Add one to the list

Last month in mid may I went on a business trip with a co worker and friend since he wanted to go see his parents in a town just outside of Duluth Minnesota where we were at doing a job for a sister shop. Since all of us planned to go around on vaction for the next week we decided to go north up into canada and camp way up there are goal was to go up into the northren territories. Well some where in northren canada there was F*cking snow still on the ground so the first 2 nights where pretty cold while i heard it rained and was hot down here. On the third day we went driving around and we came across some very nice 4 lane hiway with a cement divider and all. It was pretty icing in the moring but all was gone around noonish. Im doing about 120 Km/h or whatever around 75 mph since i felt safe and comfortable doing that speed and the limit was like 110 Km/h. There are two lanes going either way and im in the right lane while some 20 year old girl is going way to fast in the left lane and she hit some ice about 20 ft behind my truck and started sliding a little im watching this all in my mirror. She had a kia or some $h!ty car like that i really cant rember much that went on. I was so amazed that i didnt do anything to escape or brake or drive into a ditch i just keep going the same speed. my co worker stoped talking to me since he knew i was pre occupied and he looks back to see what im watching. as he looks back my friend starts looking back to see what we are watching and then she hit my driver side rear tire which threw the truck sides ways and i hit the cement barrier with the front passenger corner doing about 70 mph. then the back of the truck swung and hit the wall causing the driver side to slide down the wall facing the wrong way in traffic. the girl ends up smashed into the wall too. I was fine my co worker was fine and we where wearing our seat belts. But my friend in the back he was sitting in the middle so he could be up closer and talk more clearly. He wasnt wearing his belt. on impact he was tossed all around in the back smacking his head on the window which knocked him out. the girl ended up being killed some how, she died in the ems truck. My friend is currently at U of M medical center or the Mayo clinic he keeps geting transfered back and forth and stuff. He is going through rehibilation to learn how to walk again since his hip and pelvus bone or somthing broke and fractured. Also he is learning how to communicate verbaly again. he can understand if you talk to him but he cant talk back, he can write and type fine though. he lost his short term memory for now since when he wakes up he is angry since he cant understand why he is there and why he cant talk. being in a acciedent sucks, but in a different country sucks even more. Now if i go to Canada i can be denied access if the guys a dick, since im considered a "trouble maker or something".

Theres the Damage it doesnt look bad in photos but in real life its horrible. The underneath pics dont do justice. But the frame is twisted and bent in a S pattern. The truck is dead if you turn it on nothing happens just the message center lights up with major warnings. No response to the starter. The Air bags did not deploy. I thought i did but i guess i never got that recall done. There was a faulty sensor or somthing. since the air bags didnt deploy and it ended up only being $12,000 (US) worth of damage to my 01 silverado. The Insurance company asked me if the wanted to fix the truck. I deneied and said that it should not be put back on the road. My truck is either being rebuilt or in a junk yard in Canada i dont know what they decided. I was thinking about the bent frame and all the electronic 4wd stuff. plus i couldnt drive it ever again since it would be bulit up on other smashed up truck parts. Thats all the pics i took i really didnt even want to see it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently looking for a replacement truck.

I was just thinking tho i dont know if i wrote that right but i rember facing oppiste traffic and the driver side door up against the wall since we crawled out the passenger door. unless we spun at some point. since we where against the left wall. im having a Memory lapse or somthing i dont know what went on truely if i remeber later ill edit it.

Edited by capriceman

It's so sad when others people stupidity causes other harm. I hope your friend can be the way he was before some day. Also I think that the damage done to the truck w/ hitting a concrete barrier at 70mph isn't to bad, even with the frame damage. Most other vehicles would've had a much worser outcome.

I hope he gets better too thanks BV and dedtonesfan.

his 100% recovery chance is at about 77%. which is good i hope.

Yeah the truck does seem not that bad. the lady's car was F'ed up tho it was just a mangled pile of Aluminum.

So whats C and G's current "recent Accident count" up too? But this is getting real bad.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm sorry to hear about this. Glad to hear you and your co-worker are doing fine and I hope things turn out alright for your friend. :(

Edited by YellowJacket894

glad you weren't hurt, hope your friend gets recovers well.

still kinda sad that that happened, wonder if the other car drfited into your lane from wind or if it was just heading that way for other reasons? must've been hard for the girl's family too though.

thanks guys!

WMJ that GMC looks like a winner.

Yeah while filling out paper work i talked to the family of the lady. They were horrified they asked me what went wrong but since i had a minor memory lose i said she lost control and hit me and i didnt remeber anything elses. turns out she was calling work saying she was late while she lost control.

This taught me though speeding to get some where faster i guess doesnt pay. I could ruin this familys life and take them to court but i decided that they are in for some tough times and that only the insurance companies would do whatever it is that they do.

wonder if the other car drfited into your lane from wind or if it was just heading that way for other reasons?

there was a little low spot in the road in the left lane that had a 2x2 ft section of ice that she caught and over reacted in counter steer and then lost control. if she would of done nothing she would of just side swiped me or the wall not going head on into the side of my truck.

Wow, that's really sad news. I'm really sorry for both your friend and the lady that was in the other vehicle. Hopefully your friend pulls through just fine very quickly.

Also, I can assure you that trying to hurry to be on time for something isn't good: last time I did it, I ended up in an accident, too.