for the first spy shots that TheCarConnection's Web servers nearly shut down. The Camaro concept is absolutely stunning.

"I wanted the guys to design the meanest street-fighting dog you can get," recalls Tom Peters, who oversaw the design project. The Camaro's sharp creases and flared wheel wells hint of raw power, yet the brute elements of the concept pony car are softened by its sensuous curves.

The prototype that was unveiled to so much ballyhoo last January almost didn't happen. The original idea, as outlined by GM's Bob Lutz, was to do an absolutely retro remake of the classic '69 Camaro, easily the most popular year in its long and celebrated history. The project was handed to designer Bob Boniface, who went to work out of Studio North, at the GM Technical Center in Warren, Mich.

But early last year, company officials began to have second thoughts. They called in Peters, who had played lead on the latest Corvette, and asked him to consider developing an alternative design, something a little less literal, though equally reverential. Peters quickly pulled a team together, borrowing designers, sculptors and modelers from other GM projects, and set down to work in the top-secret Studio X.

This car makes me want to f*** it.

It transcends everything the Camaro was before even though

the 1969 Camaro is my lifelong dream car and I love my 68...

this is a whole new level. It will usher in the resurection of GM,

of cheap RWD, of true hardtops & not to mention once again a

Mustang KILLER.

Tammy & I have planned on getting one from the moment we saw it.

Also, I stopped into the flight simulators on base today to check on a course I need and two of the guys there cornered me asking when it was coming out so they could both put deposits down. They both knew I was a major Camaro nut and thought I might know a bit more than I really do, lol. It took me nearly an hour of talking about this new Camaro before I could ask my question.

Honestly my only complaint.... is the color.... i need to see it in something besides gray. Its way too plain. Give me a nice black, orange, green, red anything.... just no more gray.

Honestly my only complaint.... is the color.... i need to see it in something besides gray. Its way too plain. Give me a nice black, orange, green, red anything.... just no more gray.

Agreed, silver screams "average, middle of the road".