Jump to content
dfelt

Samsung shows off new Foldable Flip Phone

Recommended Posts

Get ready for smaller smartphones. Samsung showed off their new foldable smartphone the Galaxy Z Flip. Small square screen on the outside, big foldable screen on the inside.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also showed off the new Flag ship phones Galaxy S20 Phones.  WOW, so you have a choice 64 mega pixel on the small and medium phone, 108 mega pixel on the Ultra.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I will 100% pass on a folding screen phone. 

Why? Motorola has a new Razor coming, as does just about everyone. Seems a full screen Smartphone that fold in half to take up less space is the new trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how well these folding screens will hold up to daily use, though.   I do like the idea of smaller phones.  I really don’t want anything larger than my iPhone 7, but it seems everything is considerably larger now. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Why? Motorola has a new Razor coming, as does just about everyone. Seems a full screen Smartphone that fold in half to take up less space is the new trend.

I would wait at least 1-2 generations until they work out the kinks 

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I wonder how well these folding screens will hold up to daily use, though.   I do like the idea of smaller phones.  I really don’t want anything larger than my iPhone 7, but it seems everything is considerably larger now. 

I actually prefer larger screen, after using phones with larger screens for a while now, the smaller screens like iPhone 7 feel like a toy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would wait at least 1-2 generations until they work out the kinks 

I actually prefer larger screen, after using phones with larger screens for a while now, the smaller screens like iPhone 7 feel like a toy 

1st part:   Dont you mean...wrinkles?    🤣

 

2nd part:  I got solution (in Russian accent)

Image result for ipad mini

or this one (is same Russian accent)

Image result for ipad

 

(In normal Canadian English accent)

Sorry, but I too, find today's phones too big, eh?  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would wait at least 1-2 generations until they work out the kinks 

I actually prefer larger screen, after using phones with larger screens for a while now, the smaller screens like iPhone 7 feel like a toy 

I don't like the larger phones because they don't fit in pockets as easily, and a larger phone is harder to use with one hand...with the 7 I can hold in my left hand and use my thumb to launch apps anywhere on the screen..can't do that with a larger screen.  

I like my iPad and Kindle Fire for reading books and magazines, sometimes watching videos... I don't really want a phone that thinks it's a tablet.  Different use cases. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Why? Motorola has a new Razor coming, as does just about everyone. Seems a full screen Smartphone that fold in half to take up less space is the new trend.

There is almost zero chance that screen lasts 4 years like my iPhone screens have. 

37 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would wait at least 1-2 generations until they work out the kinks 

Exactly my thinking. I'm not opposed to them when they've been tested and proven but no thank you to a first-timer.

Wasn't there a folding smartphone out just last year and it was canceled almost immediately after it broke super easy? 

Yup, Samsung Fold. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess it wasn't canceled but put on a delay but it received pretty garbage reviews. 

I remember the reviews..like after a few uses the screen was bulging and you could pry it loose w/ a fingernail.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I remember the reviews..like after a few uses the screen was bulging and you could pry it loose w/ a fingernail.  

$2,000 for something that was extremely fragile and a piece of junk... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I'm a long-time iPhone fan, I am impressed w/ the Samsung Galaxy line of phones.  My sister's is 3 years old and it's battery life is still strong..great camera and screen also....my iPhone's battery life is as horrible as it has always been.     Samsung does have some solid products, love their HDTVs...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a big person with big hands, small phones suck as the keyboards just do not work for me. No problem with bigger phones, tried, but no real use for me of a tablet. Fablet phone is fine.

I am excited for the 7" Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra which I am hoping works better for me when typing. Small phones suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like tablets for lying in bed and reading books and magazines in the evening or on an airplane.  The phone is too small for that.  I do watch YouTube videos on my phone or tablet occasionally, but at home I just usually cast them to the Samsung HDTVs  (65 inch in living room, 40 inch in bedroom). 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Though I'm a long-time iPhone fan, I am impressed w/ the Samsung Galaxy line of phones.  My sister's is 3 years old and it's battery life is still strong..great camera and screen also....my iPhone's battery life is as horrible as it has always been.     Samsung does have some solid products, love their HDTVs...

That might be the first long-term Galaxy that I've heard a positive review of. Typically, they're great out of the box and garbage 12 months later. 

The only thing Samsung I will consider is their TVs. I won't even consider anything else they make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That might be the first long-term Galaxy that I've heard a positive review of. Typically, they're great out of the box and garbage 12 months later. 

The only thing Samsung I will consider is their TVs. I won't even consider anything else they make. 

I think hers is a Galaxy 7...she's never had any issues w/ it.   I like their TVs a lot.. I have a 40 inch Samsung HDTV that came with my house, was mounted over the fireplace..great picture, works fine...it's like 9 years old...moved it to my bedroom when I got a Samsung 65 inch 4K HDR QLED HDTV for the living room this past Christmas.   Still have my Toshiba 55 inch HDTV in another room, it's 8 years old and still works great, but so heavy compared to newer flat screens...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That might be the first long-term Galaxy that I've heard a positive review of. Typically, they're great out of the box and garbage 12 months later. 

The only thing Samsung I will consider is their TVs. I won't even consider anything else they make. 

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of. I want the real thing.

Unlike my kids that love their apple phones even the newest 11 but bitch all the time about the short battery life and slow charging speed.

Excited for the even faster charging speed, camera 8K, etc. Be interesting to see if the wife wants the Galazy Z folding phone or not. She loved her Razor from Motorola back in the day.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think hers is a Galaxy 7...she's never had any issues w/ it.   I like their TVs a lot.. I have a 40 inch Samsung HDTV that came with my house, was mounted over the fireplace..great picture, works fine...it's like 9 years old...moved it to my bedroom when I got a Samsung 65 inch 4K HDR QLED HDTV for the living room this past Christmas.   Still have my Toshiba 55 inch HDTV in another room, it's 8 years old and still works great, but so heavy compared to newer flat screens...

I have been comparing the new Q9 Samsung TVs to the LG OLED Postcard TV and I have to say both are awesome looking, but I really do like the thin postcard LG TV. Gonna be hard to choose as I suspect by the time my TV dies, they will all be 8K TVs. :P 

Might be scary to see such fine details on the actors / actresses! :yikes::scared:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of. I want the real thing.

 

I was long a Sony and Toshiba fan for home theatre equipment, still have Sony blu ray and CD players...have a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch 5.1 surround sound currently.. (came with the house, still works pretty well). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was long a Sony and Toshiba fan for home theatre equipment, still have Sony blu ray and CD players...have a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch 5.1 surround sound currently.. (came with the house, still works pretty well). 

I also have a Yamaha Receiver from Costco. Just saw that Costco is closing out what was Yamahas $2,500 7 channel surround receiver for 4K TV at $499.98. I see the professional Magnolia HiFi rooms at Best Buy have the newest Yamaha 8K 7.5 Channel surround sound receivers. Gonna go play with it to see the Internet menu as they now come with an interface to compete against Roku. Would love to simplify my setup so I just have one less item to deal with, but right now Roku is just so efficient and fast for moving between streaming services.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I also have a Yamaha Receiver from Costco. Just saw that Costco is closing out what was Yamahas $2,500 7 channel surround receiver for 4K TV at $499.98. I see the professional Magnolia HiFi rooms at Best Buy have the newest Yamaha 8K 7.5 Channel surround sound receivers. Gonna go play with it to see the Internet menu as they now come with an interface to compete against Roku. Would love to simplify my setup so I just have one less item to deal with, but right now Roku is just so efficient and fast for moving between streaming services.

I haven't tried Roku, long been a Amazon Fire TV fan, but my latest Samsung HDTV has all the apps I use (Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, etc) built in... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of. I want the real thing.

Unlike my kids that love their apple phones even the newest 11 but bitch all the time about the short battery life and slow charging speed.

Excited for the even faster charging speed, camera 8K, etc. Be interesting to see if the wife wants the Galazy Z folding phone or not. She loved her Razor from Motorola back in the day.

I have been comparing the new Q9 Samsung TVs to the LG OLED Postcard TV and I have to say both are awesome looking, but I really do like the thin postcard LG TV. Gonna be hard to choose as I suspect by the time my TV dies, they will all be 8K TVs. :P 

Might be scary to see such fine details on the actors / actresses! :yikes::scared:

I would never choose a company like Samsung for home theater speakers. Choose a real speaker/audio company. 

Tell them to buy the charger for the laptop and you won't have to worry about charging speed. 

37 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was long a Sony and Toshiba fan for home theatre equipment, still have Sony blu ray and CD players...have a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch 5.1 surround sound currently.. (came with the house, still works pretty well). 

You have a real home theater setup.

 Approved GIF by memecandy

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

 

I have been comparing the new Q9 Samsung TVs to the LG OLED Postcard TV and I have to say both are awesome looking, but I really do like the thin postcard LG TV. Gonna be hard to choose as I suspect by the time my TV dies, they will all be 8K TVs. :P 

Might be scary to see such fine details on the actors / actresses! :yikes::scared:

Eventually I'll get an 8k...for now, 4k HDR QLED is fine.     Next house. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we're fairly off topic at this point but I recently got my home theater setup up and running. 

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX1300/Denon-AVR-X1300W.html

Rear speakers: Polk RC80i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC80I/Polk-Audio-RC80i.html

Front left and right speakers: Polk RC85i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC85I/Polk-Audio-RC85i.html?tp=192

Center channel: Polk S35

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS35/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?tp=189

Sub: Polk PSW505

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vh4pjN537wW/p_107PSW505/Polk-Audio-PSW505.html

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I would never choose a company like Samsung for home theater speakers. Choose a real speaker/audio company. 

Tell them to buy the charger for the laptop and you won't have to worry about charging speed. 

You have a real home theater setup.

 Approved GIF by memecandy

LOL, Yes Told my kids to pay up and buy the charger to get it faster. They still at times think Dad will buy it for them. Nope on their own now.

I do have a real Home Theater setup as stated, My Receiver is a Yamaha, I do believe Samsung could build an equal receiver but I agree their speakers suck and as such have Velodyne Subwoofers and speakers from https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/ which by the way was purchased in November 2019 by Audio Reference Co. http://www.audioreference.co.nz/

I will say they have nice stuff too, but for now I am very happy with my speakers and dual matching subs from Velodyne. 

Interesting that the guy who was all about music is now focused on Lidar for EVs. His new company is https://velodynelidar.com/ Some pretty cool tech and clearly a very smart man. I will say, he mad AMAZING Subwoofers and speakers.

Just now, ccap41 said:

I know we're fairly off topic at this point but I recently got my home theater setup up and running. 

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX1300/Denon-AVR-X1300W.html

Rear speakers: Polk RC80i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC80I/Polk-Audio-RC80i.html

Front left and right speakers: Polk RC85i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC85I/Polk-Audio-RC85i.html?tp=192

Center channel: Polk S35

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS35/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?tp=189

Sub: Polk PSW505

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vh4pjN537wW/p_107PSW505/Polk-Audio-PSW505.html

Nope not off topic considering that Polk does have in auto sounds systems that are sold. Very nice but surprised they have not made more progress on getting their speaker / sound systems into more auto's.

Sweet Setup! :metal:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By dfelt
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/12/04/samsung-galaxy-s10-5g-release-date-price-cost-verizon-att-upgrade/#2e285b67573c

      One has to wonder if the story about internal employees selling the new foldable display tech to Chinese companies has forced Samsung to speed up the release of info about their new 10 series of phones. Four models, siz cameras, massive displays and gradient colour schemes with 5G as confirmed by Verizon and AT&T, new fold-able phone makes this coming 2019 CES show exciting.

      The galaxy X is very exciting indeed, if you have not seen the developers show where they showed a masked version of the phone as they wanted to show off their screen, this is very cool tech.


      You get to see the real phone starting at 1:38, Such a cool phone.
    • By dfelt
      Samsung Battery Breakthrough
      Fast Charging and 45% Capacity Increase

      Samsung NewsRoom Announcement
      SAIT (Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology) has announced a breakthrough in developing a graphene ball coating that covers the nickel-rich cathodes and lithium-based anodes. 
      So one would ask what is the big deal? As you increase the speed of recharging a battery, it wears down the anode and cathode. The graphene ball coating not only prevents this, but also allows for an increase in capacity to go along with the faster recharging. This improves the cyclability of charging / depleting a battery. This tech also has proven to allow for a very highly stable battery with no loss of power at 60 degrees Celsius or 140 degrees Fahrenheit which is key for any electronic device but even more so for electric auto's. Graphene is 100 times more effective than copper in conducting electricity and 140 times times faster than silicon.
      Samsung says this technology allows them to take a conventional EV battery that would require 4hrs under current fast charge technology and reduce it to 12 minutes.
      To quote their new release: "SAIT’s research results are covered in-depth in this month’s edition of the science journal Nature Communications in an article entitled, “Graphene balls for lithium rechargeable batteries with fast charging and high volumetric energy densities.”SAIT has also filed two applications for the “graphene ball” technology patent in the US and Korea." 
       
       
    • By dfelt
      https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-note-8-phone-preview/

    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com
       
      Samsung, The Next LG Battery Competitor?
      Samsung has decided to be the next major Li cell supplier to the auto industry and has decided to one up LG in their quest to be the top supplier of super high density Li cells. Back in September 2016 Green Car Report stated that in an interview with Samsung, that they wanted to be equal to if not replace LG as one of the largest Li cell suppliers to the auto industry. They currently supply the cells for the BMW i line of EV auto's. In this story Samsung announced a $400 million investment in a new battery plant in Hungary which would allow them to support the growth of BMW's EV auto plans into the next century. Samsung pointed to LG's leadership in supplying batteries to 25 top tier auto companies around the world which includes GM's latest darling the Chevrolet BOLT.
      In this story, it is stated that both LG and Samsung will supply Audi with cells for their Audi EV SUV that is slated to be out in 2018 as a 2019 model. It also states that Samsung has bought a 4% stake or $449 million dollar investment in Chinese auto maker BYD which to quote the story; " BYD produced more electric cars and plug-in hybrids than any other company last year, although only a small fraction were sold outside China. "
      Clearly Samsung is wanting to be at the leadership position of the EV revolution and is willing to invest in making sure they get the sales.
      Fast Forward 4 months to an updated story by Green Car Report which is based on a story only days earlier by techcrunch.com that Samsung has a new battery cell design that allows near full recharge in 20 minutes. This is not some lowly 50 to 70 miles, but based on their new cell design and the battery pack they have built which is equal to 372 miles, this battery pack would give you 310 miles as a quick charge in 20 minutes.
      The story states that Samsung's new battery design is 10% less cells and weight versus current battery production from SDI. Now Samsung does not state if this quick charge is based on existing DC charging or what the industry is calling the new XFS charging system. XFS stands for Extreme Fast Charge and is designed to handle a minimum of 350kWh charging or more.
      Energy.gov web site has stated that they are working with the auto makers and their own researchers to make a standardized system that can handle the heavy power safely for the public so that the energy load is balanced, reduces cost as well as mitigate time to charge issues on top of cybersecurity concerns about paying for the use of these XFS Charging systems.

      XFS Charging Station concept by Electrek

      End result to quote the Energy.gov web site post:
      " Extreme fast charging is poised to accelerate mass market EV adoption as DOE and industry stakeholders work to overcome technical, cost, and safety barriers. Implementing an XFC system capable of up to 350-kW charging has the potential to increase EV utility, which in-turn would provide Americans with greater freedom of mobility and energy security. "
       
  • Recent Status Updates

    • ocnblu

      What's the frequency, Kenneth?
      · 0 replies
    • trinacriabob  »  balthazar

      It's not possible to message you.  At least, it wasn't possible to do that last summer.  So I'll post it here.  I had a crazy layover back in June at PHL ... for about 8 hours ... and wondered how far into NJ you were from Philly.  What I did is get the PHLash day pass and did the self-guided tour of Center City before heading back to the airport.  I stayed too close to the center because of time. I actually wasted time by going into South Philly.  I wanted to venture out onto the Main Line and see Villanova.  That rail line was included on the pass I bought.  I had to manage my time because of the late afternoon flight to the Coast.  Cheers.
      · 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

      Merry Christmas!
      · 1 reply
    • Robert Hall

      Last work day of the year.  My client wants me back in January...which is good, really like working from home
       
      · 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

      Well today is the day. Last day at Direct Energy.
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...