Ask Me Anything: 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum

William Maley

Today saw the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport being swapped for this 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum. This base model comes very well equipped with a LED headlights, panoramic sunroof, 10-way power seats12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster, and a 9-inch infotainment system. But this particular vehicle is loaded with over $9,000 in options including metallic paint, 19-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, Harman/Kardon audio system, and power trunk lid. This brings the price to $46,240 with destination - base being $36,050.

Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 250 horsepower, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.

I'll be updating this piece later in the day with some first drive impressions and I only briefly drove it around my work's parking lot to grab some pictures. In the meantime, start dropping off your questions.

UPDATE: As promised (albeit slightly late), some more first impressions of the S60.

• The T5 engine is a surprisingly punchy engine, providing rapid power when driving on the freeway or exiting a turn. But the downside is noticeable turbo lag when leaving a stop - something I noted in my XC40 review.
  • Volvo Sensus and my iPhone 7 Plus aren't seeming getting along at the moment. When I first plugged my phone in, the system recognized it and brought up the button to launch Apple CarPlay. But I couldn't bring up the CarPlay interface as the button did nothing. I had to unplug and plug the phone back in before it worked.
    • One more issue concerning CarPlay. Some apps only bring up a blank screen when first opened. I would close them and relaunch to bring them to back to regular status. I can't explain whether this is due to me still running an older version of the OS or something with the car.
  • To answer @regfootball comment on the space, this feels slightly larger than the outgoing S60. In the back, I have slightly more legroom than the previous models I have driven. Headroom is still tight, partly due to the optional panoramic sunroof. Volvo still hasn't solved getting in and out of the back as it still feels like a tight squeeze, even though the rear doors do have a wider opening.

2020 Volvo S60 2.jpg

2020 Volvo S60 3.jpg

View full article

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Nice car! 
Volvo On Call app would never work.  
Spent 7 hours working on it looks like it should take 10 minutes. 
I have no remote start on a brand new car.  Got old cars I can start with a keyfob.  
Pretty disappointing if you ask me.  

• 3 months later...

I like some things about it while others not so much.  The roof line is traditional and safe ... if that's what you want.  The rear tail lamp arrangement is attractive enough ... it has enough going on.  As for the dash, I don't like the little knobs on the air conditioning vents.  They remind me of something American, sort of ungainly, and from decades ago.

I will have to hand it to Volvo for one thing.  It was once upon a time America's hippie car. 

fc26230ab0a8e6ccfa8b9958436ea871.jpg

THIS was the car you drove off to UC Santa Cruz or Smith College in ... and put lots of counterculture stickers on.

Thankfully, Volvo has passed that baton to Subaru (which is probably now quietly trying to shed that image with larger and more up-line cars).  Said another way, "You've come a long way, baby."

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like the larger V90...I think I'd be very happy with one of these and living in New England.  Love the blue. 

f17cdf1df7d14ff3f10cb1ad6bba1a48.jpg

I'm not up to date on the latest Volvo wagon configurations.  I'd have to see that blue in person.  It would also depend on the interior color.  Yes to New England, though.  Most of it.  When people say they like N.E., it's usually Boston and MA, VT, NH, and ME.  Most people aren't big fans of CT and RI.  I also just recently read that many N.E. states have a high outbound move rates because of cost of living and tax burden ... less so for weather.

Edited by trinacriabob