Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Samsung shows off new Foldable Flip Phone

Get ready for smaller smartphones. Samsung showed off their new foldable smartphone the Galaxy Z Flip. Small square screen on the outside, big foldable screen on the inside.

They also showed off the new Flag ship phones Galaxy S20 Phones.  WOW, so you have a choice 64 mega pixel on the small and medium phone, 108 mega pixel on the Ultra.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I will 100% pass on a folding screen phone. 

Why? Motorola has a new Razor coming, as does just about everyone. Seems a full screen Smartphone that fold in half to take up less space is the new trend.

I wonder how well these folding screens will hold up to daily use, though.   I do like the idea of smaller phones.  I really don’t want anything larger than my iPhone 7, but it seems everything is considerably larger now. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Why? Motorola has a new Razor coming, as does just about everyone. Seems a full screen Smartphone that fold in half to take up less space is the new trend.

I would wait at least 1-2 generations until they work out the kinks 

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I wonder how well these folding screens will hold up to daily use, though.   I do like the idea of smaller phones.  I really don’t want anything larger than my iPhone 7, but it seems everything is considerably larger now. 

I actually prefer larger screen, after using phones with larger screens for a while now, the smaller screens like iPhone 7 feel like a toy 

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

I actually prefer larger screen, after using phones with larger screens for a while now, the smaller screens like iPhone 7 feel like a toy 

1st part:   Dont you mean...wrinkles?    🤣

2nd part:  I got solution (in Russian accent)

Image result for ipad mini

or this one (is same Russian accent)

Image result for ipad

(In normal Canadian English accent)

Sorry, but I too, find today's phones too big, eh?  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ykX said:

I don't like the larger phones because they don't fit in pockets as easily, and a larger phone is harder to use with one hand...with the 7 I can hold in my left hand and use my thumb to launch apps anywhere on the screen..can't do that with a larger screen.  

I like my iPad and Kindle Fire for reading books and magazines, sometimes watching videos... I don't really want a phone that thinks it's a tablet.  Different use cases. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

There is almost zero chance that screen lasts 4 years like my iPhone screens have. 

37 minutes ago, ykX said:

Exactly my thinking. I'm not opposed to them when they've been tested and proven but no thank you to a first-timer.

Wasn't there a folding smartphone out just last year and it was canceled almost immediately after it broke super easy? 

Yup, Samsung Fold. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess it wasn't canceled but put on a delay but it received pretty garbage reviews. 

I remember the reviews..like after a few uses the screen was bulging and you could pry it loose w/ a fingernail.  

Though I'm a long-time iPhone fan, I am impressed w/ the Samsung Galaxy line of phones.  My sister's is 3 years old and it's battery life is still strong..great camera and screen also....my iPhone's battery life is as horrible as it has always been.     Samsung does have some solid products, love their HDTVs...

• Agree 1

As a big person with big hands, small phones suck as the keyboards just do not work for me. No problem with bigger phones, tried, but no real use for me of a tablet. Fablet phone is fine.

I am excited for the 7" Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra which I am hoping works better for me when typing. Small phones suck.

I like tablets for lying in bed and reading books and magazines in the evening or on an airplane.  The phone is too small for that.  I do watch YouTube videos on my phone or tablet occasionally, but at home I just usually cast them to the Samsung HDTVs  (65 inch in living room, 40 inch in bedroom). 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Though I'm a long-time iPhone fan, I am impressed w/ the Samsung Galaxy line of phones.  My sister's is 3 years old and it's battery life is still strong..great camera and screen also....my iPhone's battery life is as horrible as it has always been.     Samsung does have some solid products, love their HDTVs...

That might be the first long-term Galaxy that I've heard a positive review of. Typically, they're great out of the box and garbage 12 months later. 

The only thing Samsung I will consider is their TVs. I won't even consider anything else they make. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That might be the first long-term Galaxy that I've heard a positive review of. Typically, they're great out of the box and garbage 12 months later. 

The only thing Samsung I will consider is their TVs. I won't even consider anything else they make. 

I think hers is a Galaxy 7...she's never had any issues w/ it.   I like their TVs a lot.. I have a 40 inch Samsung HDTV that came with my house, was mounted over the fireplace..great picture, works fine...it's like 9 years old...moved it to my bedroom when I got a Samsung 65 inch 4K HDR QLED HDTV for the living room this past Christmas.   Still have my Toshiba 55 inch HDTV in another room, it's 8 years old and still works great, but so heavy compared to newer flat screens...

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of. I want the real thing.

Unlike my kids that love their apple phones even the newest 11 but bitch all the time about the short battery life and slow charging speed.

Excited for the even faster charging speed, camera 8K, etc. Be interesting to see if the wife wants the Galazy Z folding phone or not. She loved her Razor from Motorola back in the day.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think hers is a Galaxy 7...she's never had any issues w/ it.   I like their TVs a lot.. I have a 40 inch Samsung HDTV that came with my house, was mounted over the fireplace..great picture, works fine...it's like 9 years old...moved it to my bedroom when I got a Samsung 65 inch 4K HDR QLED HDTV for the living room this past Christmas.   Still have my Toshiba 55 inch HDTV in another room, it's 8 years old and still works great, but so heavy compared to newer flat screens...

I have been comparing the new Q9 Samsung TVs to the LG OLED Postcard TV and I have to say both are awesome looking, but I really do like the thin postcard LG TV. Gonna be hard to choose as I suspect by the time my TV dies, they will all be 8K TVs. :P 

Might be scary to see such fine details on the actors / actresses! :yikes::scared:

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of. I want the real thing.

I was long a Sony and Toshiba fan for home theatre equipment, still have Sony blu ray and CD players...have a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch 5.1 surround sound currently.. (came with the house, still works pretty well). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was long a Sony and Toshiba fan for home theatre equipment, still have Sony blu ray and CD players...have a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch 5.1 surround sound currently.. (came with the house, still works pretty well). 

I also have a Yamaha Receiver from Costco. Just saw that Costco is closing out what was Yamahas $2,500 7 channel surround receiver for 4K TV at $499.98. I see the professional Magnolia HiFi rooms at Best Buy have the newest Yamaha 8K 7.5 Channel surround sound receivers. Gonna go play with it to see the Internet menu as they now come with an interface to compete against Roku. Would love to simplify my setup so I just have one less item to deal with, but right now Roku is just so efficient and fast for moving between streaming services.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I also have a Yamaha Receiver from Costco. Just saw that Costco is closing out what was Yamahas $2,500 7 channel surround receiver for 4K TV at $499.98. I see the professional Magnolia HiFi rooms at Best Buy have the newest Yamaha 8K 7.5 Channel surround sound receivers. Gonna go play with it to see the Internet menu as they now come with an interface to compete against Roku. Would love to simplify my setup so I just have one less item to deal with, but right now Roku is just so efficient and fast for moving between streaming services.

I haven't tried Roku, long been a Amazon Fire TV fan, but my latest Samsung HDTV has all the apps I use (Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, etc) built in... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Unlike my kids that love their apple phones even the newest 11 but bitch all the time about the short battery life and slow charging speed.

Excited for the even faster charging speed, camera 8K, etc. Be interesting to see if the wife wants the Galazy Z folding phone or not. She loved her Razor from Motorola back in the day.

I have been comparing the new Q9 Samsung TVs to the LG OLED Postcard TV and I have to say both are awesome looking, but I really do like the thin postcard LG TV. Gonna be hard to choose as I suspect by the time my TV dies, they will all be 8K TVs. :P 

Might be scary to see such fine details on the actors / actresses! :yikes::scared:

I would never choose a company like Samsung for home theater speakers. Choose a real speaker/audio company. 

Tell them to buy the charger for the laptop and you won't have to worry about charging speed. 

37 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

You have a real home theater setup.

Approved GIF by memecandy

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Eventually I'll get an 8k...for now, 4k HDR QLED is fine.     Next house. 

Edited by Robert Hall

I know we're fairly off topic at this point but I recently got my home theater setup up and running. 

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX1300/Denon-AVR-X1300W.html

Rear speakers: Polk RC80i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC80I/Polk-Audio-RC80i.html

Front left and right speakers: Polk RC85i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC85I/Polk-Audio-RC85i.html?tp=192

Center channel: Polk S35

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS35/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?tp=189

Sub: Polk PSW505

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vh4pjN537wW/p_107PSW505/Polk-Audio-PSW505.html

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I would never choose a company like Samsung for home theater speakers. Choose a real speaker/audio company. 

Tell them to buy the charger for the laptop and you won't have to worry about charging speed. 

You have a real home theater setup.

Approved GIF by memecandy

LOL, Yes Told my kids to pay up and buy the charger to get it faster. They still at times think Dad will buy it for them. Nope on their own now.

I do have a real Home Theater setup as stated, My Receiver is a Yamaha, I do believe Samsung could build an equal receiver but I agree their speakers suck and as such have Velodyne Subwoofers and speakers from https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/ which by the way was purchased in November 2019 by Audio Reference Co. http://www.audioreference.co.nz/

I will say they have nice stuff too, but for now I am very happy with my speakers and dual matching subs from Velodyne. 

Interesting that the guy who was all about music is now focused on Lidar for EVs. His new company is https://velodynelidar.com/ Some pretty cool tech and clearly a very smart man. I will say, he mad AMAZING Subwoofers and speakers.

Just now, ccap41 said:

I know we're fairly off topic at this point but I recently got my home theater setup up and running. 

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1300W

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX1300/Denon-AVR-X1300W.html

Rear speakers: Polk RC80i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC80I/Polk-Audio-RC80i.html

Front left and right speakers: Polk RC85i

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC85I/Polk-Audio-RC85i.html?tp=192

Center channel: Polk S35

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS35/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?tp=189

Sub: Polk PSW505

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vh4pjN537wW/p_107PSW505/Polk-Audio-PSW505.html

Nope not off topic considering that Polk does have in auto sounds systems that are sold. Very nice but surprised they have not made more progress on getting their speaker / sound systems into more auto's.

Sweet Setup! :metal:

Polk has good stuff...some years ago a buddy of mine in Colorado was really into Dunlavy speakers..they sounded really, really good.   

My sister has a set of 70s vintage Magneplanar speakers w/ a vintage McIntosh receiver she had in her house in AZ, had a great warm sound w/ vinyl records, etc.   All that gear is in storage for now, probably going to set it up in the eventual beach house. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, dfelt said:

I do have a real Home Theater setup as stated, My Receiver is a Yamaha, I do believe Samsung could build an equal receiver but I agree their speakers suck and as such have Velodyne Subwoofers and speakers from https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/ which by the way was purchased in November 2019 by Audio Reference Co. http://www.audioreference.co.nz/

How can you have a kickass subwoofer and receiver with Samsung speakers?!? 

It is a joked that failed...

I aint even GONNA try to explain it. Just flush it down the loo...

Yes. I DO enjoy a good sound system. I, too, have got a Denon receiver. With JBL speakers.  My system is a 20 year old system. 5.1 surround.  

Im looking to upgrade to a 7.1. Possibly to a Yamaha receiver. (Or Denon or Onkyo) with better speakers.  My JBLs are not the top of the line ones... But not now. My system is decent enough. I do need a bigger TV though...OLED or QLED as well...

PS....nice purchase.  DENONS are awesome! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

How can you have a kickass subwoofer and receiver with Samsung speakers?!? 

I do not have Samsung Speakers, everything I have is Velodyne. Guess ya need help with English reading? :P 

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, dfelt said:

That is weird as I have had nothing but positive experiences with Samsung phones, TV's, Blue ray players, Speakers. The only thing in my home theater setup that is not Samsung is the receiver as they do not make a 7 channel surround sound system other than their fake virtual surround that I am not a fan of.

It's hard to understand how I wasn't supposed to know you didn't have Samsung speakers from this. 

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

I read "subwoofers" and skipped right over and clicked the link... 

face palm GIF

But, in my defense, when I clicked the link and searched through their site I only saw subwoofers and no surround speakers. I still cannot find speakers... WHERE IZ THEY?!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's hard to understand how I wasn't supposed to know you didn't have Samsung speakers from this. 

I read "subwoofers" and skipped right over and clicked the link... 

face palm GIF

But, in my defense, when I clicked the link and searched through their site I only saw subwoofers and no surround speakers. I still cannot find speakers... WHERE IZ THEY?!

DOH, Valid point, should have stated that better.

That is the problem with being bought by another speaker company, they kill off all the relationship speakers. So at the time Velodyne was sold by higher end audio stores here in Washington and Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers is what I bought with them. Velodyne and Martin Logan has a close long term relationship but I now see that it does not show up.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of speakers, any of you audiophiles have experience w/ wireless home theatre speakers?   Next time I set something up I really don't want to futz with running wires through walls for surround sound..

32 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of speakers, any of you audiophiles have experience w/ wireless home theatre speakers?   Next time I set something up I really don't want to futz with running wires through walls for surround sound..

Yes, my son when he bought his Samsung Qled 75" Q8 TV he also bought from Costco at the time the Bose Lifestyle speaker system. They install very easy and other than power, the wireless system works well so your able to put the bass anywhere. For his place, more than loud enough.

Update, was wondering who else has come out with wireless speakers and I see lots of options now. Worth it to consider just having power where the speakers are and wireless connections for clean easy use. Will look into this more when I upgrade my home theater system.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-wireless-speakers/

• 2 weeks later...