William Maley

Chicago 2019: 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition: Comments

The doors, hood, and other parts have been so mildly reshaped we're really stretching the definition of "all new".  I bet, for example, that the doors and hood from the prior G-Class would physically fit into the openings of the new one and maybe just some trim or a hinge is slightly out of alignment.

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The doors, hood, and other parts have been so mildly reshaped we're really stretching the definition of "all new".  I bet, for example, that the doors and hood from the prior G-Class would physically fit into the openings of the new one and maybe just some trim or a hinge is slightly out of alignment.

2018 vs 2019 G Wagen

"What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class? Well, if you're talking about styling, the answer is "barely anything." They look exactly the same. If you're talking about everything else, though, the answer is "virtually everything." There are only five parts that carry over to the new 2019 G-Class from its predecessor: The door handles, spare tire cover, sun visors, headlight washer nozzles and a bracket somewhere you can't actually see. The term "all-new" is often overused, but this is really as "all-new" as you can get."

" It's 2.1 inches longer, 3 inches wider and its wheelbase has been spread by 1.6 inches. It didn't really get any taller, which is probably for the best. Thanks to an increased use of lighter-weight materials, about 375 pounds was also shaved from its curb weight."

I'm still looking at those doors and they look damn near the same while being ever so slightly different.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

2019 was a ground up new vehicle. 

I know that but he was touting it long before the 2019 came out and never once did he call it “pathetic” that Mercedes had not updated it. That is my point, which I thought was pretty obvious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Maybe except the new G is about 3 inches wider so that old hood would not fit, the wheelbase is longer but I don’t think overall length is up more than an inch or two.  The new one is 190 inches long I think the old was 187 or 188.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe except the new G is about 3 inches wider so that old hood would not fit, the wheelbase is longer but I don’t think overall length is up more than an inch or two.  The new one is 190 inches long I think the old was 187 or 188.

I still think it was pathetic of Mercedes to wait decades to give it a reasonable update. Not like they didn’t have the money. 😉

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I still think it was pathetic of Mercedes to wait decades to give it a reasonable update. Not like they didn’t have the money. 😉

But Toyota leaves a lot of stuff out to rot on the vine, the Tacoma and Tundra had 10+ year model runs, ditto for 4Runner, Lexus GX, Lexus LX, etc.  

And also, G-wagen sales rose consistently from 2009 through 2017, the older it got the better it sold, LOL.   Mercedes constantly put out other new product, with the G-wagen they were building what those buyers demanded.

51 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But Toyota leaves a lot of stuff out to rot on the vine, the Tacoma and Tundra had 10+ year model runs, ditto for 4Runner, Lexus GX, Lexus LX, etc.  

And also, G-wagen sales rose consistently from 2009 through 2017, the older it got the better it sold, LOL.   Mercedes constantly put out other new product, with the G-wagen they were building what those buyers demanded.

Yet what Toyota has been left to ROT on the vine as you say like the G-Wagon was. Rotting from 1972 inception till 2018. Yes according to MB they did updates and tweaks, but the core of the auto was the same for 46 years.

Yes if you go by Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class) you will say it was new due to a revised chassis so 1990 to 2018 was a new model compared to 1972 to 1989. 

So if we go that route you have 17 years before any major changes to the core and then 28 years.

Toyota has not left anything that long on the same platform.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yet what Toyota has been left to ROT on the vine as you say like the G-Wagon was. Rotting from 1972 inception till 2018. Yes according to MB they did updates and tweaks, but the core of the auto was the same for 46 years.

Yes if you go by Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_G-Class) you will say it was new due to a revised chassis so 1990 to 2018 was a new model compared to 1972 to 1989. 

So if we go that route you have 17 years before any major changes to the core and then 28 years.

We will just completely sidestep the fact that one of those “rotting vines”, the Tacoma, is still the best selling mid-size truck by a mile and was just redesigned a few years ago (the 4Runner also continues sell like hot cakes despite the rise of CUVs). It’s sales numbers NEVER wavered but yet SMK can’t apply his G-Wagon “logic” to Toyota. Fanboy logic 101.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 2

I don't see the issue because it sold and sold for incredible prices.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It still did all the luxury and off-road stuff, it was just rough around the edges. 

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

So true, the G-Wagon is not worth the money, no matter the tech they put into it. The G-Wagon is just printing money for MB as it is the same spec wagon sold to military peeps around the world at inflated prices.

I also feel like that could be said for every singly luxury branded vehicle ever created. 

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

the Tacoma, is still the best selling mid-size truck by a mile

I'm impressed their sales never dipped when the objectively better GM twins hit the market. 

This is my exact reason for hating, while admiring Toyota. That split goes about 9-% hate, and 10% admiration if U need numbers. They pull this BS off all the time.. no flack.. no long degrading articles.. Corolla is an example. They take a vehicle and milk the sob for 5, 10, 15 years and get to tweak imperfections in reliability all the way thru.. while GM has to change their vehicles every 5 years and have new tech be vetted til its perfect, then start new again on new tech.. repeat. This is hands down, along with the GWagon and Nissan/Infiniti Quasimodo looking mofos, SUVs I wouldn't buy with your money. They are ugly, old, and have little that I find desirable. The off road thing is nominal for most, as I have not once found a person who takes a brand new $85K+ SUV out on a rock climb. It just doesn't happen. And if the badges are pretty much where the "Heritage" ends then I've truly lost faith in the Yuppies of the world. 

Hey Chevy. PLEASE GO TAKE A TAHOE Z71, MAKE IT A TWO DOOR, WITH A DROP DOWN TAIL, POP UP GLASS, GIVE IT A COMPLETE RUBBERIZED FLOOR, RAISE IT 3 INCHES, GIVE IT ALL TERRAINS ON A 15-16 INCH WHEEL, WITH A SPARE BEHIND THE SEATS.. AND CALL IT THE BLAZER K5 HERITAGE EDITION AND USE THESE EMBLEMS.. PITTED AND EVERYTHING WITH A HINT OF RUST

59-055-2.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I also feel like that could be said for every singly luxury branded vehicle ever created. 

I'm impressed their sales never dipped when the objectively better GM twins hit the market. 

Better or not, clearly reputation speaks volumes. There have been years where RAM and GM have been better than Ford yet F-150s still sold like hot cakes. 

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Better or not, clearly reputation speaks volumes. There have been years where RAM and GM have been better than Ford yet F-150s still sold like hot cakes. 

True but the Colorado seems like it's better by a larger margin and AMERICAN company selling trucks. I just expected the twins to have more of a negative sales effect on the Taco. As a Taco fan, I'm glad a better truck came out as competition. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

True but the Colorado seems like it's better by a larger margin and AMERICAN company selling trucks. I just expected the twins to have more of a negative sales effect on the Taco. As a Taco fan, I'm glad a better truck came out as competition. 

Again, I’m not debating that. I did some part time work last year at a Chevy dealership and got a lot of time behind the wheel of several Colorado’s. They ride nice, sit comfortably, and have some nice engine options (for once) but it is hard to put a chink in the armor of the Tacoma because even if the Colorado is better, it’s not like the Tacoma is totally slacking off. Tacoma owners are a loyal bunch as well and their word of mouth has helped keep the Tacoma ahead in sales for years. I’m convinced of that fact. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Hey Chevy. PLEASE GO TAKE A TAHOE Z71, MAKE IT A TWO DOOR, WITH A DROP DOWN TAIL, POP UP GLASS, GIVE IT A COMPLETE RUBBERIZED FLOOR, RAISE IT 3 INCHES, GIVE IT ALL TERRAINS ON A 15-16 INCH WHEEL, WITH A SPARE BEHIND THE SEATS.. AND CALL IT THE BLAZER K5 HERITAGE EDITION AND USE THESE EMBLEMS.. PITTED AND EVERYTHING WITH A HINT OF RUST

59-055-2.jpg

I want my K5 Blazer in Deep Forest Metallic Green, with BF Goodrich A/T tires please along with detroit lockers front and rear and a 65 to 1 crawl ratio like the Hummers had. :D 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sales numbers would indicate that while the Taco faithful have stuck to them every other brand suffered and lost sales to the GM Twins.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I want my K5 Blazer in Deep Forest Metallic Green, with BF Goodrich A/T tires please along with detroit lockers front and rear and a 65 to 1 crawl ratio like the Hummers had. :D 

Sales numbers would indicate that while the Taco faithful have stuck to them every other brand suffered and lost sales to the GM Twins.

So... Nissan..? lol

Nissan didn't suffer a sales hit either... the customers came from other non-truck vehicles. 

Nissan still sells the Frontier without incentives and keeps up a pretty good pace.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well the Frontier is a simple, durable product, without a lot of so-called "modern tech" to muddy the concept.

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/frontier/build-price.html?filter=king-cab®,4x4#summary/A1ZdTA1o5Uwj-QYsi6Mo

Go to this link and be amazed by the amount of stuff the Frontier PRO-4X King Cab packs into its price for $33k, before my accessorization!  A potential buyer just cannot get near as much kit in the competition for the price.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, dfelt said:

Is the Land Cruiser better than a Yukon or Expedition or Navigator?  If not, then time for Toyota to make an update.  The G-wagen didn't really have completion other than maybe a top end Range Rover for all those years, and people still bought it over the Range Rover.

Different niche.  The Seqouia is their competitor for the Expedition and Tahoe/Yukon.   The LC is an international product competing w/ the Nissan Patrol. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2019 at 4:33 AM, ocnblu said:

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/frontier/build-price.html?filter=king-cab®,4x4#summary/A1ZdTA1o5Uwj-QYsi6Mo

Go to this link and be amazed by the amount of stuff the Frontier PRO-4X King Cab packs into its price for $33k, before my accessorization!  A potential buyer just cannot get near as much kit in the competition for the price.

So their gimmick is to offer them at fire sale prices. Kind of proves my point about them versus the competition. To pretend otherwise is a bit foolish.