Jump to content
trinacriabob

Computer and hardware purchase question - help

Recommended Posts

I'm about to buy a new desktop and a new printer.  I've had both for about 9 years.  They are HP.  The desktop lives on (crossing my fingers) but the printer recently gave up the ghost, after so many years of service.  Two questions:

1.  I am looking at the lower priced HP Pavilions with 12 GB of RAM.  They can come with an Intel CPU (a little more money) or an AMD CPU (a little less money).  Instinctively, I've gone for Intel in the past.  My desktop computer tower use is for easy stuff.  I read a few over my head articles that AMD's Ryzen 5 series CPU is now commendable and has edged up on Intel in the CPU department.  I just went into a big box place and one of the guys told me that the AMD runs a lot hotter and uses more wattage than the Intel, so it won't last as long as the Intel version in similar newer HP Pavilions.  Any thoughts on this?

2.  I am looking at a printer with wide format capability, meaning 11x17 copying and printing.  They have some home use HP and Epson models.  The interface on HP is sadly like that of a cell phone.  It's small.  Epson's is more traditional.  The same guy told me that when the Epson needs to clean itself (that sounds dirty, I know) it kicks out a mechanical lock and you need to pay for a $75 piece each time this occurs.  This sounds ridiculous.  Do you agree?  On my very reliable HP OfficeJet, all I ever did is buy ink cartridges over the years. I've never heard of a lock of sorts on a home printer during its service life.

This big box chain store prices their service plans higher than many other stores.  I've rarely bought stuff there over the years.  I'm betting that a sales push for these service plans would have come on the heels, had I been buying, but I was just looking.

Help and input are greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy in #1 is full of crap. Unless you're running it at full capacity all the time, the heat will never be an issue. Today's chips run amazingly cool for the power they have.

That said. I've been happy with my HPs... But not so happy with Win10. I'll probably go Mac next time around.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The guy in #1 is full of crap. Unless you're running it at full capacity all the time, the heat will never be an issue. Today's chips run amazingly cool for the power they have.

That said. I've been happy with my HPs... But not so happy with Win10. I'll probably go Mac next time around.

Yes, I thought he was a goofball of sorts, probably looking to sell a tech support package.  It would be my first experience with AMD over Intel if I went that route.  They say AMD has a strong processor in the Ryzen 5.  (Incidentally, reisen means travel in German.)

The next one to unsnarl is the printer.  I have enjoyed my HP Office Jets.  Both have had kinks that you learn to navigate around by the lasted many years.  I'll have to research this Epson locking up mechanically and requiring a piece to free it.  That sounds kooky, too.

I'm getting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@trinacriabob First off I have to place this disclaimer. I work for Dell Technology. I hope this info helps. Ask me any questions you have.

The guy you talked to I have to agree with @Drew Dowdell is full of crap.

With that said, the Epyc chip is AMDs commercial grade CPU and the Ryzen is the consumer for desktop and laptop applications, same 32 core cpu but with less memory and PCIe channels. Both chips kick Intel's Ass in performance for both their i9 commercial cpu and i7 consumer and this includes their over clocked gamer cpu.

Intel just showed off a 10Nm 28 core CPU at Computex and they did not bother till after the show a day or two later that it was over clocked at 5GHz and had a mini refrig water chiller. Intel is struggling as AMD has vastly surpassed them.

AMD both consumer and commercial chips handles up to 2TB of ram per CPU with 32 cores in comparison to Intel CPUs that max out at 96GB of ram. Right now Intel will not be able to get anything up and running till December when they start shipping their 10 nanometer (Nm) CPUs that will get close to AMD. Yet AMD also at Computex showed off their next Gen Epyc / Ryzen CPU on a 7 Nm design that will again drop power needs, heat etc.

Right now AMD is actually winning even in their Gen 1 Ryzen chip that is in most system shipping in minimizing power consumption and heat generation.

I will say that if you can afford to put in a little more money, picking up a next Gen Ryzen would give you a long lasting computer.

Good Review on the new AMD Ryzen Gen 2 that will be out in September systems.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-and-2990wx-review

Good info for Gen 1 Ryzen out now and should find good deals on it if you are happy with the performance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

Here is an excellent review of AMD versus Intel Cpu's.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-vs-intel-skylake-x,5727.html

I will say if you have access to Costco, they have some very sweet Dell XPS desktops that are better priced than even my employee pricing for the configurations they sell.

Here is the current info on Costco for Desktop system only:

image.png

Here is for all in one systems:

image.png

Here is their current Printers. After being a long life HP user, their costs for consumables is just stupid crazy compared to printers and quality seems to be terrible right now. I tried Epson but they also seem to be following the HP model. I ended up getting 3yrs ago a Brother MFC system and they rock. Solid and just plain awesome.

image.png

Last option is to consider REFURBISHED. Comes with full warrenty and a great way to either save money or get more system for less money than usual.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/?cid=287779&st=dell+refurbished&VEN1=1PQIzE1f%2C74010960201652%2C901kuu23312%2Cc%2C&VEN2=be%2Cdell+refurbished&lid=5512803&dgc=st&dgseg=arb&acd=1230921317820600&VEN3=153604497227599147

This second link looks like dell but I am not sure, first time seeing it. Might be a certified resellar.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to add a second vote to Brother printers.  I've had a brother inkjet for years.  The ink can be purchased cheap on amazon so you're not paying HP ... or even Brother prices.  The ink on my model can sometimes be a little messy when loading it if you're not careful however. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to add a second vote to Brother printers.  I've had a brother inkjet for years.  The ink can be purchased cheap on amazon so you're not paying HP ... or even Brother prices.  The ink on my model can sometimes be a little messy when loading it if you're not careful however. 

I agree about Brother printer but would go with laser.  I have a Brother color laser printer for about 5 years now and it has been great.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ykX said:

I agree about Brother printer but would go with laser.  I have a Brother color laser printer for about 5 years now and it has been great.

A laser wide-format..... getting spendy! 💸💸💸💸💸

Also, I just re-read what the guy was telling you about the Epson.... all ink-jet printers have a self cleaning mechanism, not just Epson.  I've never had one break on me like he described. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had bad results w/ Epson printers, but those have been cheap ones.   My most recent one wouldn't recognize it had paper in it after replacing the ink cartridges the first time.    I rarely ever print anything, but have a 10 yr old Lexmark 3n1 that still works great.  Heavy, a bit slow, it still keeps going.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love Toms Hardware reviews. Great review of the bleeding edge new CPUs from Intel and AMD.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-vs-intel-skylake-x,5727.html?utm_source=th-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180815-th 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, for those that do not want to read the long heavy testing to see who wins what, here is a recap:

  1. Features (Cores & PCIe Lanes) Winner AMD
  2. Overclocking Winner Tie
  3. Coolers (heating/power consumption) Winner AMD
  4. Motherboards Winner Intel
  5. Gaming Performance Winner Intel
  6. Productivity Performance Winner Tie
  7. Value Winner AMD
  8. Bottom Line Winner AMD

image.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to add a second vote to Brother printers.  I've had a brother inkjet for years.  The ink can be purchased cheap on amazon so you're not paying HP ... or even Brother prices.  The ink on my model can sometimes be a little messy when loading it if you're not careful however. 

I just looked into those on line.  They are a little more than either HP or Epson.  They also get the better reviews.  Since it will be wide format, it will be an inkjet printer.  It's funny because you don't see them advertised all that much.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, dfelt said:

OK, for those that do not want to read the long heavy testing to see who wins what, here is a recap:

  1. Features (Cores & PCIe Lanes) Winner AMD
  2. Overclocking Winner Tie
  3. Coolers (heating/power consumption) Winner AMD
  4. Motherboards Winner Intel
  5. Gaming Performance Winner Intel
  6. Productivity Performance Winner Tie
  7. Value Winner AMD
  8. Bottom Line Winner AMD

image.png

Thank you.  Not interested in gaming.  At all.  LOL.  Spreadsheets, documents, some household name graphics packages, photo storage and editing, YouTube, and general surfing ... that's it!  I'm guessing the above would sort of cover the AMD Ryzen 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, by the way, I was talking to this Indian girl who sold tech stuff at one of the office supply chain stores and she said the thing about the periodic maintenance block on the printer requiring a $ 75 piece to unblock it sounded pretty nutty to her.  It sounded nutty to me.  I wonder what that was all about.  That dude should have been reported to management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Also, by the way, I was talking to this Indian girl who sold tech stuff at one of the office supply chain stores and she said the thing about the periodic maintenance block on the printer requiring a $ 75 piece to unblock it sounded pretty nutty to her.  It sounded nutty to me.  I wonder what that was all about.  That dude should have been reported to management.

From time to time, various manufactures will give SPIFFs on selling their hardware. I know I have seen retail folks use crazy lies to get you to buy a product they get a $25 spiff on. Yet a quick sale can come back to haunt a person if they are not careful.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dfelt said:

From time to time, various manufactures will give SPIFFs on selling their hardware. I know I have seen retail folks use crazy lies to get you to buy a product they get a $25 spiff on. Yet a quick sale can come back to haunt a person if they are not careful.

Thank you.  What a jerk that guy was.  If I've owned 2 HP 4 in 1s for home use for at least 6 years each and they never required anything but ink, then I knew something was off.  I also avoid that chain since they don't have the best prices to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks:

Step 1 - I did buy the printer.  As I had mentioned, I needed 11x17 capability and I didn't want to spend a lot.  I purchased the Epson WF 7720.  I got it for $ 199.99 less $ 50 (a special) for turning in my old printer, an HP Office Jet that lasted a long time.  Total:  $ 149.99.  Let's see how it goes. My demands on a printer are very low.  Reviews on Amazon and big box sites - most love it, some hate it.  I'm finding that's true with struts, which I'm looking at and need, and luck may be involved.  Let's see how this printer goes.

Step 2 - help

a.  Within the last two weeks, my mouse keeps freezing and locking up my old HP Pavilion tower computer.  It's intermittent but becoming more frequent.  Any quick solutions?  Any quick fixes to tide me over for a week or two?

b.  Browsers also keep updating.  Lo and behold, with the latest update, I get a message "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional."  Others have also gotten this message and discuss it on forums.  Some of the fixes aren't working.  Are my bookmarks residing somewhere in my computer nonetheless?  I have quite a few of them and they are in folders.  I've done a back up onto a 1 TB portable within the last 2 months.  Would this have transported the bookmarks to it?  Very frustrating.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Hi folks:

Step 1 - I did buy the printer.  As I had mentioned, I needed 11x17 capability and I didn't want to spend a lot.  I purchased the Epson WF 7720.  I got it for $ 199.99 less $ 50 (a special) for turning in my old printer, an HP Office Jet that lasted a long time.  Total:  $ 149.99.  Let's see how it goes. My demands on a printer are very low.  Reviews on Amazon and big box sites - most love it, some hate it.  I'm finding that's true with struts, which I'm looking at and need, and luck may be involved.  Let's see how this printer goes.

Step 2 - help

a.  Within the last two weeks, my mouse keeps freezing and locking up my old HP Pavilion tower computer.  It's intermittent but becoming more frequent.  Any quick solutions?  Any quick fixes to tide me over for a week or two?

b.  Browsers also keep updating.  Lo and behold, with the latest update, I get a message "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional."  Others have also gotten this message and discuss it on forums.  Some of the fixes aren't working.  Are my bookmarks residing somewhere in my computer nonetheless?  I have quite a few of them and they are in folders.  I've done a back up onto a 1 TB portable within the last 2 months.  Would this have transported the bookmarks to it?  Very frustrating.

Thanks.

Hey congrats on the new printer, wishing you all the best for it's use.

MOUSE - Is this a traditional mouse with a ball? If so, the rollers get dirty and cause the system to skip or not move the mouse so it seems to freeze. You can twist off the circle cover, remove the mouse and then clean the dirt off the rollers.

If it is a optical mouse, you will have to get a new mouse as once the optics start failing they are not user fixable that I am aware of.

BROWSERS - Which one are you using? Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, HP's own proprietary browser?

There are various instructions on the web for this, but it amounts to exporting your bookmarks as an HTML file. Once you have done this, you could then do the following:

  1. Download the latest version of your browser choice.
  2. Uninstall the old browser, updates, etc. for said browser.
  3. Clean install of latest browser.
  4. Import the HTML file of all your bookmarks.
  5. Enjoy using the new browser with all your bookmarks.

Hope this helps you out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Hey congrats on the new printer, wishing you all the best for it's use.

MOUSE - Is this a traditional mouse with a ball? If so, the rollers get dirty and cause the system to skip or not move the mouse so it seems to freeze. You can twist off the circle cover, remove the mouse and then clean the dirt off the rollers.

If it is a optical mouse, you will have to get a new mouse as once the optics start failing they are not user fixable that I am aware of.

BROWSERS - Which one are you using? Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, HP's own proprietary browser?

There are various instructions on the web for this, but it amounts to exporting your bookmarks as an HTML file. Once you have done this, you could then do the following:

  1. Download the latest version of your browser choice.
  2. Uninstall the old browser, updates, etc. for said browser.
  3. Clean install of latest browser.
  4. Import the HTML file of all your bookmarks.
  5. Enjoy using the new browser with all your bookmarks.

Hope this helps you out.

Thank you ... in a big way.  Yes, I remember those types of mouses where the ball was so loose that it lent itself to cleaning, and even falling out!  This one is optical.  With a new tower, I will get a new keyboard and mouse.  Nine plus years has been a long run!

It's Firefox.  I will look at the 5 step solution and try to navigate through that.  If I was looking at a directory without opening up the browser, from which I get this unpleasant message about the bookmarks (that others also have gotten, per searches), then I'd be interested in knowing if they might be in a directory somewhere that would allow me to transfer them onto another medium or two.

I will say that I've been impressed with the longevity of my HP bundle over these years.  My use of it has not been particularly taxing.  I'm sure that has helped.

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help, folks.

My old HP desktop Pavilion and HP monitor have been unplugged.  After many years, my HP Office Jet printer gave up the ghost a few months ago.

In their place is a new HP desktop Pavilion (12 GB RAM and Intel processor) and a bigger HP monitor.  So far, they have been great.  I also was able to buy them at a very good price.  The price of the desktop computer went up quite a bit ... supply and demand.  So, they sat there for a couple of months before I hooked them up, but it was smart to make the move and buy them a couple of months ago.

This time, the printer is an Epson.  I'm learning how to operate it, meaning the range of its capabilities.  This one also has the 11x17 paper feature, which I wanted for this machine.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why only 6 to 12 months then, might as well go to Dell Outlet and get a refurb with their normal same as new warranty but at reduced price.

Dell Outlet

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Don't quote the spammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions on laptops.  A laptop may come later.  At this point, I go between the desktop (recently purchased HP 590) and a phone (which needs to be replaced SOON because it has been irritating me for a while).

AT&T either has cheap phones that don't get good reviews or good phones that get good reviews and cost a lot.  They also have the "bring your own phone" program, where you buy an unlocked and compatible with your carrier's network and your bill is a tad lower because you are not paying on a phone through them.  I've seen some models that AT&T doesn't carry and which I like on-line.  With some models, few are new but MANY are refurbished.  Would you even consider buying a refurbished phone?  And, of the ones claiming to be new but sold by a small indie cell phone mail order store, how do you know they're really new, even if being sold through eBay or Amazon?  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Thanks for the suggestions on laptops.  A laptop may come later.  At this point, I go between the desktop (recently purchased HP 590) and a phone (which needs to be replaced SOON because it has been irritating me for a while).

AT&T either has cheap phones that don't get good reviews or good phones that get good reviews and cost a lot.  They also have the "bring your own phone" program, where you buy an unlocked and compatible with your carrier's network and your bill is a tad lower because you are not paying on a phone through them.  I've seen some models that AT&T doesn't carry and which I like on-line.  With some models, few are new but MANY are refurbished.  Would you even consider buying a refurbished phone?  And, of the ones claiming to be new but sold by a small indie cell phone mail order store, how do you know they're really new, even if being sold through eBay or Amazon?  Any thoughts?

My phone is a refurb that was sent to me as a warranty replacement.  It's been fine. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Thanks for the suggestions on laptops.  A laptop may come later.  At this point, I go between the desktop (recently purchased HP 590) and a phone (which needs to be replaced SOON because it has been irritating me for a while).

AT&T either has cheap phones that don't get good reviews or good phones that get good reviews and cost a lot.  They also have the "bring your own phone" program, where you buy an unlocked and compatible with your carrier's network and your bill is a tad lower because you are not paying on a phone through them.  I've seen some models that AT&T doesn't carry and which I like on-line.  With some models, few are new but MANY are refurbished.  Would you even consider buying a refurbished phone?  And, of the ones claiming to be new but sold by a small indie cell phone mail order store, how do you know they're really new, even if being sold through eBay or Amazon?  Any thoughts?

I honestly have had a hit or miss with refurbished phones. I think one truly needs to do research as it is buyer beware on the phones. I tend to change phones every 4 years so I buy top of the line, in this case been staying with the Samsung Note, went with Note 3 and then Note 8. So yes, $1K is allot of money but when figured over 4 years or so it ends up being cheap for a reliable long term phone.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm intensely researching phones during the next week or so.

If going Android, many are still based on Android 7.  An update to Android 8 is supposedly feasible.  On the other hand, Android 9 (pie) has already been rolled out.

I'm guessing Android 7 and 8 ought to be glitch free.  I'm not sure about Android 9.  Besides googling, I wouldn't even know where to look.

I know there is one excellent website for compare/contrast for cell phones, along with their pros and cons, not to mention their features listed in tabular form for compare/contrast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I'm intensely researching phones during the next week or so.

If going Android, many are still based on Android 7.  An update to Android 8 is supposedly feasible.  On the other hand, Android 9 (pie) has already been rolled out.

I'm guessing Android 7 and 8 ought to be glitch free.  I'm not sure about Android 9.  Besides googling, I wouldn't even know where to look.

I know there is one excellent website for compare/contrast for cell phones, along with their pros and cons, not to mention their features listed in tabular form for compare/contrast.

Get yourself a used Pixel. Then you can be on Android Pie. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I'm intensely researching phones during the next week or so.

If going Android, many are still based on Android 7.  An update to Android 8 is supposedly feasible.  On the other hand, Android 9 (pie) has already been rolled out.

I'm guessing Android 7 and 8 ought to be glitch free.  I'm not sure about Android 9.  Besides googling, I wouldn't even know where to look.

I know there is one excellent website for compare/contrast for cell phones, along with their pros and cons, not to mention their features listed in tabular form for compare/contrast.

Samsung has moved to Pie but then you are looking at the Galaxy 10 line. They have pushed Pie over the last month out to all phones capable of handling Pie.

If you do not want the delay, then you can go with the Pixel as @Drew Dowdell points out, but I have not been impressed with the camera on the pixel.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...