September 2019 auto spotter

David

Today on the way home to the bus stop.from work, I saw this police car followed by a manufacture plate full size truck that had tubes all over Nd then I saw on the back a camera hanging with red light clearly recording. I look where the camera was pointed at and a standard size Yukon with no plate, but also a nose I had never seen before. Got my phone out in the rain to snap this pic, this refresh??? Yukon was followed by a current year yukon 2019 with manufacture plates and then a seattle motorcycle with lights on. Clearly recording something in the Emerald City.

20190917_150746.jpg

• Agree 1

Got to check out and sit in this bad boy C8 last month at a Chevrolet dealer reveal day here in Scottsdale, AZ. GM is touring the country with 3 or 4 or them. Very cool presentation. Beautiful and solid build inside and out. GM really knocked it out of the park with this car, amazing engineering feat. U.S.A!!

C8 front end.jpg

C8 main hood emblem.jpg

C8 Stingray emblem.jpg

C8 rear hatch_engine.jpg

C8 Engine cover.jpg

C8 mid engine window HDR.jpg

C8 steering wheel.jpg

C8 covered.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/17/2019 at 8:45 PM, dfelt said:

Today on the way home to the bus stop.from work, I saw this police car followed by a manufacture plate full size truck that had tubes all over Nd then I saw on the back a camera hanging with red light clearly recording. I look where the camera was pointed at and a standard size Yukon with no plate, but also a nose I had never seen before. Got my phone out in the rain to snap this pic, this refresh??? Yukon was followed by a current year yukon 2019 with manufacture plates and then a seattle motorcycle with lights on. Clearly recording something in the Emerald City.

20190917_150746.jpg

New GM commercial possibly? That's definitely DT Seattle! I grew up in rural Oregon that's now wine country.

• Agree 1

So I was standing on a suburban curb, looking to cross the street. Otherwise I would never have noticed it, but an assumedly brand new audi A7 went by. It wore a rather striking coat of a silvery green color.

I googled around, found nothing. I looked at audi's website, it's not a standard color. They have an option to check 'special colors', but the price was "$0" and none of them show up in the configurator. Either the site is screwed up, or there are in fact no special A7 colors. Would like to see that color again...

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

So I was standing on a suburban curb, looking to cross the street. Otherwise I would never have noticed it, but an assumedly brand new audi A7 went by. It wore a rather striking coat of a silvery green color.

I googled around, found nothing. I looked at audi's website, it's not a standard color. They have an option to check 'special colors', but the price was "$0" and none of them show up in the configurator. Either the site is screwed up, or there are in fact no special A7 colors. Would like to see that color again...

Probably a wrapped car. Ton of colors and it looks really good now can't even tell it's wrap.

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Spotted this just a few blocks from my house. Rare to find them in good condition these days. They tended to eat timing belts.

IMG_20190924_122450.jpg

Nice, too bad it has a FART can applied to it.

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2019 at 10:45 PM, dfelt said:

20190917_150746.jpg

You can even tell you're tall from your pictures! It looks like the camera is at the height of the Tahoe! 

On 9/18/2019 at 5:07 PM, dfelt said:

Today on the way to the bus stop, saw a mint condition Ford Excursion V10 edition.

So rare to see.

Are the V10's more rare than the diesels? 

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You can even tell you're tall from your pictures! It looks like the camera is at the height of the Tahoe! 

Are the V10's more rare than the diesels? 

:roflmao: Yup welcome to my world View! :P

At least in the pacific northwest, you find plenty of better Excursion Diesels, but rarely a V10. So yes at least in the PNW they are very rare even in truck form they are rare for Ford. Ram on the other hand has V10 everywhere.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

427 in a mid-size Fairlane. I think this gen max’d out at 390s.

Now ya got my curiosity perked,

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ultra-rare-1967-ford-fairlane-427-comes-out-of-hiding-after-25-years/

Had no idea only 57 of the 1966 Fairlane were built with the 427 and only 230 built for the 1967 year. 

Very cool read on this guys mission to find and finally buy 1 of 2 rare 1967 427 Fairlane with Tach and 4 sp manual.

According to this, and I hate quoting wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fairlane_(Americas)

The 1967 convertible could be ordered up with the 427 which was only available with the XL package. This very well could be factory as the hood scoop came with the dual quad carburetor's. 

Very cool indeed and rare.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ultra-rare-1967-ford-fairlane-427-comes-out-of-hiding-after-25-years/

Had no idea only 57 of the 1966 Fairlane were built with the 427 and only 230 built for the 1967 year. 

Very cool read on this guys mission to find and finally buy 1 of 2 rare 1967 427 Fairlane with Tach and 4 sp manual.

According to this, and I hate quoting wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fairlane_(Americas)

The 1967 convertible could be ordered up with the 427 which was only available with the XL package. This very well could be factory as the hood scoop came with the dual quad carburetor's. 

Never knew the Fairlane even came with a 427. Had a buddy in high school who had a white '66 with a built 390, big Ford guy, very clean nice car.

• Agree 1

Out and about this afternoon saw a matte black '55 Chevy Bel Air ht street machine..no front bumper, wide rear tires, on Centerlines, a sharp dark blue '69/70 Grand Prix, a clean early 70s bright red Camaro, and a clean gold early 80s Sedan de Ville.

21 hours ago, dfelt said:

Some of the '66-67s were built w/ a fiberglass hood w/ scoop.   Saw one at Barrett-Jackson auction a few years ago in Scottsdale.  

485671.jpg

Here's a '67:

1967-427-ford-fairlane-w-code-1.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Retro posting

Sighting in Sicily

A trio of very different cars with the Mediterranean in the background while buying snacks at a roadside cafe:'  a Smart car two-seater, an old and beat up Fiat Panda, and, what, a Ford Fusion?!?

KIMG1656.thumb.JPG.a032b4710791290f866e71138cd6a0a9.JPG

Turns out it's a Ford Mondeo.  I do not know what powers it and I did not check to see whether it was a manual or automatic.  That's probably about the biggest size car you'd want over there with the narrow and archaic roads.

KIMG1658.thumb.JPG.80bfdcf282e46b0e6db7e613a5ff45f1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

In doing some photo organizing, I found this.

(Someone once told me that, in Japan, "young" people wear t-shirts with some random English word on them, just to have something in English on their t-shirt. Whatever floats your boat.)

You can see some random things in Europe, too, and here's a fairly goofy choice of words I saw on a Smart for Two in Sicily.   This would be funny to most Anglophones.

KIMG1748.thumb.JPG.8184abb4138d9dfdf72f5dcaca1897be.JPG

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

In doing some photo organizing, I found this.

(Someone once told me that, in Japan, "young" people wear t-shirts with some random English word on them, just to have something in English on their t-shirt. Whatever floats your boat.)

You can see some random things in Europe, too, and here's a fairly goofy choice of words I saw on a Smart for Two in Sicily.   This would be funny to most Anglophones.

Similarly, I've seen random US sports team shirts show up in European TV shows..like Ohio State, Notre Dame and a high school in Texas sports shirts/hoodies were seen in a Belgian crime drama I watched recently.

@trinacriabob @Robert Hall So true about crazy English on Asians. Sometimes I just cracked up walking around back in college in Japan or as I traveled the Asian rim during college breaks and even in the last 10 years for work. So funny that they have no clue what is on their t-shirt, just cool as it is English. :roflmao:

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Haha 2

There were photos of t-shirt and a logo on a truck in Japan some years ago posted on a car magazine site fir KFC—King Fucker Chicken .  Apparently it wasn't a restaurant, but a Japanese heavy metal band.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

image.png

image.png

And I've never been over there.  I've just heard about it from exchange students or travelers who have seen this.  So I guess it's true.  And, damn, it's even funnier when their grammar is quite a ways off!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1