Item: 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

On 6/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, balthazar said:

I have a worn owner's manual, a worn Protect-O-Plate book (but not from my car), a mint accessories catalog. Was looking at picking up the deluxe sales brochure and an Electro-Cruise mini-brochure. Have lots of print ads...

I got an additional large cache of vintage print that I intend to sell. There's two boxes of Pontiac stuff....if I find any '64 Pontiac things, I'll save them for your consideration. 

• Upvote 1

Got other exhaust manifold separated. Boy- a ton of rust came out of that one. I believe I can reuse these but they're going to take some clean up work- a couple hours worth, then paint them with exhaust 'cast iron' paint. 

I found a dyno test; the repro 'Ram Air' manifolds are only good for an average of 7 HP over stock pieces. Not worth the money if you already have.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 10.27.52 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

• 2 weeks later...

• pulled the master cylinder & power booster to cross-reference for dual MC upgrade.
• pulled LH rear wheel/brake to evaluate braking components. Drum is fine, shoes look fine but might replace those anyway. Hydraulics will be 100% new.
• stripped the linkage and a vent apparatus off the trans; going to the rebuilder next week. Also did some scraping/ wire brushing/ burr filing on the case exterior.

• Like 1

• More cleaning of trans exterior.
• started cleaning valley pan. It's 2 pieces of stamped steel, spot welded together around the perimeter (22 spot welds). PCV vents into the space between, and it has a few 'drain' ports on the underside. Hardened grease accumulates inside, and it's certainly advisable to clean it out internally as best as possible. Different suggestions out there... or pony up $150 and buy a fresh repro one. Pondering if I can find a tub big enough to soak it for a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Back on the car recently. My buddy’s motor finally made it out of the builder’s shop, next my brother is taking his ‘65 389 Tri-P and my ‘64 389 Tri-P is going in at the same time.

Got the valley pan cleaned, tried soaking in mineral spirits but that did almost nothing, so I BBQ’d it at around 400-450 for half an hour, cooked the grease inside to dried ash. Cleaned the inside as good as it’s going to get, then slim-coated some JBWeld on some of the deeper pits. Light sand, a few coats of primer, then paint the top side.

Switched my sand blast cabinet over to glass bead. Going to hit the valve covers so I can paint them. 

Got a gasket & filter for the trans, need to order frt & rr seals so that’s freshened/done.

Once I get a repro exhaust system here, up on my buddy’s lift it goes for exhaust/ fuel & brake lines.

Cleaned the exterior of the transmission off, took off the pan and thoroughly cleaned & primed it. Fluid looked excellent/clean, no metallic particles found in fluid/pan. Have a new filter, gasket and new front/rear seals to go in once pan is painted. Weather for painting slipping away- low 50s for the highs currently, but can always spray in the basement.

Exhaust ordered, but turnaround time is 8-12 weeks. That's still works.

Edited by balthazar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• Trans is all buttoned up now- new front & rear seals, pan gasket, filter. Exterior cleaned off, linkage gone thru/lubed. It's off to the side, waiting.
• My helper did a cursory cleaning of the cylinder heads- removed grease & flaky rust.
• Finished deburring the lifter galley & block exterior.

Going to take the block & heads to the engine builder next week, along with my brother's '65 GTO 389.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from dropping the engine / pieces off at the engine builder. He has a stellar reputation, did engine work for Bob Glidden for years (Pro-Stock), but he's not the fastest. Still; he seemed stoked to do a stock rebuild rather than super-rare / high-po stuff. Had a factory 440 6-pack block sitting there going back into a numbers-matching MoPar. Said he'll disassemble/evaluated my motor next week, so that's exciting.

• Like 3