Nissan News: Nissan Cuts Two Days of Pay for North American Employees

Drew Dowdell

Nissan is forcing employees to go without pay for two days at the beginning of January 2020 by remaining closed on the 2nd and 3rd of January. The move equates to a 9.2% pay cut for those paid monthly.  In addition to the pay cuts, Nissan is cutting travel expenses by half effective immediately. All of Nissan's US operations, including Infiniti an Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp, the company's in house financing unit are included in the shut down. 

Nissan has been plagued with falling sales in the U.S. with the entire group falling 16 percent in November. Nissan brand fell 13 percent and Infiniti fell 33 percent (You can view the industry sales figure ticker for November here). Nissan has been moving away from high volume fleet sales and cutting back on retail incentives in a drive to be more profitable. 

View full article

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Some hard painful times ahead for some of these auto companies.

Can somebody explain why anyone should buy a new Nissan or Infiniti as opposed to the competition?  I missed that meeting apparently.  Will either exist in five years is the question.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, riviera74 said:

Can somebody explain why anyone should buy a new Nissan or Infiniti as opposed to the competition?  I missed that meeting apparently.  Will either exist in five years is the question.

Been seeing more of the new style Altimas lately.  They all seem to have 'AWD" badges on them.  Nissan's not gonna get rich on Altima sales though.

TIme for a new Rogue though, those sell like hot cakes around here.  Had Nissan turned their lineups over more quickly I don't think they would have these issues.

Infiniti's behind the curve.  The new crossover of theirs is a bit of a styling dud and thats the one that has to hit the meat of the luxury crossover market for them.  I don't think its been doing that.

I think we underestimate still how much over the decades the car buying public has been drinking the 'Honda and Toyota are best, most reliable' kool aid.  Why people buy Toyotas, I truly do not understand, but they can poop on a plate and make straight cash homey doing so, no questions asked.  I do admit to liking the current RAV4, but everything else Toyota is 'why would you buy that over ______?" to me......

Until Nissan gains back that swagger like when they introduced the game changing Altima style in the early 00's (or whenever that was).. and breathes a hint of performance image back into their products, it may be tough.  Right now they have to sell themselves on easy credit and cheap payments like many other manufacturers do but it becomes a problem when you have to have easier credit and cheaper payments then Hyundai to move metal.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

I think they were betting on the new variable compression turbo 2.0 to be their killer app.  But I've driven it a few times and it is unremarkable, even a bit coarse. It doesn't get amazing fuel economy like they said it would either.