• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

GM News: More Downtime Comes To GM's Lordstown Plant

General Motors has extended the plant shutdown at their Lordstown, Ohio plant by 'several weeks' as a way to help cut back on the inventory of the Chevrolet Cruzes.

According to The Detroit News, workers at the plant were notified of the extension this morning. GM did not say how long the extension would be. Robert Morales, president of UAW Local 1714 said the union doesn't have any information on how long the shutdown will last.

GM has been trying to reduce the amount of Cruzes sitting around. Back in November, GM cut a shift at the plant which affected 1,243 workers. The good news is that Cruze inventory has dropped from a 121-day supply that we reported in December to around a 100-day supply. 

Cruze sales in January increased 38.9 percent to 19,949 units.

Source: The Detroit News
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

Small car market is still slow plus way too big msrp's = plant shutdown. 

Gas prices will go up though.  

Old Cruze was so well known and recognized. The new one isn't recognizable in comparison. There hasn't been any advertising either really. 

Get the price down. Advertise it. Hope gas prices go up a bit. 

New equinox will sell yuge

While it does not need to drop to cavalier/cobalt prices, a drop is really needed.

They have cheap leases, which will help, but it's going to dump a bunch back in a few years driving down value to cavalier like levels. Time to throw some cash on the hood and get it back under 20 grand for a start....

Here is what I see.

#1 The car looks too much like most other cars on the market. The last gen at least stood out.

#2 I would not lower the price but I would do a better job on packages and bring more added value to the models going head to head with Kia and Hyundai. Price per month is the major point to this class and if you can offer a better optioned car for the same price the better you will do. Lest face it the better car in this class does nto always lead sales.

#3 Market this car better. I see so little on it and I suspect with it blending in with the other imports many miss out what it is. They recently marketed the hatch but not so much the sedan.

Finally. lets face it this is not the most styling car GM has. Not bad but they have and could do better. Even the Volt with the slight changes looks better. Even the Hatch was an improvement.

The last Cruze was really a well balanced and well done car and the going will be tougher for this car now that it has fallen in line with the others.

I know someone will come in here saying oh we need a SS and the Diesel but even then that is going to account for less than 15K cars at best.  They need to address the core mid pack model in price, options and styling.

I suspect there will be changes but not for 2 years.

Edited by hyperv6

When did the new Cruze go on sale?  I think I've only seen two so far, both on a Chevy dealer's lot.  They seem invisible.  

When did the new Cruze go on sale?  I think I've only seen two so far, both on a Chevy dealer's lot.  They seem invisible.  

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Ford's original plan for the GT was to build the model for two years, with 250 units being built each year. Then Ford extended the production run to four years and expanded the total number of vehicles built to 1,000. So how is Ford doing on their production targets for the GT? According to Motor Authority, they haven't gone as planned.
      This information was first brought to light by a GT message board claiming Ford didn't reach their 250 unit goal for 2017. Motor Authority reached out to Ford and a spokesman confirmed that only 137 GTs were built last year. Why the delay?
      "This is a hand-built supercar, which we are committed to deliver flawlessly. We built into our process an extended ramp-up due to several factors such as global homologation testing and supplier constraints," the spokesman said in a statement.
      Multimatic, the company that is building the GT for Ford explained they "hadn't built cars on this scale before" and it them some time to meet its goal of building one car per work day. The company only reached this goal in the middle of last year. Issues with suppliers and minor issues also played a role. Multimatic did say that everything is on schedule for the full run of 250 vehicles for 2018.
      At the current pace, this would only mean Ford would produce 888 Its, 112 units short from their original goal. The Ford spokesman said they are sticking with their goal of 1,000 vehicles. This likely means Ford will extend production one more year to meet it.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford's original plan for the GT was to build the model for two years, with 250 units being built each year. Then Ford extended the production run to four years and expanded the total number of vehicles built to 1,000. So how is Ford doing on their production targets for the GT? According to Motor Authority, they haven't gone as planned.
      This information was first brought to light by a GT message board claiming Ford didn't reach their 250 unit goal for 2017. Motor Authority reached out to Ford and a spokesman confirmed that only 137 GTs were built last year. Why the delay?
      "This is a hand-built supercar, which we are committed to deliver flawlessly. We built into our process an extended ramp-up due to several factors such as global homologation testing and supplier constraints," the spokesman said in a statement.
      Multimatic, the company that is building the GT for Ford explained they "hadn't built cars on this scale before" and it them some time to meet its goal of building one car per work day. The company only reached this goal in the middle of last year. Issues with suppliers and minor issues also played a role. Multimatic did say that everything is on schedule for the full run of 250 vehicles for 2018.
      At the current pace, this would only mean Ford would produce 888 Its, 112 units short from their original goal. The Ford spokesman said they are sticking with their goal of 1,000 vehicles. This likely means Ford will extend production one more year to meet it.
      Source: Motor Authority
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen's Chattanooga, TN plant will soon have two more vehicles rolling off the line.
      Hinrich Woebcken, VW's North American CEO told Autocar that the upcoming I.D. Buzz and Crozz EVs for the region will be built at Chattanooga.
      “For strong product momentum, they need to be produced in the USA. It’s not possible to come into a high-volume scenario with imported cars. We want to localise electric mobility in the US,” said Woebcken.
      Woebcken also revealed that the models would be 'Americanized'.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
  • My Clubs